Neiba's Personal Top 50

→ in
Tools    

I hope Luc Besson one day rediscovers the part of him that made La Femme Nikita and Léon: The Professional.

Rosemary's Baby is excellent; one of my favorite horrors. Her is one of the best movies of last year. I hated Dracula. And I've never seen The Guilded Cage. I doubt I would be able to relate to it, but I enjoyed hearing how personal it is to you.

I hope Luc Besson one day rediscovers the part of him that made La Femme Nikita and Léon: The Professional.
So does he.

I hated Dracula.
Of course you did. I really liked it. Ah, I can feel all is right with the universe again.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Persepolis

(2007)

Quote: "You say that our scarfs and trousers are indecent and that we put on make up, etc. As an art student, I'm often in the studio. I need to move freely in order to draw. A longer scarf will hinder me. As for our trousers, you say they're too wide even though they hide our shape. Since these trousers are in fashion right now, I ask, is religion defending our physical integrity or is it simply opposed to fashion? You criticise us, yet our brothers all have different hair and clothes. Sometimes they wear clothing so tight, we can see their underwear. Why is it that me, as a woman, should their tight clothes have no effect on me, while they should be aroused by a shorter scarf?"

This is an animated movie that centers in the childhood and teen years of a girl during the Islamic Revolution on Iran during the 70s!

I love movies about politics! Not in a pretentious and uninformed way like Argo, but in a honest and straight forward vision, and this is a very good example!
The animation has some amazing details, the story is touching (specially if you consider that it's really close to the reality) and the dialogues are incredibly smart!
The balance of social and historic happenings and the personal issues is achieved in a perfect way creating a very close relationship between the characters and the viewer!
This is not a beautiful story nor does not intend to be, it portraits reality in the most honest way possible, so it gets brutal sometimes, like every historical movie should!

Related Movies: Grave of The Fireflies

Natural Born Killers

(1994)

Quote: "Baby... by the power invested in me, as God of my world... I pronounce us husband and wife."

A couple of lovers, both with traumatic childhood, become twisted serial killers who just kill for fun! They leave one person alive in each crime scene so she can tell the story, so they become folk heroes, glorified by the mass media.

One of the first scripts Tarantino wrote, and in my opinion, one of the best! Oliver Stone transformed it (too much in Tarantino's opinion) but you still can see some of the genious behind it! If Tarantino had directed this movie himself maybe it could have become even better (or not, who knows?) but the camera angles, blood shed, lightning and editing are amazing from my point of view!
It's pure violence, brutality and chaos, we need some movies like this nowadays!

Related Movies: From Dusk Till Dawn; True Romance

Natural Born Killers gets a lot of unwarranted flak. Fair enough, Oliver Stone didn't do with the script what Tarantino wanted, but I still think he made a pretty good film.

The Godfather: Pt. 2

(1974)

Quote: "There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

The continuing saga of the Corleone crime family tells the story of a young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily and in 1910s New York; and follows Michael Corleone in the 1950s as he attempts to expand the family business into Las Vegas, Hollywood and Cuba.

The second best of the trilogy in my opinion, and one of the best sequels in the history of cinema, if not the best! Keeps the same powerful style of the first one, which was very hard to do, and the focus on Vito's young life was a very nice touch and it helps a lot in understanding the true depth of Michael's characters!
The acting of every single actor involved is near perfection but Al Pacino goes off the scale! His change in behavior and in his eyes is terrifying! To witness such a powerful performance is a privilege!
As always, Copolla's directing is fantastic and the plot evolves in a very clever way!

Related Movies: Goodfellas