Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I just saw this extraordinary film which I randomly stumbled upon "Johnny Got His Gun" (1971).

The plot: A soldier hit by a mortar shell during World War I, he loses his legs, arms, mouth, ears and eyes, but he's still alive, trapped in dreams and darkness, not knowing what is reality.

Has anyone seen it here?

5/5 I highly recommend it to anyone
I've had this on my watchlist for a while. I'm going to move it up.

Murder In The First

Saw this ages ago and recorded it the other night on TV.

Excellent film if a little convoluted in some of the twisting of history to make the characters more appealing to the masses. Doesn't ever get mawkish or sickly though.

Excellent performances though and Slater was at the top of his game as well.
Kevin Bacon is a huge surprise. First time I saw this made me realise how good he can be but this recent viewing still shook me. Great performance.
Gary Oldman, as always is a chameleon but not sure why he gets a top billing. He's not really seen a lot.

The ending, as in the last 10 minutes or so, felt a little stuck on though. Felt kinda rushed.

Recommended, probably rate it at 85-90%

Welcome to the human race...
The X-Files: I Want to Believe -

I guess I can understand why they'd want to change things up from the last movie they did by making it a standalone venture rather than part of the show's on-going mythology, but that decision still doesn't result in an interesting story. It's technically decent and it's good to have Mulder and Scully (and also Skinner) back for one more adventure, but it still just kind of...exists. Now I guess it's time to start checking out the follow-up comics.

Divorzio all'italiana ( Divorce Italian Style 1961)

With: Marcello Mastroianni, Daniela Rocca, Stefania Sandrelli and Leopoldo Trieste

Ah that was good, I didn't enjoy a comedy in this way in such a long time. Definitely better than most of the latest comedy films. By far much much better.

Definitely did not expect the ending, and that made me happy because it feels like I can guess everything with nowday movies, and I just loved this little comedy.

Inception (2010)

With: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard and last but not least Ellen Page
I have mixed thoughts about this one.
WARNING: "Inception's Ending" spoilers below
Honestly I have mixed thoughts about this one. Especially the ending, I don't understand why his totem keeps rolling, I thought it should've stopped, otherwise it'd mean that he's still in the dream, or lost in his limbo.

It's the second time I watch this movie, maybe even the third and it keeps confusing me. Maybe it's just me, but I think they tried to do something too big, I mean the action, the general idea and the acting is great, but the script is a bit way too big. It goes way too fast and it goes to a point where it's confusing and contradictory.

On a side note, it kind of reminded me of Matrix at some point. What is real and what is not, the slow motion, action scenes.

I think I need to re-watch it again in sometime to give it another try. Pretty sure I'll think differently if I actually understand it.

Make a better place

The Pianist 2002

Good movie, good acting, but I don't think it's Adrien's best

Alien 1979

at first I thought I wouldn't like it, but it turned out to be good

I'm sure you guys have watched Aliens 1986 and Alien3 1992, are they any good?

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind 2004

Genius

Black Rain 1989

great cast, movie is okay

WARNING: "Inception's Ending" spoilers below
Honestly I have mixed thoughts about this one. Especially the ending, I don't understand why his totem keeps rolling, I thought it should've stopped, otherwise it'd mean that he's still in the dream, or lost in his limbo.

When an ending is purposely ambiguous, the director usually doesn't mean for us to "figure" it out, I certainly think that is the case with Inception. I think a lot of people think that Nolan is constantly trying to trick his audience. I don't get that in his movies at all. What I think he is interested in is presenting big themes in an interesting fashion. He wants the viewer to think, and ultimately not about the mechanations of the film but the ideas behind them.

A f*cking sadistic schizophrenic 25 years old women with the mind of a psychopath who killed with a circular saw. Brief, a definition of a perfect ending
She wasn't a schizophrenic, schizophrenia isn't the same as 'split' personality/Multiple Personality Disorder.

A great combination of drama, comedy and sci-fi action! 10/10

I don't give such a rating lightly, but this movie was perfect for me, it hit all of the right buttons and I have already watched it twice.

Interstellar is Christopher Nolan’s newest sprawling epic and if you’ve seen many of my posts here on movieforums then you probably know that I am not the biggest Christopher Nolan fan. That being said, I was extremely impressed with Interstellar and was completely blown away
by the end of the film.

First of all I can’t really give away anything about the story because I don’t want to spoil anything. But let me say that Interstellar is not a particularly fast paced movie. But once you get into the story you won’t be able to look away. There are some slight pacing issues at times, since it goes from long talking sequences to thrilling sequences at the blink of an eye at times and it can be a bit jarring. Also, there are some really confusing things about the film. For one, the constant technical science gibberish is confusing and at times I think it comes off as a bit pretentious, like Nolan is saying “ok, we know lots about science and we’ll just have a ton of lines full of science that the average moviegoer won’t understand and we’ll seem really smart!” Well, at least that’s kind of how I saw it. These lines ultimately ended up making the audience more confused and didn’t really take the story anywhere. Also, they needed more Casey Affleck and some of the character’s decisions were hard to make sense of. But other than those things, the story was great, especially in the last hour of the film. In my opinion, the last hour of the film was the best part, and was worth the entire 2 hour 49 minute running time alone. It really builds well to that spectacular ending, and an amazing twist.

