Luis' Movie Log for 2018 (excluding new releases)

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
18. Frozen (2013)

Directors: Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck

(RE-WATCH)
I always thought this was a pretty good film. Let me just get the negatives out of the way. First off, there are many plot holes, especially to do with characters and their irrational actions, second, the first 25 minutes could've done a better job at establishing this sister relationship that is supposed to fuel the entire film, and I thought the resolution was pre-mature. This film excels the most as a musical, I'm not going to sit here and deny that the music is amazing, because it is, I would say it's one of Disney's best in general. Apart from the beginning, the relationship between Ana and Elsa was effective and I got invested in both characters. Everything else, was generally pretty good, I wouldn't put this near my top 10 Disney films, but it's a worthy addition to their filmography.

SCORE - 70/100

19. Back to the Future (1985)

Director: Robert Zemeckis

Yet, this is another film that could easily become one of my favorites upon re-watch. Sometimes I wish I was born in the 80s, every time I see a film with this kind of atmosphere I feel right at home. (sighs) Anyway, I'm mad at myself for taking this long to experience such a pleasant film, every minute is engaging, exciting, fun, and charming. I really love films from the 80s.

The whole Time-Travel fiasco was built very well, it was complex, but never too far-fetched; which kept the experience fun, and not overwhelming. And that is the perfect word to describe the film: just so fun, I can see myself re-watching this every week without getting bored of it. Even though the film had resources to go bananas with its concept, I love how it kept the story personal, and more about the characters. It was so fascinating seeing Michael J Fox's character making connections from his parents' pasts to his current present. His arc was established so well in the first act that I was so invested in his character throughout the entirety of the film, and it felt like I was making these discoveries along with him. Overall, this film just made me feel so happy, there is this vivaciousness to it that just exudes warmth and happiness. If anyone reads this, are the sequels worth watching?

SCORE - 96/100

Oh crap, I fell behind on Schindler's List, I had a ton of homework and I got so caught up with the Oscars. Watching half today and the second half tomorrow.

20. Schindler's List (1993)

Director: Steven Spielberg

This was Incredibly well directed by the most respected filmmaker of all time. I know many people hold this as Spielberg's crown jewel, and it's not hard to see why. This movie is devastating to watch, deeply affecting, and highly artistic. Every single gunshot, every single frame, and every single character moment added layers to this film, and justified its 3 hours+ runtime. Spielberg shows us every brimming detail, not only in its physical embodiment but also its psychological. He also did a fantastic job at telling a story that is both personal, and universal. The editing was fantastic, and there are many technical stretches that elevate the film's thematic resonance (the picture being black and white being the most obvious one) This film definitely deserves a perfect score, however, I just didn't develop a personal connection on my first watch, and I'm not sure if I would watch this again any time in the next few years. That being said, this is a film that has my entire appreciation, and it will for sure be one in my mind for prime examples of visual storytelling.

SCORE - 93/100

19. Back to the Future (1985)

Yet, this is another film that could easily become one of my favorites upon re-watch. Sometimes I wish I was born in the 80s, every time I see a film with this kind of atmosphere I feel right at home. (sighs) Anyway, I'm mad at myself for taking this long to experience such a pleasant film, every minute is engaging, exciting, fun, and charming. I really love films from the 80s.

The whole Time-Travel fiasco was built very well, it was complex, but never too far-fetched; which kept the experience fun, and not overwhelming. And that is the perfect word to describe the film: just so fun, I can see myself re-watching this every week without getting bored of it. Even though the film had resources to go bananas with its concept, I love how it kept the story personal, and more about the characters. It was so fascinating seeing Michael J Fox's character making connections from his parents' pasts to his current present. His arc was established so well in the first act that I was so invested in his character throughout the entirety of the film, and it felt like I was making these discoveries along with him. Overall, this film just made me feel so happy, there is this vivaciousness to it that just exudes warmth and happiness. If anyone reads this, are the sequels worth watching?

SCORE - 96/100
Absolutely. BTTF2 is my favourite actually and 3, while probably the weakest, is still great fun.

21. Back to the Future Part II (1989)

I also thought this one was great. I'll keep this one short, as you can apply most of what I said for the first film to the sequel as well. The film never lost it's vivaciousness, it was very fun to watch, and I had a smile on my face throughout. They really expanded the timeline with this one, but it was well done, I was never confused. The character work was pretty good, definitely not as great as it was in the original film, but still good nonetheless. If anything, it felt a little repetitive in comparison to the first, it made for a couple of nice inside jokes, but the writing could've been stronger. I also thought that the film's idea of 2015 was very fascinating, I got a kick out of it.

