Guaporense's live action thread

→ in
Tools    

Citizen Kane, despite being a live action character study from the 1940's without any crazy elements in it, it's a very visually innovative and visually aggressive film. It's, very, very different visually from other movies from the time it was made, it's much more dynamic.

Citizen Kane, despite being a live action character study from the 1940's without any crazy elements in it, it's a very visually innovative and visually aggressive film. It's, very, very different visually from other movies from the time it was made, it's much more dynamic.
Ssssstill... maybe pick a live-action TV show?

There are many visually audacious anime TV series. Like Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy, Utena and Madoka. I don't know any live action TV series that tries to be aesthetically audacious to the same degree. In the west, TV shows still suffer from the stigma of not being "art". Also, animation allows greater artistic freedom.

There are many visually audacious anime TV series. Like Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy, Utena and Madoka. I don't know any live action TV series that tries to be aesthetically audacious to the same degree. In the west, TV shows still suffer from the stigma of not being "art". Also, animation allows greater artistic freedom.
True, but because animation allows greater artistic freedom, shouldn't you be comparing Madoka to an animated movie?

While animation holds greater potential for visual expression its true that the vast majority of aesthetically creative Hollywood movies are live action, movies like Apocalypse Now, 2001 and Citizen Kane are on a level above any Hollywood animation in terms of visual creativity (IMO).

While animation holds greater potential for visual expression its true that the vast majority of aesthetically creative Hollywood movies are live action, movies like Apocalypse Now, 2001 and Citizen Kane are on a level above any Hollywood animation in terms of visual creativity (IMO).
Well, it is my opinion that your opinion on this matter does not serve your essay very well. The correlation seems too vague to be a convincing comparison.

If you're defending TV as a whole, perhaps you're better served without a niche genre like anime as example OR at the very least, something more tonally appropriate.

Anime is not niche (Citizen Kane is much more of a niche film than Madoka is a niche TV show), anime is not a genre and apparently you did not quite understand my point. By the way, manga as a whole is perhaps more diverse than TV as a whole.

Winter Soldier (2014)

Reason for watching: Decided to watch Winter Soldier after I noticed people talking about the new one and saying this one was better. Since it had been quite awhile since I watched a blockbuster American movie I decided to watch something like this, a juicy little blockbuster.

Review: Well, I didn't care that much for the movie's writing which despite the critics praise, I found it quite, well, cliche and boring. The best part of the movie's plot for me was in the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd quarter of the movie when I was very much into the intrigue of the film. After the plot started being, well, all presented in a very clear and concise manner it got a bit boring, I don't know why though, but it became less interesting after the first 75 minutes.

I guess because the plot was revealed to be quite the standard James Bond type of plot with the evil guy using an evil superweapon to do evil deeds and the main character has to stop him.

There was even a bond girl in the movie! Overall, this felt pretty much like a James Bond movie, it reminded me of Quantum of Solace (where the main character is also fighting against the organization he was a member of), however, the distinct difference is that in this movie the main character was physically, well, "slightly" stronger than a secret agent.

The special effects were very good and were one of the things holding my attention by the end. Although it's obvious that everything was CGI, I love that videogame look of modern hollywood movies. Well, CGI is a form of animation and as a fan of animation I appreciate it more than special effects made using things like plastic models. The other thing holding my attention was Scarlett.

Overall it's a very well executed movie that suffers a bit from the clichedness of its plot.

Manga/anime is about as niche in Japan as popular music is niche in the west (I.e. rock, pop, hip hop, etc). So do you think Madonna or Michael Jackson is niche? Stuff like Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul or Assassination Classroom in Japan is like Madonna and Eminem in the US.

Read some books on the subject:

Western anime fans have no idea how big manga is outside of the west. A friend of mine from Vietnam read the whole Dragonball manga, for instance.

Well, Americans think that anything that is not American is niche I guess. However, there is such a thing as different cultures in the world with their own cultural products and these cultural products are not mainstream in the US but they are in their native areas.

Madoka has been added by 302,826 people in MyAnineList while Citizen Kabe has 293,113 ratings in the IMDB. And notice these are English language sites, in Japan obviously the number of people who watched PMMM is several hundreds of times Citizen Kane.

Manga/anime is about as niche in Japan
Western anime fans have no idea how big manga is outside of the west.
Exactly, you're posting your essay on a forum that clearly isn't Japanese-oriented and where most users have dabbled only very lightly into anime if at all. You have to consider your audience before you make those kinds of comparisons.

I get what you're talking about, but I don't imagine most people here will see the connection you do between Madoka and Citizen Kane, certainly not on a surface level. The alternative is readers specifically going out of their way to watch Madoka to see what you mean, but that's highly unlikely, especially given your post doesn't even specifically recommend people see it.

