Scarlett Johansson and her withdrawl of Trans role

Tools    

Who mocked the shoes? Did Scarlett? I am not following here...
Yeah, this is where I think things break down a little. It seems like the mocking in this point comes from the non-specific "Hollywood." Which seems like an obvious disconnect if none of the specific people involved (and adversely affected) by all this were actually part of that.

What is this "our stories" business? Wasn't Rub and Tug going to be about Dante "Tex" Gill? Sounds like it was his story to me. Shouldn't Tex Gill play the part? Otherwise, someone else is just benefiting from "his story", right? Sound dumb? That's because it is. Actors play these little things called roles, in which they *gasp* pretend to be someone else. Weird! Requiring actors to share the exact qualities of the roles they play borders on the absurd.

You ever hear the old saying: "You can't understand someone until you walk a mile in their shoes?"

It's kind of hard to walk any distance in someone's shoes if they gun you down as soon as you try them on. Then again, if I walk a mile in someone shoes, I don't care what they think about me - they are a mile away and I have their shoes.

YES!

Dig up the body and shoot the film Weekend at Bernie's style

If it brings about change then i'm in the camp that thinks that is a positive, obviously the majority of the people in this thread aren't.
I think that's a bit unfair.

The issues are different. There is one of artistic integrity and one of gender progression. Some, like me, want both.

Pointing out something that I see as inconsistent or puzzling doesn't automatically make me a critic of one of these.

You initially framed it as "if he couldn't find a young bisexual actor", that's what i was answering. He can do what he wants and people can object to it.

Although personally i find it odd that someone wouldn't even consider a trans person for a trans role. There's no requirement before people jump on this, it's just not what my thought process would be.
Sorry, I was talking about the Rub and Tug film. Why would he want a trans person playing the role, like you said, if he thought he had a perfect actor in Johansson?

I pointed out in that post there's people (like Yoda i said, you'd fit into that if what you're saying is true) that object to some and are fine with other issues. That's saying you'd be fine with this going on with ScarJo, not that you also want trans people to suffer.
What other "issues" am I fine with ? There seems to be alot of assumption in this discussion.

I'm not fine with any group / community / ethnicity / minority being underprivelaged or oppressed.

Nor am I fine with any art form being muted.

He obviously didn't and he didn't have to, certain trans people took issue with it due to their prior mistreatment by Hollywood and them being stepped over as i've detailed and they pulled ScarJo or she stepped down whatever.
Hmmm. Ok. Well, what it's also done is pull Johansson's production company from the film, as they were financing it. I hope the story gets told and is a good one. I just think this was an over reaction.

Not sure I can say anymore without repeating myself.

You are fine with trans people being continually stepped over for roles if the director wants.
It's a real shame, that that is the conclusion you have come to.

That's the last post in this thread from me, and possibly for a while.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hollywood. What were trans people in films prior to them becoming a hot button issue in the past five years or so?
Camo, I agree with a lot of what you have said but not this 'past five years' bit. What about films like Boys Don't Cry,Transamerica, Breakfast on Pluto, All About My Mother, Hedwig...? (Despite not having trans actors in the roles). I don't think there's been this sudden flip from trans characters being the butt of a joke to being a hot topic in the past five years. I think there's been a more gradual shift in portrayal. Whether the shift in portrayal comes from general social attitudes or whether movies have actually helped in changing these attitudes is a bit of a chicken and egg question.

The other issue (and I remember this argument from when people complained about Eddie Redmayne being cast in The Danish Girl) is that movies about trans people sometimes focus on the transition which might not be something a trans person wants to relive for the purposes of a movie; it may be that there aren't trans actors queuing up to play parts which require them playing the gender they don't identify with for a lot of the movie.

Every one of those roles are regularly criticized in the trans community. They are seen as better than the cruel jokes obviously but still offensive. Here's a review of Transamerica from a Trans Woman for example:

Plus i'd say all of Almodovar's portrayals of trans people teeter on the cruel joke ledge.
It doesn't surprise me that they are criticised. Nobody claimed that any of them showed some kind of perfect representation, I don't doubt there is plenty in all of them that is problematic. But even that review you quoted says "evolving slowly as trends shift", which is the point I was trying to make. There's a difference between something that is trying to get it right (even if it doesn't quite succeed) and something like Ace Ventura. And it's something that has evolved over twenty years or more, not the last five.

And I'd say all of Almodovar's portrayals of all people teeter on the cruel joke ledge.

Didn't pretend the first trans portrayal that wasn't a cruel joke was in 2013 just that they are now heavily trending that way. I'd also call them still few and far between and am skeptical of calling it a trend more like a brief detour. You mentioned five films there over a seven year period, one is Spanish so doesn't fit, one is British/Irish so doesn't fit, since we're talking about Hollywood and one was an independent film so it doesn't fit. So that's two trans films in Hollywood over a seven year period and both are at the extremes with Boy's Don't Cry in 99 and Transamerica in 05, and aren't seen as positive trans portrayals in large parts of the trans community. So i think my point still stands.

