Guaporense's live action thread

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Most people I know have never watched Citizen Kane,
...That's not doing your comparison any favors.

Overall Citizen Kane is a highly cult movie nobody that is not a hardcore movie buff ever heard about, I mean, it's a 75 year old movie.
You could say the same for Casablanca, but I know American teenagers who've never seen a black and white movie who know what Casablanca is.

(mainstream shows like Big Bang Theory, Friends and How I Meet Your Mother are not visually impressive)
They're also sitcoms which are more than likely terrible examples.

Both mainstream movies like Star Wars 7 or Jurassic World and mainstream TV shows like Big Bang Theory and Two and Half Men are not visually interesting.
You and I have very different opinion of what's visually interesting.

I think my point in that essay was pretty clear Omni. You don't need to know all individual references I made to understand it, anyway, one should know Anime to know the artistic potential of TV because there is nothing like it in the west.

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Reason for watching it: I watched this movie because it was directed by the same girls as The Matrix.

Review: This is very unique movie for a hollywood blockbuster. It's similar in concept to hipster hollywood movies like that one where there is a studio inside a studio N times or that classic terrible film The Tree of Life. Overall though it's better than these, partly because it's much less pretentious and more conventional in its execution.

I disliked though the lack of clarity in the movie's narrative because one had to make some effort to grasp it and I dislike doing that while consuming my entertainment. Still, it's a very similar movie in overall flavor to other movies from our favorite duo of (transitioned) sister directors. However, this is perhaps their most art like film, considering it consists of a collection of shorts liked by theme.

Well, reading in wikipedia that it's an indepdent film that was filmed and partially funded in Germany. That explains how they could come up with such artsyness for a blockbuster film costing over 100 million dollars.

A very interesting film overall. Though I had some problems with the film'a sound and couldn't understand all the dialogue (I am not a native English speaker afterall).

I disliked though the lack of clarity in the movie's narrative because one had to make some effort to grasp it and I dislike doing that while consuming my entertainment
Surprised to hear that. Got any similar examples?

All Guap has any interest in is Anime, Sci-Fi and a few arthouse directors like Tarkovsky and Ozu. He'll say as much himself, he's already said on more than one occasion that he has seen all of the movies worth seeing.

I think I have indeed watched 90% of the best movies (for me). However, you shouldn't be such an as hole, I obviously have wider interests than "Japanese animation, Sci Fi and a few arthouse directors", by the way, Ozu is not an arthouse director.

All Guap has any interest in is Anime, Sci-Fi and a few arthouse directors like Tarkovsky and Ozu. He'll say as much himself, he's already said on more than one occasion that he has seen all of the movies worth seeing.

I think I have indeed watched 90% of the best movies (for me). However, you shouldn't be such an as hole, I obviously have wider interests than "Japanese animation, Sci Fi and a few arthouse directors", by the way, Ozu is not an arthouse director.
In what way am i wrong? You have zero interest in anything non anime, non sci-fi! I mean please don't pretend that you do at all.

Kamikaze Girls is the best movie I watched this year, it's not Sci Fi and it's not anime. You are obviously proven wrong.

Also, anime is such a varied world that if a person does have interest in anime is like saying a person has interest in books. Mark F has zero interest outside of Hollywood movies, for example, I don't have such restricted interests at all.

Also, anime is such a varied world that if a person does have interest in anime is like saying a person has interest in books. Mark F has zero interest outside of Hollywood movies, for example, I don't have such restricted interests at all.
Yah, no interest outside Anime, thanks for proving my point. It is fine if that is the case but it is not fine when you are trying to deny your own words man, Guap: Anime, Sci-Fi and Tarkovsky is all in my opinion".

That wasn't you but stop pretending like you have any interest in movies, you have an interest in a few very specific things which is fine.

That wasn't you but stop pretending like you have any interest in movies, you have an interest in a few very specific things which is fine.
Don't be such an arrogant a shole to label me in that way just because I am not a brainwashed hollywood drone like most people here. In fact, my tastes in movies are way more varied than the vast majority of the people here.

But anyway talking to you is obviously a complete waste of my time.

Don't be such an arrogant a shole to label me in that way just because I am not a brainwashed hollywood drone like most people here.

But anyway talking to you is obviously a complete waste of my time.
Didn't ever call you a brainwashed anything. You have only ever shown interest in anime, sci-fi and Tarkosvky. If anything i've said is wrong please tell me, please show me you having interest in anything other than that? Yeah, didn't think so. Nothing wrong with that but please don't pretend like you have any interest outside of that.