Let’s move on to acting.

Of course the acting was really good in this film especially from McConaughey. Some of the other characters probably should have been a little more fleshed out but the acting was pretty much great all around. (Not to mention a surprise guest later on in the film). There’s not much else to say. McConaughey is as good as you would expect him to be and you really feel the emotion in the emotional scenes thanks to his performance. Let’s move on to camerawork.

The camerawork and imagery was really spectacular in Interstellar. This is one of the strongest things about the film. I can’t give away too much, but there are some truly beautiful scenes and some mind boggling visuals throughout the film. Definitely see this on the big screen while you have the chance because it was quite the experience, especially for the visuals.

Music was another huge plus for this film. The music certainly pays homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey and the music really helps to keep the mood and fits very well with the film.

Overall Interstellar is a powerful piece of cinema with amazing visuals and music and the last hour or so of the film is really spectacular. When I began walking out of the theater I was shaking just a little bit because I was so blown away. This really was a great experience, and I highly suggest that everyone go see this while it’s still in the theaters. It was great to see on the big screen and if you just watch this when it comes out on dvd/bluray then you’ll be hitting yourself saying “why didn’t I see this on the big screen??” Interstellar did have a few issues, but as a whole I really enjoyed it and found it to be one of the best films of the year by far. Please go see Interstellar in the theater. Please.

4.3 out of 5
Fire walk with me.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Apocalypse Now (1979)

This was on my watchlist for far too long!

One could say this is the perfect portrait about the madness and chaos of war, and that would be perfectly correct! But it's more than that: it's a movie about human condition and about obsession!
Every single shot, every second of this was thought exhaustively: the soundtrack, the editing, the characters... It's a hell of a masterpiece!

9/10

Hope and Glory (1987) nominated for best picture. An incredibly heartwarming story of a family during the London blitz of WW2. Not overly sentimental and charming. A feel good movie for adults. 9/10

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

B

Even knowing the ending it was enjoyable. Morgan Freeman is great, Pitt is over-the-top but due to direction, and the movie really seems to be just a set-up for the ending, but it's still a fun watch.

8 1/2 (1963)

My rating is a little high for my personal enjoyment, although I did enjoy it, but it's low for the overall quality of the movie. I have heard that this was a very complex movie, and it could be, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. I think you can find deep meaning in just about anything if you look hard enough, and it's here to be found if that's what you want. This movie is pretty easy to just sit back and enjoy though. I do favor movies with a more defined plot, so I didn't totally love it, but I did at least get something out of it. This is easily a movie that I could have an awfully lot to say about, but I honestly don't know where to begin. I didn't realize until afterwards that this was the 4th movie I've seen from this director, and I have enjoyed all of them to some extent. I would like to revisit La Dolce Vita at some point. I feel good about this viewing, at least to the point that I feel I gained some film knowledge while enjoying myself. It's way outside my taste, but if someone wants to call it a masterpiece, I can understand why.

Magnolia 1999

Damn. I heard a lot about this movie, always good, but I thought it was just overrated. I always think so before giving a try to something and most of the cases I'm mistaken. But it's better going with low expectations and getting a warm surprise like I just did.

This film has it all, at some point I got so angry with the characters I wanted to punch them, and in the next scene I'd relate to all of them somehow, even tho I've not had their experiences. I'd want to hug with the characters and cry with them, in resumen, it's a film that made me go through all the states, I cried, I laughed out loud, I got angry, and I loved all of them.

I don't know, many of you might not agree, but for me it was a film about love.

What a great experience this movie is. Hands down.

Edit: I also had to add this quote.

I loved her so. And she knew what I did. She knew all the ****ing stupid things I'd done. But the love... was stronger than anything you can think of. The ******* regret. The ******* regret! Oh, and I'll die. Now I'll die, and I'll tell you what... the biggest regret of my life... I let my love go. What did I do? I'm sixty-five years old. And I'm ashamed. A million years ago... the ****ing regret and guilt, these things, don't ever let anyone ever say to you you shouldn't regret anything. Don't do that. Don't! You regret what you ****ing want! Use that. Use that. Use that regret for anything, any way you want. You can use it, OK? Oh, God. This is a long way to go with no punch. A little moral story, I say... Love. Love. Love. This ****ing life... oh, it's so ****ing hard. So long. Life ain't short, it's long. It's long, ******* it. *******. What did I do? What did I do? What did I do? What did I do? Phil. Phil, help me. What did I do?
~ Earl Partridge

Glad you loved it Tenshi. Certainly a movie about relationships, loneliness, and yup love. I don't think anyone would disagree. One of my top five. Absolutely love it.