Homicidal (1961)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Kiss of a Spiderwoman (1985)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)
Boys Don't Cry (1999)
Flawless (1999)
Normal (2003)
Transamerica (2005)
Peacock (2010)
Pariah (2011)

Quite frankly I feel like they make way too many LGBTQ films. The subject matter has been done to death.

You mentioned five films there over a seven year period, one is Spanish so doesn't fit, one is British/Irish so doesn't fit, since we're talking about Hollywood and one was an independent film so it doesn't fit.
Here's a (possibly tangential but serious) question... why does only Hollywood 'count'? I don't just mean for the purposes of this thread, but in general. Why are people (any people, not just transgender people) so desperate for Hollywood's approval? If people don't feel like Hollywood represents them, why is the answer always to complain about and lobby Hollywood rather than look for or even make independent films? If people put more of the energy they put into complaining about Hollywood into supporting independent or 'foreign' films, if they voted with their wallets and watched those instead of paying to see Hollywood blockbusters just to complain about them, perhaps Hollywood wouldn't have all the power anymore. I'm slightly surprised that social media etc. hasn't done more to further the interests of non-Hollywood films. Especially in light of all the recent scandals of women being treated horribly by Hollywood moguls, the narrative still seems to be Hollywood must be sorry and we can still love it rather than Hollywood can sod off and we'll all go and watch a Claire Denis film.

I mean, I know the answer to this really. It comes down to money = power (and distribution). And mainstream appeal. But I do sometimes wonder why when I see people saying there have been hardly any XYZ films and then go 'oh I only meant Hollywood' (this is not aimed at you Camo, I understand the context in what you are saying). Just go and watch films that aren't Hollywood then! It's almost like people are limiting themselves on purpose. Even if Hollywood did have more films about [insert marginalised group here] they'd still be pretty 'Hollywood'. And maybe a film not made within the sort of system which propped up Weinstein for so many years might just be better at representing anyway.

And as regards Scarlett and this particular film... well they can go ahead and cast an unknown transman in the role now. They've successfully stirred up enough clickbait headlines and twitter outrage. Their marketing job is done. I wonder if 'uncasting' is going to become a trend.

The reason why the "straight white male" is the constantly-opposed type is because he is the most privileged in society and generally has the most to benefit from (and least to suffer) in comparison to people who belong to different sub-groups. The power dynamics are such that you can't simply swap them around and cry double-standard - of course it would be different if you did an all-black play with white people because that is marginalising an already-marginalised sub-group, whereas the inverse is not liable to adversely impact white people's societal standing. The question is whether or not you'd be similar disdainful of the double-standards that do benefit straight white men.

You are perpetuating a double-standard and racism. Either accept that everyone is equal and that all roles are interchangeable or that none are. However, "the you can go one way but not the other in terms of replacement bit" is racist and it only perpetuates the very focus on a non-factor, the color of one's skin, that most liberals claim they want to end.

I did not vote for Trump in 2016, but I am damn well voting for him in 2020. The insanity of today's left is toxic, racist, sexist and any other identity politic-ist of which you can think. It is also fascist and divisive.

We are all human beings and our color, gender, sexual orientation, etc. don't matter one whit. Stop trying to play the collective guilt, collective blame and collective shame game. I refuse it all because it is merely a construct of people who are equal (and who have been for decades and decades), but who are trying to still be victims.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I refuse it all because it is merely a construct of people who are equal (and who have been for decades and decades), but who are trying to still be victims.
This basically sums up the entire left vs common sense debate.

Looked a few of them up:

Homicidal: This doesn't sound like a trans role, it sounds like a twist and someone biologically born female being forced to pretend they were male.

Kiss of the Spiderwoman: Would hardly call a trans pedo a positive portrayal.

Normal: This film is often called one of the worst, most offensive trans portrayal there is.

Pariah: Like i said this has nothing to do with trans people, it's a lesbian film. It's based on Dee Rees who is a Lesbian not Trans. I can't remember any trans people in it, if i'm forgetting something please correct me.

You didn't ask for "positive" portrayal's a highly arguable point but rather that they were treated like jokes. So I went with the assumption that you didn't want a film with drag queens.

moving on

Pariah is about a transgendered person, she's a female who dresses like a male to get with women. The film is about her coming to terms with her sexual identity...now you might not consider aggressives transgendered but it's really splitting hairs.

But really what you are arguing for is not good film but propaganda. Putting checks into who can play the characters, forcing the stories to go in certain directions...all that stuff is beside the point.

