The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oooh, exciting! I've only seen 27 films from the 30's, most of them Laurel and Hardy stuff. I won't burn out myself with 30's films in preparation for this, I'll probably just see ones that look cool at my own casual pace.

I just added to the rules for voting list on the 1st post. I added this to further clarify:

• Type out the full movie title as shown on IMDB. Don't abbreviate the title or leave words out. If you do it can cause problems when I add up the list.
  • Partial lists with no less than 10 movies on it, will be accepted after: August 30, 2018
So basically if the movie title is shortened or has words left out, it can potentially screw up the point tabulations causing the movie to lose points. An example: this is a correct title The Adventures of Robin Hood... But 'Adventures of Robin Hood' is wrong and could cause problems as would 'Robin Hood'. Even dropping 'The' from a movie title could potential cause problems.

I will look for mistakes and fix them, but if it's a movie I've never heard of I might not realize the title is incorrect. So look at IMDB for the correct title if in doubt.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
SWEET!!

I'm sure I could do a solid partial, but, like others will try to knock out a lot of those I haven't and need to see to make a full list.

Thanks for doing this, CR!!!!

SWEET!!

I'm sure I could do a solid partial, but, like others will try to knock out a lot of those I haven't and need to see to make a full list.

Thanks for doing this, CR!!!!
A full list from you Ed or else just joking But I'm sure if you join some 30s Hofs by 5 months time you have a solid list.

A full list from you Ed or else just joking But I'm sure if you join some 30s Hofs by 5 months time you have a solid list.

Full Lists or Death, my friend! Full Lists or Death!!!

Just did a preliminary list. Only came up with fourteen films from the 1930s that I've even seen. Of those fourteen films, I absolutely despise two and like only three well enough to give them a vote.

We'll see if I even come close to the requisite ten minimum.

Just did a preliminary list. Only came up with fourteen films from the 1930s that I've even seen. Of those fourteen films, I absolutely despise two and like only three well enough to give them a vote.

I think I know of 1 of the 2, 1930s films that you despise. Not sure about the other, hopefully it's not the one I'm thinking about

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Solid 21 right now. I try to avoid putting short films on my list, but it couldn't be helped, lots of fluff during The Great Depression.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll have a 25, just don't know how much I'll love everything vs. appreciating it. Time will tell but I have a lot to still see.

Hey CR, when we get the final list this Fall, we ought to send it to Ben Mankiewicz at TCM. Maybe he'll give the site a mention...

I've seen lots of '30s films, so I'll send in my fav 25 in a couple of weeks.

~Doc

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've seen more 30s films though but most of them from TV when I was a kid and I'm not voting based on those experiences. I only have one movie I'd surely vote for and a couple of maybies. Very likely I won't be able to send a list to this.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've seen more 30s films though but most of them from TV when I was a kid and I'm not voting based on those experiences. I only have one movie I'd surely vote for and a couple of maybies. Very likely I won't be able to send a list to this.
Watch some 30s films you have like 5 months before the deadline. What type/genres of films do you watch now? Horror? There's tons of great 30s horror.

And if you don't like black and white films there's plenty of color films made in the 30s. Animation? the 30s have it. Action hero films? yup they made them back then too.

You probably don't like musicals but they made a lot of great ones back in the 30s. Action, drama, western, comedy, any type of film that you watch now they made back then.

Did I mention foreign films, yup lots of good non English language films from the 30s. Give it a try, ya just might like old movies!

A good way to find 1930s films is IMDB.

IMDB Top 1930 films sorted by popularity

17,408 titles! Anyone should be able to find some good ones there to watch! Or just jog your memory for 30s films you've already seen, but might have forgotten about. Oh and that search can be sorted by different parameters.

A good way to find 1930s films is IMDB.

IMDB Top 1930 films sorted by popularity

17,408 titles! Anyone should be able to find some good ones there to watch! Or just jog your memory for 30s films you've already seen, but might have forgotten about. Oh and that search can be sorted by different parameters.
That is an EXCELLENT list to go by. Could easily do a Top 25 just wandering through the first two pages but there is also a few in those I NEED to see as well and I'm sure others as well.
Off to watch Hedy Lamar in Ecstasy!

That is an EXCELLENT list to go by. Could easily do a Top 25 just wandering through the first two pages but there is also a few in those I NEED to see as well and I'm sure others as well.
Off to watch Hedy Lamar in Ecstasy!
My memory is so bad that I have to look at that IMDB 1930s search, just to remember what I've forgotten, ha

Oh! Hedy Lamar, have not seen enough of her films. I'll be looking forward to hear what you thought of Ecstasy. I've not seen it myself.