MoFo Lists

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
What's wrong with the Wizard of Oz Escape? I'm only 20 and just got the 3-disc edition on DVD few months ago, mainly because of Blue Velvet but it's still pretty fun.
Glad to hear someone else likes it. I was starting to worry; I adore The Wizard of Oz.

This idea that somehow we had it better back in the day to see older movies is ass backward. There was no TCM. There was barely HBO in most markets until the early '80s. VCRs didn't become mainstream until the early '80s. If you were a budding film buff in the pre-VCR/pay cable era, you had to wait for movies to show up on regular broadcast television. Hunting through the TV Guide and figuring if you had to stay up late to see The Maltese Falcon or Singin' in the Rain or, the if cinema gods smiled on you, something from Kurosawa or Bergman. This ability to walk into an establishment and pick out the movie you wanted to see virtually whenever you wanted to see it was unheard of. You know, unless you lived near the USC or NYU campus and had your own projector. And now this generation of budding film buffs finds is quaint that you used to have to actually walk into a video store to see what they had on the shelves. Just NetFlix it! Oh, what spoiled little monkeys so many of you guys are...AND YOU STILL TAKE IT FOR GRANTED! "You" seem to still spend most of that incredibly luxury getting the recent stuff and not catching up with Huston and Welles and Hawks and Truffaut and on and on and on.

Spud, if you look on the lists people have filled out, it's generally not Star Wars and Rocky and Aiplane! that they haven't seen. It's the stuff from the '20s through the '60s. That stuff is much more readily available now than it was in 1975 or even 1985.

In the U.S.A. anyway, no matter what little podunk town you live in, no matter what kind of limited budget you may have, there is amazing access to so much of the world's great cinema today. I wish more people would get excited by it and take advantage of this unprecedented availability. But alas....
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Agreed. I wondered when I saw that original post if the person wrote out the opposite of what they meant. Just last week I was sitting watching Polanski's Knife in the Water, which had just appeared on my doorstep in my mailbox, and was thinking how amazing it is to be able to have a film like this mailed to you in DVD quality in one day, watch it, and send it back the very next day, only to find some Indy film or rare Italian piece in your box the day after that.

Love it....

Holds: The Falcon and the Snowman just arrived, so I shall take that in later tonight or sometime tomorrow. I am looking forward to it after your recommendation.... I know, I know, I should have that one under my belt already.....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This idea that somehow we had it better back in the day to see older movies is ass backward. There was no TCM...VCRs didn't become mainstream until the early '80s.
This is very true. I think I doubled the amount of films I had seen after joining lovefilm. And being able to skyplus stuff off of Filmfour and TCM is brilliant.

Oh, what spoiled little monkeys so many of you guys are...AND YOU STILL TAKE IT FOR GRANTED! "You" seem to still spend most of that incredibly luxury getting the recent stuff and not catching up with Huston and Welles and Hawks and Truffaut and on and on and on.
I think this kind of condescending comment is quite unnecessary. So you have seen all the films on the list and the rest of us haven't. Can't you just feel smug and superior rather than resorting to petty name calling? Most people are on this site because they love movies and want to watch more. Most people are probably inspired by this list idea to watch more. I don't see that having a go at people for not spending all their spare time catching up with Hawks and Truffuat is at all called for.

I think this kind of condescending comment is quite unnecessary. So you have seen all the films on the list and the rest of us haven't. Can't you just feel smug and superior rather than resorting to petty name calling? .
When I read what Pikey wrote I thought, it was his pathetic attempt at humour

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I think this kind of condescending comment is quite unnecessary. So you have seen all the films on the list and the rest of us haven't. Can't you just feel smug and superior rather than resorting to petty name calling? Most people are on this site because they love movies and want to watch more. Most people are probably inspired by this list idea to watch more. I don't see that having a go at people for not spending all their spare time catching up with Hawks and Truffuat is at all called for.
Well, I wasn't having a go at anybody on the site or even in this thread in particular, but talking about the younger generation in general, the NetFlix/download generation who while only fifteen or so years removed from the VCR generation just doesn't seem to use the resources the way any budding film lover should.

But that you took it so personally, I guess it cut close to the quick.

And of course chastising people, any people, for not watching Howard Hawks and François Truffaut flicks is necessary!!!

In the U.S.A. anyway, no matter what little podunk town you live in,
That's the second time I've ever heard that word. First time was while watching 'A History of Violence'.

