Typecast actors

Tools    

Who are the actors that tend to be typecast? I just flicked on the telly to see the perpetual youngster Matthew Broderick (in The Freshman or something - looked quite average) and it crossed my mind. What about these:

Tom Berenger - always grizzled and angry

Keanu Reeves - Perpetually confused

Arnie and Sly - I hope I don't have to identify this one...

Tom Hanks - caring, sweet etc.

There were a few more that I thought of but forgot.

What are your thoughts?

MovieForums Extra

I think that Hugh Grant definitely fits the description, always the clumsy, witty Englishman.

Robert DeNiro - tough guy no matter what he plays (exception maybe Awakenings)

Robin Williams - always the "good" guy, kind and caring

That's about all I can think of at the moment

MovieForums Extra

Oh yeah, the most obvious one just hit me!

Jim Carey, always the ridiculous comedian

About Jim Carrey...

What about "The Truman Show" and "Man on the Moon?"

Jim carrey can do a lot more than he's given credit for.

How about the SNL crew? Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, David Spade, the late Chris Farley, Steve Martin, Bill Murray, et al...none of them stray far from their comedy.

MovieForums Extra

I think the Truman Show is kind of the exception, but have you seen Man on the Moon?? If anything he was the ridiculous comedian in that movie! I loved MOTM, the way Jim Carey made you love his character then hate him, on and off, it takes a really talented actor to be able to do that...too bad he got snubbed at the Oscars!

How 'bout someone who always likes to typecast *himself* - Woody Allen.

Apart from in his early slapstick films, have you ever seen Woody not play a neurotic, love-troubled New Yorker?

You're right about Woody - and here's hoping he stays the way he is. "Small Time Crooks" was good.

Oh, and concerning MOTM - I'd have to say that it didn't fit with his usual goofy slapstick routine...simply because he was merely imitating Andy Kaufman, better than anyone I'd ever seen. If I closed my eyes, I don't know if I could tell the difference.

MovieForums Extra

I get the Comedy Channel, and it shows "The Taxi" weeknights at 7:30...when I compare Andy Kaufman to Jim Carrey, they are absolutely identical, I couldn't believe it! I saw MOTM first, then the series, and I was completely stunned!

Actually, in the series, Andy Kaufman doesn't get all that many lines, which surprised me. Sometimes in the whole show he'll come on once and say "Thank you very much" and that's it! But still, it's one hell of a movie!

That movie is really underated...and Carrey's performance in it is even more underated. Makes me angry...

Freddie Prinze Jr. - Big Man on Campus in Three-Word-Titled movies

gary oldman - da bad guy
stevan segal - the stupid muscly guy who can't act
jenna jameson - naturally i know nothing of this person, i am an innocent 14 year old

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that was great!

hugh grant is the personification of the type cast actor...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hugh Grant.

Amanda Plummer.

Has she ever not been cast as a weirdo?
Difficult to say isn't it? She's far too interesting not to . Brad Dourif says she's the best actor he's ever worked with.