[NEW THING] Clubs

Tools    

Hey. It's been awhile since I've added new stuff, even though I've had half a dozen new features at least partially done for awhile now, so I figured it's time to roll up my digital sleeves and get a couple of these out the door. So, here's Clubs.

What are Clubs?

For now, Clubs are groups you join for directors you like. The Clubs you've joined show up on your profile, and each group has its own page with related discussions (tagged by the club's Curator), recent reviews of that director's films, and a log of which of their films other members have seen.

That's nice, but it's kinda sparse

It is! That's partly by design: instead of delaying this and adding features that may or may not be interesting to people, I decided to launch a bare-bones version so I can collect feedback and figure out what to add.

For example: do people mainly just want an easy way to signal who their favorite directors are, in the way they display their favorite movies? Do they want to be able to easily find lots of stuff about the director in one place? Do they want to make it easier for new people to discover them and start discussions about them? Or something else entirely?

How do I join/start a club?

To join one, just find it on the Clubs page and hit the big JOIN button. You can leave at any time with the same button. If you want to start one, just send me a message and I'll see what we can do. Obviously, any new club has to be for a moderately popular director, and you'll have to be willing to agree to a few responsibilities as Curator. Right now those responsibilities are very minimal, but they might grow if the feature as a whole does.

What kind of stuff might be added to it?

I'm open to ideas, but here's a few examples:
  • Notifications when a new thread/thread/review/seen entry is added to one of your Clubs.
  • More advanced statistics about which members have seen which films, how they've rated them, etc.
  • External links to essays about them on other sites, and places to buy or watch their films.
And, of course: any cool thing you guys think of that I haven't.

Can we have Clubs for other things?

Not yet, but yes, I'd like to do this, too. But I need feedback for that, too: what things, and how should it work? With directors some of the features are obvious, but what about actors? Same idea? What about individual movies: even worth doing, since we already have Favorites? What about genres? Et cetera.

Why doesn't the Wes Anderson club have any "Recently Seen" films?

Right now, the only films that show up there are ones that are checked off in the Lists area, which isn't every film by every director who has a club.

Obviously, this is going to have to be addressed soon. The tentative plan is to start allowing people to mark any film as having been seen, and to rate any film without having to also post a review of it. In fact, this expansion is one of the reasons this has taken as long as it has: because that's a really big feature, potentially, and I'd originally wondered if I had to launch them simultaneously.

I can't promise I'll implement any specific feature, naturally, in part because some will take more work than others, but I'd genuinely like to hear feedback on this and, if there's a consensus for a good idea that can be reasonably implemented, I'd love to have you guys help shape this thing. And if it's nobody's cup of tea, hey, that's useful information, too.

First input, Spielberg, Verhoeven, Donner, Tarantino, Nolan, Lynch.

Out of those, I'd probably only be in on the Spielberg and Verhoeven myself, but def need those guys in there.

FYI, this is basically a formalized version of the MoFo Director Fan Clubs thread. I grabbed some preexisting users from there, if you're wondering why you've already joined some. I wasn't thorough, though, so please join any ones you'd like, even if only to test the system a bit.

First input, Spielberg, Verhoeven, Donner, Tarantino, Nolan, Lynch.

Out of those, I'd probably only be in on the Spielberg and Verhoeven myself, but def need those guys in there.
Good call.

Anybody interested in acting as Curator? As I mentioned in the first post, this doesn't involve too much responsibility right now. It'll probably never involved a huge amount, either.

And I'd say, depending on how all this shakes out, that we try to limit each person to being Curator of just a couple of clubs, so we can spread things around a bit. Obviously we can make exceptions if spots go unfilled and all that.

Just joined Scorsese and PTA . If you add Lynch i'd suggest any Twin Peaks Discussions be added, i'm rewatching and posting about it for the revival right now and hopefully others will join me.

Is there an actual link anywhere on MoFo apart from the one in the OP?

I've saved the page as a favourite on my IE in the interim.

Is there an actual link anywhere on MoFo apart from the one in the OP?
Not yet. I'm kinda pondering where to make room for it, and part of me thinks of this feature as being in beta for now, anyway.

In the meantime I could just toss the link on people's profiles under the Clubs tab, to make it easier to get at.

Yeah this looks awesome as hell, I'm just curious how you've figured we're going to do this considering the amount of filmmakers there are?

I'll curate a Fulci Club. I'll leave Argento to CiCi if he wants it. I'll also curate an Eli Roth club.

Yeah this looks awesome as hell, I'm just curious how you've figured we're going to do this considering the amount of filmmakers there are?
Hmmm, I guess that depends on what you mean. Are you asking if we plan to add, like, everyone, or are you wondering if it'll be kind of unwieldy once we reach a certain number?

I can certainly curate the Verhoeven Club if it's started
Shocker of the year. You got it.

It still takes a bit of legwork for me to set these up, but I'll try to make the turnaround relatively quick. I'll get back to you soon, hopefully no later than tomorrow.

Hmmm, I guess that depends on what you mean. Are you asking if we plan to add, like, everyone, or are you wondering if it'll be kind of unwieldy once we reach a certain number?
I think if you add a search feature and whatnot, the latter won't be too difficult. I meant the first one. Maybe not everyone, but of course we're planning more than the few we have now, and I'm just curious how you have figured we would go about this? Will it be per request, or are you just going to start adding a bunch of directors? Either works for me. You're the genius here.

From the looks of it, it's working like a consolidation of threads on the regular forums and sub-forums.
I'm not savvy on it all but I'd guess it works through tags?