I'm like: "what did he just say? WTF is a podunk?"

I even had to turn the subtitles on to make sure I heard it right.

Ok, I just had to say that. You may all continue now.

Phrasing aside, Holden's right in that access to film (classic or otherwise) is greater than ever. Online rentals and movie downloads, in particular, make the amount of effort required to peruse the classics far, far lower than it's ever been before.

Of course, as we go on the list of great and/or influential movies grows substantially, as does the number of films and shows vying for our attention, so this generation does face some other difficulties in finding time for classic films.

Well, movies aside, I for one am glad to be able to use the pot inside the house instead of outside and using corncobs to wipe.

But that you took it so personally, I guess it cut close to the quick.
I didn't take it all personally. I think I make good use of online rentals etc. to watch more older films as I said in my post, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You make assumptions about 'the younger generation' despite having protested at being 'only 37' on a previous post. You say you weren't having a go at anyone on the thread, but your use of 'you guys' in your post implies differently.

Oh, what spoiled little monkeys so many of you guys are...AND YOU STILL TAKE IT FOR GRANTED!
I simply objected to this kind of name calling and shouting, which does appear to be directed at other people on the thread. I just didn't think it was necessary in the context of this thread.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm developing a slight case of RSI, perhaps not seen in these hands since my first viewing of Barbarella...

I'll take a break.

Only 89% for '100 laughs', Tacitus? Shame on you

Btw did you know they had closed the bbc boards completely? I hadn't been on there since June so got a bit of a shock when I found they weren't there...

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yoda, as admin and owner of this site, you really must get your numbers up. Shame on you.

I was surprised that my lowest number is about 56%. Yay me.

And thanks, Holds, for defending us "oldsters" because frankly, I see my own kids (even the "old" one) taking for granted the incredible access to any sort of entertainment. Heck, you can even watch your Netflix flicks online in about 30 seconds, without having to wait a day for them to show up at your door.

There were so many times as a kid/teen when I'd want to stay up late to watch a movie that was finally coming on TV but wasn't allowed. Devastated! If you missed it at the theater, your next chance to see it was YEARS and YEARS down the road. If you had HBO (which I remember when it was NEW), then maybe it was only a FEW years till you saw it. But if you had only broadcast cable, GOOD LUCK waiting that patiently for a movie you missed at the theater!

And older movies? Nice try. No late-night movie channels then. Heck, very few channels even ran 24 hours a day, let alone played movies for you.

I remember renting our first VCR when Yoda was a baby. It was such a big deal that we had friends over to watch the TWO movies we rented along with the VCR (which weighed a ton). We were so excited.

And no, I'm not ancient. I'm ONLY 46 and I owned Nirvana's Off the Deep End and Pearl Jam's Ten and Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine before some of you were going through puberty! Not old!

Harrumph. Whippersnappers.

Crikey Nebbit, you've seen a fair few! More than Yoda, shall be expecting some more film orientated, analytical, critical posts from you from now on.
You will be waiting a long time, talking is my thing

Hey, I don't think I've taken it for granted at all. See my post above.

That said, yeah, my numbers should be higher. I sometimes wonder whether running this site has caused me to watch more movies, as t often sparks my interest in things, or fewer, as I've put so much time into it.

Getting Netflix (ironically enough, from you) last year has made a huge difference, however. I've been plowing through classics since then.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Only 89% for '100 laughs', Tacitus? Shame on you
I've always preferred TV comedy to cinematic, for some reason.

I don't think I'll even bother filling out the Musicals list, y'know, as they bring me out in a rash thus I actively avoid all contact with the buggers.

Btw did you know they had closed the bbc boards completely? I hadn't been on there since June so got a bit of a shock when I found they weren't there...
The weird thing is that I logged into the boards (for the first time in a year) on the day that they closed for good. It's a real shame as I can remember the days when it was a fantastic place to talk movies (and more, until that got ruined).

The mods allowed a thread where folk could post links to other forums but mine got removed because some arsewit complained that I'd posted an email address. If you've got Bridget's addy I'd be grateful if you'd throw me a PM.

EDIT - I'm with you on the BFI list too. It might give some of the non-BritFos some fresh ideas on what they consider 'good'.

Yeh, who doesn't love social realism.......
I hope you were being sarcastic, cause social realism sucks! People should stick to real British movies like Austin Powers!