Well, Americans think that anything that is not American is niche I guess.
Gangnam Style certainly doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

Toyota doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

Monty Python doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

None of these things are American, but they're recognized and indulged in by Americans nationwide.

Exactly, you're posting your essay on a forum that clearly isn't Japanese-oriented and where most users have dabbled only very lightly into anime if at all. You have to consider your audience before you make those kinds of comparisons.
This forum is not TV oriented as well.

I get what you're talking about, but I don't imagine most people here will see the connection you do between Madoka and Citizen Kane, certainly not on a surface level. The alternative is readers specifically going out of their way to watch Madoka to see what you mean, but that's highly unlikely, especially given your post doesn't even specifically recommend people see it.
I am just giving an example of a TV show that features direction and visuals to a very high degree. It doesn't need to be "mainstream" or not.

Gangnam Style certainly doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

Toyota doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

Monty Python doesn't wear that badge of obscurity.

None of these things are American, but they're recognized and indulged in by Americans nationwide.
I would guess Pokemon and Dragonball to be less obscure than Gangnam style even in the US. Toyota is a car brand, its not culture (products tend to be more globalized than culture because they don't require cultural background to be enjoyed).

Overall, though, my point is not about mainsteamness or not. Anyway, Citizen Kane is not mainstream either.

Terminator Genisys (2015)

Reason I watched it: And in continuing my quest to watch every movie that cost over 150 million dollars to make.

Review: Well, what can I say... It's your generic hollywood recycling the same franchise over and over again and the reason they do this? Well, we continue to watch these movies don't we? Anyway, this was not a bad movie. True, this is not something actually great or of significant artistic value being your average run of the mill action movie, but it's a fun action movie. More fun and entertaining than Winter Soldier (which felt a bit tad too pretentious for me).

Overall, I found it better than Terminator 3 and 4, which felt ever more "hollywoodish" in the sense of violating a beloved franchise to make more money. This one does its fanfiction style with pride and feels like Star Wars 7 in a sense in heavily referencing back to previous films (the first two, the classics). But it's not as good as Star Wars 7. Still it's nice to see Arnuld kick some ass and also to see the "mother of dragons" with brown hair.

And in continuing my quest to watch every movie that cost over 150 million dollars to make.
That must be torture, so many of those films are horrendous.

I really like Terminator 1 and 2. Terminator 3 was terrible so i haven't watched any of the others, i don't really have an interest in Terminator as a franchise the first two are just a really big part of my childhood so my interest ends there.

Originally Posted by Guaporense
This forum is not TV oriented as well.
True, but it's willful ignorance to suggest that anime is on par with non-anime TV in general. Just look at the Television subforum, it's in the gross minority.

You still got people talking bout The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones in there, you approach them with Madoka and they're not gonna know WTF you're talking about.

I am just giving an example of a TV show that features direction and visuals to a very high degree. It doesn't need to be "mainstream" or not.
I understand where you're coming from, but bear in mind that the more obscure something is to your audience, the less they're likely to understand your comparison.

Toyota is a car brand, its not culture (products tend to be more globalized than culture because they don't require cultural background to be enjoyed).
You said "anything" not "any culture".

Citizen Kane is not mainstream either.
Isn't that sort of like saying Ghost in the Shell isn't mainstream in the anime community? When it comes to movies you'd be hard-pressed not to know of it.

Most people I know have never watched Citizen Kane, in fact I know only one person in real life besides me who has watched Citizen Kane, it's an Iranian friend of mine who also watched stuff like Bashu: the Little Stranger and Kiarostami's movies. Overall Citizen Kane is a highly cult movie nobody that is not a hardcore movie buff ever heard about, I mean, it's a 75 year old movie.

Now, my point in the TV essay was that there are TV shows that feature high level of attention to it's visual aspects, which movie buffs traditionally tend to assume that they don't exist. It's true that there are no mainstream American TV shows that feature high quality visuals (mainstream shows like Big Bang Theory, Friends and How I Meet Your Mother are not visually impressive), but there are relatively obscure auteur TV shows like Yuri Kuma Arashi that feature very unique and interesting visual style.

Both mainstream movies like Star Wars 7 or Jurassic World and mainstream TV shows like Big Bang Theory and Two and Half Men are not visually interesting.

That must be torture, so many of those films are horrendous.
They can be bad but they are FUN (like John Carter). Blockbuster movies are well made entertainment machines. While they are not usually artistically good they still manage to hold my attention.

It helps that blockbuster movies are all made for males between the ages of 14 and 35 as well.

I really like Terminator 1 and 2. Terminator 3 was terrible so i haven't watched any of the others, i don't really have an interest in Terminator as a franchise the first two are just a really big part of my childhood so my interest ends there.
I love the first terminator movies while the other 3 are ok blockbuster science fiction movies.

Reason I watched it: And in continuing my quest to watch every movie that cost over 150 million dollars to make.
Are you trying to kill yourself, Guap?