Luis' Movie Log for 2018 (excluding new releases)

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
94. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Director: Louis Leterrier

This was the only Marvel Cinematic Universe film that I hadn’t seen, and I know it’s considered by many as a forgettable entry. I quite liked it to be honest, Edward Norton plays a very good character, I really bought into him and his relationship with Liv Taylor's character. There are a few very great action sequences on here, specifically the third act, and a stunning helicopter sequence in the middle. The film was very entertaining, very tightly paced, and overall very good. If anything, it does feel a little underwhelming compared to the colossal production of most Marvel entries, but it’s a charming film.

SCORE - 73/100

95. The Terminator (1984)

Director: James Cameron

Out of all the films on my to-watch-list, there's not one that I'm more ashamed I haven't seen than this one, and I finally did. This is a great one, I don't think I would call it one of my favorite Sci-Fi or action films, but Cameron's direction truly shines on this one. The premise is solid here, I love how the future and the present are linked to this one event, and how they are co-dependent on each other, it was very easy to follow. The action scenes, even after 30 some years, are still pretty impressive. There is a good handful of chase sequences with unbroken shots and variety of editing choices, the continuity and pacing was top-notch, and I'm in love with the atmosphere of the film. I liked the characters, I didn't really think they were amazing, but they were serviceable. I could instantly tell how Arnold Schwarzenegger's character became iconic over the years, the way he carries himself, his tone of voice, and the lines he's given is all amazing. I really enjoyed the film, It probably won't become a favorite of mine, but it's very easy to appreciate.

SCORE - 80/100

For those of you who remember the list and are wondering if I'm still following it, I am! July was a little hard to follow as I got caught up in a bunch of stuff, but once I'm done with the HoF films, I'm planning on catching up all of the other ones I haven't seen, starting on The Terminator.

96. The Age of Shdows (2016)

Director: Kim Jee-woon

One of my favorites from the challenge, mostly everything about this is done magnificently, in my opinion. It won't be a film I re-watch, but definitely one that I'll remember and appreciate more than anything. The best thing about this was the technicality, the shots, the color correction, the scene construction, all dumbfounding, there were some shots in this that really made my jaw-drop, I thought it was a beautiful looking film. Reminded me of a Korean version of a Wes Anderson film, only much grittier as well. The tension-building in this is also exponential, there are many drawn-out scenes that are edited stupendously, It was hard to predict what would happen next, who would die, who would take the first shot, all of it took me by surprise, and in turn there was a truly great ending. The action was also very well filmed, exemplary even.

SCORE - 88/100

97. The Leopard (1963)

Directed By: Luchino Visconti

I thought this was mostly great, was thoroughly impressed with the design of it all; the scenery. the production, the costumes, the hair, the make-up, all top-notch for a film like this. Italy is something that interests me a lot and I really want to learn the language, so this was definitely very entertaining in a cultural sense, I think this HoF was essentially to open windows to other cultures, and none really interest me as much as this one, so that was neat. The story itself is quite simplistic, but the character interactions did keep this entertaining, I mostly found myself really charmed by the love story. The central character study revolving around the uncle was a bit hit and miss for me, I did feel like we got a nice progression towards different emotional extremes, while at the same time I found his long scenes of dialogue not very interesting and I felt myself dozing off a little bit. That being said, I've watched 3 hour films that have failed miserably to keep my attention, and this one managed to charm me. I will definitely remember the scenery and cinematography if the story doesn't have a lasting impact on me, great film yo!

SCORE - 80/100

98. Bruce Almighty (2003)

Director: Tom Shadyac

I thought this was a rather charming film. I'm not too familiar with Jim Carrey to be honest (I know, shocker) but I thought he was the best part about this, his comedic timing and charisma is truly great and very particular; he's definitely a comedian to go to for a unique sensation. Jennifer Aniston was fantastic as well but you can always expect her to charm your socks off in everything she's in; she just always elevates any material. I like the premise, it's definitely fun, although the whole "doing God's job" shenanigans was definitely not subtle with it's themes and absolutely on the nose, the film was just enough "tongue-in-cheek" about it that the cringe factor wasn't too overbearing. And if you're going to have any human inpersonating God, you bet Morgan Freeman is the best choice. Overall a charming film with a really good cast and some very funny moments.

SCORE - 77/100

99. Bridesmaids (2011)

Director: Paul Feig

What a great comedy, I know this was one of the more popular films of 2011 and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it. There were moments in this were I genuinely laughed out loud, normally with good comedies I tend to chuckle even if the joke is really humorous, I let out a handful of belly laughs watching this.

The comedy in here is just very effective, we are presented with a group of multiple ladies with very distinct personalities, and those funny moments basically just write themselves given how outlandish these characters are. Something that this film does so well is build up to a really funny joke through awkward tension building, these scenes are just extended to ridiculous lengths to the point were they become so awkward you just have to laugh. One sequence in particular that takes place in a fancy bathroom was the only rough spot as far as comedy goes, I really wanted to look away during that scene. Wiig and Rudolph are both exponentially likable in this, and you can never go wrong casting Rose Byrne, what a beautiful woman, talented as well. I still think Feig's 2015 flick Spy is the best he's done, but this is right up there. Very effective comedy, will definitely revisit in the future.

SCORE - 80/100

100. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Director: James Cameron

Yay, I'm at one hundred reviews! I know people do it here all the time but seeing the number is very pleasing to the eye lol. This is without a doubt, one of the greatest action films I've ever seen and probably one of the best as well. I liked the first Terminator well enough, however, given how so many people claim it's one of the best films ever made, I expected a bit more. This one however, just absolutely blew me away, definitely far superior to the first one in ever way imaginable. The characters were serviceable enough in the first one, although none of them other than Schwarzenegger really stood out to me, in the sequel however, the character arcs were handled beautifully.