SCORE - 84/100 ,

22. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Director: Michel Gondry

This was great. I love how the film is built purely around the leads´ romantic life. I also really liked how the storytelling is structured in an uncoventional way, it was effective, and the editing in the film was incredible. The characters are both great as well, I had no problem getting attached to Jim Carrey´s character, and Kate Winslet charmed my socks off practically from the very first line she spoke. I also really appreciate the original approach, and the memory erasing aspect never felt too far-fetched. By the middle of the film, I felt myself really wanting for these characters to end up together. All around great.

SCORE - 85/100

Knocking them out man! You remind me of when I joined this site and was watching all the classics for the first time!
Woah! Thank you so much! I[m definitely enjoying myself a lot this year!

Well I m still here reading your reviews. Found them all interesting even if we didn't always reach the same conclusions about movies.

I was interested in your response to Schindler's List. Although you gave it a high rating, you did not feel all that much connected to the film. I don't know if that is partly your age and personal preferences- but I can understand it. I find that - for me- in films of these epic stories, I need a personal connection on a 'smaller scale' - to see -and feel- the story through the smaller narrative of an individual. I saw Schindler s list years ago, but I remember having that same vaguely defined feeling that, masterpiece tho it may be, it wasn't one I'd likely seek out to see again. So.....as if you don't already have enough homework- I am going to recommend a film in the same WorkdWar2 theme, that is, the obscene cruelty of pure evil, and the human decency and unsung bravery of people in the throes of the worst conditions For me, this is a better picture with characters you can really relate to, and a 'smaller story within a larger story' that wraps you in and never leaves you. And that is Life Is Beautiful.

I don't remember if you mentioned seeing it, but would like very much to see a full review of it from you.

Of course this can be after you travel thru those 100 or 1000 or so movies on your list as of nowlol. Btw, I am curious about one thing- how did you make your list?

Meanwhile I m looking forward to reviews of many familiar cherished films of mine- and I see Fantasia is coming up soon. Enjoy.

I was interested in your response to Schindler's List. Although you gave it a high rating, you did not feel all that much connected to the film. I don't know if that is partly your age and personal preferences- but I can understand it. I find that - for me- in films of these epic stories, I need a personal connection on a 'smaller scale' - to see -and feel- the story through the smaller narrative of an individual. I saw Schindler s list years ago, but I remember having that same vaguely defined feeling that, masterpiece tho it may be, it wasn't one I'd likely seek out to see again.
Thank you so much for reaching time and time again, I enjoy conversing with you! As far as Schindler's List goes, It is definitely a very unique case in the sense that it has a very high score, yet I wouldn't seek out the same experience over and over again. For me, the craftsmanship of the film flabbergasted me so much, I thought giving it anything lower than a 90 was a disservice. It's a film, that even though didn't emotionally resonate with me, reminded me how much I love movies, and why cinema was invented.

So.....as if you don't already have enough homework- I am going to recommend a film in the same WorkdWar2 theme, that is, the obscene cruelty of pure evil, and the human decency and unsung bravery of people in the throes of the worst conditions For me, this is a better picture with characters you can really relate to, and a 'smaller story within a larger story' that wraps you in and never leaves you. And that is Life Is Beautiful.
Oh I have heard great things about it, and you know what? I'll watch it this week, it's Spring Break and I have more free time, and it's a movie that I heard makes people emotional, and that excites me for some reason. I tend to love movies that can make me cry (hence Coco being my favorite movie of last year lol)

As far as how I built my list.. I pretty much just looked at lists of the most popular films of each decade and just picked the ones that I've heard the most about. I wanted to get the big "must watch" ones out of the way first before I pick the smaller films that peak my interest. I've enjoyed myself so much these first three months.

Well , you just made my day, Luis, when you told me you will watch the movie this very week. How very nice of you! I have lots of things I could tell you about my reactions the film , but don't want to 'spoil' the movie - so I will wait for your thoughtful and insightful review. ( and you have already discovered it is likely to be an emotional experience)

I too enjoy 'talking ' with you here on mofo, and as others have mentioned, applaud your enthusiasm for seeing all these classics through fresh eyes -have a great spring break and I look forward to your comments on Life is Beautiful, amongst many others.

