User Tagging

Tools    

Yeah, I literally just explained the point: before you had no idea when someone replied to you, and now you do. That's so patently, obviously useful that it feels silly to have to say so. There's a reason every major social media site (and newer forum software) has a similar feature.

And the "clutter" I like to avoid has to do with the number of items on the page. This folds into the existing system.

But, as I've said several times: you'll be able to opt out. So if you don't like it, there's still zero problem.

Seriously, I look at that Mentions page -- and I feel like I'm in some sort of Movie Forums nightmare.

Like, worse than the real life Movie Forums nightmare.

Yeah, I literally just explained the point: before you had no idea when someone replied to you, and now you do. That's so patently, obviously useful that it feels silly to have to say so.
Not to me.... maybe 'cause I'm psychic. I automatically know if there's a message waiting for me. This is too much.

There's a reason every major social media site (and newer forum software) has a similar feature.
This place has never been, and should never be, a social media site.

Not to me.... maybe 'cause I'm psychic. I automatically know if there's a message waiting for me. This is too much.
I concede that this feature is probably very annoying to psychics.

This place has never been, and should never be, a social media site.
Agreed. But newer forum software uses it, too. And the ability to know when someone has said something to you seems like a pretty obvious enhancement to a site that's nothing but people saying things to each other.

I actually like that feeling of remembering where you last posted something... and thinking, Oh yeah, I've gotta go back to that thread and see if anybody responded to my maniacal ranting. I like how those reminders just pop up out of nowhere in my consciousness. And if I forget about it, I forgot about it - it wasn't important, anyway.

Now that feeling has been replaced with.... annoying mentions. Which don't really do anything for me, anyway.

To me, this is like using Movie Forums with a wheelchair. I feel like all of these "helpful" canes and things are being shoved into my hands. While I can walk and surf around just fine without them.

What exactly are you trying to convince me of? I said you'll be able to opt-out. In fact, I literally stopped working on that option to type this post.

You will be able to opt out. Maybe in, like, ten minutes. Therefore, there will be no problem. The hellscape that is finding out promptly when someone's replied to you will be no more.

Here ya' go: Edit Options. It's at the end of the Messaging and Notifications area: "Suppress notifications any time you're quoted or mentioned in a post." Boom.

Right now, this just suppresses them, so if you turn it back on, they'll suddenly show up. I'll see if I can actually block them out while it's off and only have them accumulate when it's on, but that'll take a bit longer, and I didn't want to put you through the agony of these notifications any longer than I had to. You're free! Freeeee!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
@Sexy Celebrity . Yeah, i should've been president we all agree with that now. You guys will just have to deal with the atrocities @Miss Vicky regime hands us.
The president is a puppet. Yoda is a dictator and I actually like this feature, as long as nobody goes ape ***** TONGO on it, like Sexy with the game.

Very rarely do I actually see people type an @ symbol before a name here on MoFo.

The hellscape that is finding out promptly when someone's replied to you will be no more.
It really doesn't impress me. The tagging thing is fun. I will say that's probably the best addition you've made lately, but it's also annoying and not necessary. I feel like an old you would have heard about this idea and said.... no way, it'll cause too much chaos. Suddenly you're big into clutter and chaos.

Maybe I just don't like the mentions and the "someone's quoted you" notifications being on the same page. Too cluttery. Too many eye vegetables (the opposite of eye candy).

@Movie Max you very rarely see that because it was just implemented yesterday.

Destiny has the best of both worlds, she can call attention to anyone she wants and since her name is made up of crazy characters it's difficult to mention her.

It really doesn't impress me.
Then don't use it.

The tagging thing is fun. I will say that's probably the best addition you've made lately, but it's also annoying and not necessary.
Kind of like complaining about a feature you can turn off.

I feel like an old you would have heard about this idea and said.... no way, it'll cause too much chaos.
I literally know this isn't true, because I actively tried to do this years ago, but gave up when I ran into some difficulty.

Suddenly you're big into clutter and chaos.
More notifications aren't clutter. More items on the page would be.

Maybe I just don't like the mentions and the "someone's quoted you" notifications being on the same page. Too cluttery. Too many eye vegetables (the opposite of eye candy).
I actually did have a filter for each type, but it had some unintended display effects, and I asked myself what purpose it would actually serve, and I realized I couldn't actually think of a reason someone would want or need to differentiate between those. In both cases, someone's addressing them. How they do it doesn't really matter.

@CosmicRunaway

I've never heard that term before - "eye vegetables" - I just made it up.

I mean, people were suffering. I couldn't just stand idly by.
Thank you, Mother Teresa.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
@Movie Max you very rarely see that because it was just implemented yesterday.
I mean as a habit from twitter, or elsewhere. If you're not in the habit of typing @, you probably won't overuse it like Sexy's game.

I mean, people were suffering. I couldn't just stand idly by.
Now people will be suffering because they can't mention people who have it turned off. What are you going to do about that? Huh?