Anyone think Best Picture was Staged?

Tools    

Moonlight is amazing. It deserves it over La La Land by far.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
According to La La Land fans, life on earth is over as we know it.
LOL. Now the morning after was probably the only time I've been sad imdb closed. LLL board would have been hysterical, and not necessarily the funny kind. God there were some weird old people on there. If you hated the movie - you got bashed. If you liked the movie but didnt bend over and kiss the floor each time it's name was mentioned you got bashed.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
LOL. Now the morning after was probably the only time I've been sad imdb closed. LLL board would have been hysterical, and not necessarily the funny kind. God there were some weird old people on there. If you hated the movie - you got bashed. If you liked the movie but didnt bend over and kiss the floor each time it's name was mentioned you got bashed.
You remember, Dusty, right? Did he really pass away?

Remind me - who is Dusty?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Remind me - who is Dusty?
From IMDB.. I think he had been there almost as long as me (16 years).. Someone said he passed, but I didn't see any proof. The guy just assumed because he stopped posting.

I'm not sure I ever came across him but I vaguely recall on the LLL board someone mentioning a poster who died.

Definitely not staged. The two people involved from PW got dumped.

It wasn't staged.

However, if we are to believe that Moonlight wasn't shoved down the throats of the voters, then we are mistaken.

I guess it's kind of interesting that in the same year Trump was the winner of the election, that Moonlight wins.

We just don't know how to vote anymore
What did you want to win Best Picture?

Welcome to the human race...
lol and you want to complain about Moonlight being the film that got shoved down voters' throats

Did either get shoved down peoples throats? I'm seriously asking, i don't really know what people mean by that when they say it so i usually just ignore it. haha. I always miss out on all the throat-shoving.

Did either get shoved down peoples throats? I'm seriously asking, i don't really know what people mean by that when they say it so i usually just ignore it. haha. I always miss out on all the throat-shoving.

Me too. I think the only movies Sweden shoves down anyone's throats is EFFING FROZEN and its ilk. *ragequits the planet*

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's just raul's way of saying that certain films become favourites less on their own merits and more because of some external agenda. Given the context, one can interpret Moonlight winning less because it's a good film and more because the Academy was trying to overcompensate for all the controversy they attracted thanks to #Oscarssowhite drawing extra attention to their notoriously homogeneous preferences. I contend that La La Land became the awards favourite since it played so heavily to those same preferences by being a musical about Hollywood - hell, of this decade alone, three Best Picture winners have involved Hollywood to one extent or another (The Artist, Argo, Birdman). Everyone expected La La Land to win because it was the most obvious choice, so naturally when it turned out that Moonlight won instead people were inclined to suspect it wasn't a "legitimate" win and was voted for out of white guilt or whatever.

It is interesting to read this as being the inverse of a couple of years back when the big favourites ended up being Boyhood and Birdman, except in that case it was the technically ambitious movie about acting that beat out the experimental coming-of-age indie.

I see what you are saying Iro and i think you are right, don't think it applies to Raul though. He's said that he just really loves La La Land and that he knows he's biased against Moonlight which is why he's not going to watch it for a while so he can give it a fair chance. Most of his posts about Moonlight have been jokes since the initial stabs at it which he owned up to.

A less controversial non-merit-based reason for Moonlight winning could be "hey, it's cool that this indie film came out of nowhere," as opposed to some racial politics thing.

A less controversial non-merit-based reason for Moonlight winning could be "hey, it's cool that this indie film came out of nowhere," as opposed to some racial politics thing.
I saw this last night and yes, I think it;s cool it came out of nowhere but I really dont think it deserved the BP. Good on Barry Jenkins but I wont be watching any of his other movies if that's his usual style with colour palette.