23. Black Swan

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Yet another great movie, this list was the best idea ever; I can't remember liking this many new watches in a row. Aronofsky carefully crafted a very effective character study film, used mostly to highlight a person's obsession with achieving perfection, and the whole parallel with the white and black swan was super well realized. The film is also clustered with visual metaphors towards the latter point, and upon further dissection of the film, I learnt to appreciate the craftsmanship more.

Natalie Portman delivered a fantastic, highly calculated and particular performance; she embodied the innocence, persistence, and fragility of her character flawlessly, while also delivering an explosive number at the end. I also loved the cinematography, particularly in the opening two minutes and the final ten. Oftentimes, the narrative was built so that the audience was left in the dark a little bit, and while sometimes it was an effective way to propel the films' themes forward, other times they were a bit annoying. Aronofsky is a great director, and this film further solidifies him as someone who I need to keep a look out for. I can't wait to see what he does next. Overall, very tense, beautifully shot, skillfully acted and directed, and thematically rich.

SCORE - 80/100

24. Fantasia (1940)

Disney

It's nice to have finally seen this, I can see how innovative it was at the time. Visually, it was also very pleasing to see, and the variety of shorts was also nice. As far as the assemble itself goes, there's some stuff I liked, some stuff I didn't, and a select couple that I loved. I would be lying if I said I was invested the whole way through, there are chunks of the film that bored me. Overall, my reaction coming out was barely possitive. If I would rate the shorts individually, there would be two that would get 90+, but some parts of the film really bring it down.

SCORE - 64/100

25. Life is Beautiful (La Vita è bella) (1997)

Director: Roberto Benigni

This film has been recommended to me a few times, but @lenslady finally gave me the final push to see it. This was a wonderful film. It is one of the most personal war stories I've ever seen put on screen, and it's a film that had a good deal of emotional impact on me. The characterization is phenomenal, the first half of the film guides us through our leads' relationship escalation, and it is done with so much heart and warmth.

The fact that our lead was a Jew was never a defining attribute to his character, and was more like a side-note, the latter juxtaposes the second half with a tragic realization, and it is a second half that brings everything that was set up in the first to emotional extremes. Speaking of juxtaposition, it was also incredibly heartbreaking seeing the dynamic between an experienced father facing his doom and an innocent and fragile child living in his own made-up world in the midst of so much brutality.The romantic relationship was heartwarming, the father-son relationship was heartbreaking, and everything in between was beautiful. The film's symbolic tragedy resounds more the longer I think about it, and once I further dissected the ending and contemplated on what it really meant, I ended up finding new layers, each as meaningful as the next. This is a film I will remember for a long time. Thank you, @lenslady.

SCORE - 94/100

25. Life is Beautiful (La Vita è bella) (1997)

Director: Roberto Benigni

This film has been recommended to me a few times, but @lenslady finally gave me the final push to see it. This was a wonderful film. It is one of the most personal war stories I've ever seen put on screen, and it's a film that had a good deal of emotional impact on me. The characterization is phenomenal, the first half of the film guides us through our leads' relationship escalation, and it is done with so much heart and warmth.

The fact that our lead was a Jew was never a defining attribute to his character, and was more like a side-note, the latter juxtaposes the second half with a tragic realization, and it is a second half that brings everything that was set up in the first to emotional extremes. Speaking of juxtaposition, it was also incredibly heartbreaking seeing the dynamic between an experienced father facing his doom and an innocent and fragile child living in his own made-up world in the midst of so much brutality.The romantic relationship was heartwarming, the father-son relationship was heartbreaking, and everything in between was beautiful. The film's symbolic tragedy resounds more the longer I think about it, and once I further dissected the ending and contemplated on what it really meant, I ended up finding new layers, each as meaningful as the next. This is a film I will remember for a long time. Thank you, @lenslady.

SCORE - 96/100

And thank you Luis! I am so gratified that you watched this film at my suggestion, and even more gratified that you were as moved by this story as much as I was. I don't really need to add any more comments of mine. Because you 'got it' - you felt and understood and gave an expert analysis of the movie.

As you noted, this is a 'personal story' and the depth and poignancy of a father's great love makes this war/holocaust story so touching and meaningful . I cried at the end, I always do - but it is a film I return to, even though I cry, because of all the things you said.

No need to add more than that I appreciate your appreciation. And( not to embarrass you but I can't help saying I think you show depth and heart and character, not to mention a responsive and nimble intellect, , at a quite early age , in the way you understand and feel the humanity of this story. Bravo, Luis!

P.S. I promise my next recommendation won't be a heartbreaker.