Sarah Connor was a total badass I loved every second she was on. Her son, John, was also amazing as a character and his dependence on the Terminator was an amazing way to display both character's humanity. The action sequences, still to this day, are flabbergasting, if the original film impressed me, the sequel completely dumbfounded me. These sequences are perfectly directed, masterfully shot, and beautifully edited, it makes everything seem larger than life. I think the first film was very to-the-point, and very tight as a film: machine travels back in time to kill our protagonist, while another character tries to save her. The sequel turns the concept on it's head and does so many bigger and more surprising things with it, and also much more on the side, it's also about family, individuality, humanity, and dependence. I loved this one, it's a new favorite.

SCORE - 100/100

101. High School Musical (2006)

Director: Kenny Ortega

(RE-WATCH)
Everytime somebody asks me what my guilty pleasure is, I never know how to answer, I don't really give the question much taught. But after watching this beloved childhood classic, this film ranks up there with my other guilty pleasures. Cheese factor is through the roof on this one, the characters are all very blatant stereotypes, and the editing is clunky, but I live for it! Lol! Despite the lousy character writing, I would still argue that Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, and the cast are extremely likable, and play their characters so well, they really elevate the film with their enthusiasm. I would also argue that the "musical" aspect of this is great, I mean I dare anybody on here to listen to "Stick to the Status Quo" and tell me that's not an awesome song. Definitely a film with flaws but it brings back so many memories of some very happy parts of my childhood.

SCORE - 70/100

102. High School Musical 2 (2007)

(RE-WATCH)
Also a childhood classic, maybe even more so than the first one, and I can objectively say this is a much better film, even good. First, the music is fantastic, even still to this day I could listen to any of these songs and like them, especially "I Don't Dance". The characters become less dramatic versions of themselves they feel like actual people. There's an actual interesting character arc with our main character that actually creates new challenges to the characters. I love this one, obviously extra points for nostalgia.

SCORE - 80/100

103. High School Musical 3 (2008)

I like this one as well, it feels pretty mature for a Disney Channel film, it actually explores separation after High School and how you part away from friends you think you'll be with forever quite well, I've recently been through that, so it definitely hit close to home. Of course the ending didn't realize the bitter-sweetness to its full potential because it's still a Disney Channel flick and of course you've got to have a happy ending. The character work is more polished this time around but still a bit inconsistent, the music is not nearly as memorable as the first two flicks with only a couple of stand-outs, although I do have to say that there is some impressive choreography and camera work, I was shocked with the level of quality from a film like this.

SCORE - 70/100

This is the level of commitment I like to see.
Thanks for the encouragement my dude! Definitely helps considering I've never been a good binge watcher, done with the first one though! Is it a franchise you're fond of?

"Luck don't live out here."
Thanks for the encouragement my dude! Definitely helps considering I've never been a good binge watcher, done with the first one though! Is it a franchise you're fond of?
Oh yeah, I like all of them. The second one was the only one I was a bit meh on, but I didn't hate it by any means.

Oh yeah, I like all of them. The second one was the only one I was a bit meh on, but I didn't hate it by any means.
About to watch the second one right now, just waiting for it to download. Can't wait to see the new one and to read your thoughts!

104. Mission: Impossible (1996)

Director: Brian De Palma

Given the critical acclaim of this new Mission Impossible film, I just had to tune into the franchise and see what it's all about. It's very hard to make an interesting film, much less six in a row, and I think this first film definitely did a great job at getting me on board with the franchise. Really, you can never go wrong with Tom Cruise, and this was an awesome tool to launch him into action-stardom. This film pretty much indicated that the franchise is about classic villain plotting, mixed with tension-filled action sequences, and it was very well done in this first film. The first mission was fantastic and very well-plotted and edited, the vault break-in scene depicted above had me on edge, I think it might be the quintessential MI scene that I will think of, and the final chase sequence inside the train tunnel was amazing, even to this day. This one really sucked me into the MI world and it made me excited to dive into the rest of the franchise.

SCORE - 83/100

105. Mission: Impossible II (2000)

Director: John Woo

This one was odd. It really did nothing for Nathan Hunt's character other than just explore his romantic side, but it just didn't fit in the narrative. First of all, the character writing on his partner was weak, and their chemistry was basically non-existent. The script was very odd too, there are some scenes and single shots that feel very out-of-left-field and it really made me raise an eyebrow, there was a moment towards the end of the film that just caused me to erupt in laughter. It's badly made, make no mistake about that, still very entertaining though, and Tom Cruise really elevates mediocre material, some action sequences are also memorable enough for me. An interesting chapter for sure, wouldn't say I hated it, but I didn't love it either.

SCORE - 50/100

106. Mission: Impossible III

Director: J.J. Abrams

Well Hello J.J Abrahams! This was a lovely surprise, I had no idea he directed this film. Films like these make me really appreciate a variety of directors taking turns with the franchise, and it's great talent, it makes each film stand-out as unique, the franchise never really blends into an exhausting noise of sameness, yet it still has a very specific DNA sprinkled throughout each entry. This one was great, almost as good as the original I would say, while I would still call the former a much tighter film, this one did have a great plot, and it was executed so well. Unlike the second film, I actually got on board with the relationship on this film, very well-established, chemistry on point, really sets the stakes for the mission. Just like the first film, this one has a handful of very memorable and impressive action set-pieces, the bridge explosion, the restaurant shoot-out, the skyscraper surfing scene above was bonkers! Great entry in the franchise, love it.

SCORE - 81/100