A system of cells interlinked
Ok, this thread is basically in the toilet at this point, as one of the main contributors to the conversation has run through the thread deleting all their posts. I will leave it open for now, as there are still some ancillary conversations that are intact, with the caveat that after some mod discussion, this might get locked.

Welcome to the human race...
I disagree that it would erase the transgender element even if that is the case and that experiences can be similar for a cross dresser or transgender.. this character most likely was a cross dresser before they was trans, maybe film makers choose to keep in this time frame for artistic license to get across a specific view point personal to them.. in any case I'll wait until the finished project before I say it comes from a place of "fundamental ignorance"
Perhaps, but I don't like the odds of that. Ghost in the Shell had to cook up a whole story to justify why Scarlett was playing a character who was originally Japanese and even then it still came across as a flimsy excuse for casting her more than anything else.

You are perpetuating a double-standard and racism. Either accept that everyone is equal and that all roles are interchangeable or that none are. However, "the you can go one way but not the other in terms of replacement bit" is racist and it only perpetuates the very focus on a non-factor, the color of one's skin, that most liberals claim they want to end.
This just reminds me of Malcolm X's quote comparing systemic racism to being stabbed in the back:
If you stick a knife in my back nine inches and pull it out six inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out that's not progress. Progress is healing the wound that the blow made. And they haven't even pulled the knife out much less heal the wound. They won't even admit the knife is there.
In other words, no, it is not good enough to act like everything's okay now and anyone who still cares about race at all is being just as racist as the original racists (if not more so). I already outlined why established systems of power complicate the notion that everyone is equal by not letting them be equal, but your response is to go "actually you are the racist" simply for pointing out that one race has historically benefited more than any other. The key to equality isn't simply a matter of ignoring race so much as it is about accepting it - they may seem the same, but they are not.

I did not vote for Trump in 2016, but I am damn well voting for him in 2020. The insanity of today's left is toxic, racist, sexist and any other identity politic-ist of which you can think. It is also fascist and divisive.
"Straight white male" is itself a set of identity politics and, historically speaking, championing it above all others is literally the worst kind of identity politics - the left (and maybe even part of the right) is not insane for daring to oppose that out of a sense of the greater good. If you do decide to support Trump, a man who built his presidency on said identity politics, then you effectively forfeit the right to complain when people associate you with his own considerable toxicity.

We are all human beings and our color, gender, sexual orientation, etc. don't matter one whit. Stop trying to play the collective guilt, collective blame and collective shame game. I refuse it all because it is merely a construct of people who are equal (and who have been for decades and decades), but who are trying to still be victims.
Unfortunately, "I don't see colour" and sentiments like that just come across as naive and condescending nowadays since it means actively ignoring major parts of a person's identity (which is a big part of what it even means to be human). Your refusal is itself a reflection of the privilege you gain by being the societal "default" that is a straight white man - not everyone is lucky enough to be able to consciously opt out of dealing with constructs that make them personally uncomfortable.

This basically sums up the entire left vs common sense debate.
Because nothing says common sense like complaining about other people making themselves into victims while also complaining that straight white men get treated so unfairly.

but your response is to go "actually you are the racist" simply for pointing out that one race has historically benefited more than any other.
This is clearly a motte-and-bailey. The objection is not to someone simply noting that "one race has historically benefited more," and I think you must know that. The objection is to:
a) noting this in the service of advocating some kind of specific change in policy, either through law or with cultural pressure.

b) assuming this is the primary (or even only) consideration in any given situation.

... when I first seen this controversy. I though to myself, and that's why Trump became president. I'm not a fan of Trump myself, but I really see a huge backlash happening, against these out of control, special interest opportunist...
...I did not vote for Trump in 2016, but I am damn well voting for him in 2020. The insanity of today's left is toxic, racist, sexist and any other identity politic-ist of which you can think. It is also fascist and divisive...
I see my post was prophetic

Yes I blame extremist like this movie issue for partially giving rise to Trump...BUT in the same vein the extreme actions of Trump and his more fervent followers causes a backlash in the left. Which gives us the old chicken and egg, who causes these backlashes first? lefties? righties? No to both...

I suspect the vast majority of outrage didn't come from the transgender community, it came from bored kids in their mom's basement typing out social justice messages on Twitter & Facebook, stirring up the pot and trying to feel important.

I'm not a fan of social media, it's like a world wide extension of the old high school BS conformity. Back in the day when kids grew up and left school, they left the idea of conforming to peer pressure behind them. But thanks to Twitter and Facebook, this peer pressure (aka PC think) goes way beyond high school and has more effect than it should.

All I know is that you don't combat this stuff by becoming more like it. So if your problem is that Trump overstates things and thinks you can justify any kind of rhetoric so long as it leads to you winning, because winning is all there is and how you win doesn't matter, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to beat it back with that same posture. Becoming like something to stop it is a Pyrrhic victory.