JayDee's 100 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

I am also a big Stallone fan and I enjoyed Over the Top. It's strange that there's a movie that deals with an arm-wrestling championship.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
For anyone about to feel a sense of deja vu I've taken the comments for some films from what I had previously posted in the movie tab thread. Save myself a little time

90. A Matter of Life and Death

“The rights of the uncommon man must always be respected.”

An enchanting, romantic fantasy. It just gives you a nice warm, happy feeling while you're watching it. The opening ten minutes are very magical as we first scan across the universe and then drop in on the conversation between a seemingly doomed soldier and the voice on the other end of the line. It's a beautifully charming scene between the two which makes you buy the immediate love they feel for each other.

The performances of the cast are almost universally excellent, with Roger Livesey being my personal stand-out. His performance during the court trial is just captivating.

The effects are very impressive. In their day they must have been astounding and even today they still delight, in particular the freezing of the table tennis match and the wonderful staircase from heaven. Indeed the whole realisation of Heaven is spectacular, probably the most interesting I've seen on screen. The split between colour and black and white could have been very gimmicky but for me really works and both are beautiful to look at. A thoroughly absorbing, elegant film.

89. Groundhog Day

“What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today?”

A truly endearing and often hilarious romantic fantasy/comedy. It takes an absurd idea and fills it with a whole lot of imagination, humour and heart.

Bill Murray is great here in what is a trademark performance, And for a comedy it can be quite dark as well, as his character experiments with all manners of life choices. He tries being evil, being saintly good, not caring and committing suicide multiple times. Oh and Stephen Tobolowsky is excellent as Ned.

This would actually have been a quite a bit higher in the past but I think I'm suffering a little fatigue from it. Watched it complete quite a few times, and it's also a film that's on TV a lot and I'll catch portions of it quite often. Will lay off it for a while and go back to it fresh at some point.

88. The Hard Way/ Doc Hollywood

“When are you going to get me something with a little relevance, a little social conscience, something that doesn't have a ******* Roman numeral in the title? You ever hear of "Hamlet III", "Midsummer Night's IV"?” ~ The Hard Way

“Beverly Hills. The most beautiful woman in the world. Plastic surgery. What do those three things have in common?
Me, in less than a week.” ~ Doc Hollywood

I'm a massive fan of Michael J Fox; he is one of my favourite actors. From his classic sitcoms; Family Ties and Spin City, to his guest appearance in Scrubs and Boston Legal, and many of his films in between he's just an actor I love watching. So outside of the obvious choice (which you may see later on ) I had to include some more of his work. And I couldn't choose between those two.

Both released in the same year they see Fox playing very similar characters – very arrogant, brash, full-of-themselves guys. In The Hard Way he nails a parody of a spoiled Hollywood star and forms a very funny double act with James Woods. It's the classic buddy movie but lifted by the impressive performances of Fox and Woods. Doc Hollywood is just a lovely romantic comedy where he plays a doctor on his way to Beverly Hills, but who grudgingly ends up stuck in a small town full of quirky characters. He begins to enjoy it a lot more though when he meets Julie Warner's character.

Just two, fun little gems. Other films I really like of his include Teen Wolf and Greedy.

87. Local Hero

We won't have anywhere to call home, but we'll be stinkin' rich.”

A charming, gentle, whimsical little tale. It's not exactly an original story (a small community full of sweet, quirky characters that win over someone who doesn't understand the nature of the place when they first arrive) but it's beautifully told. Not a lot happens really but still it's able to comment on many of life's big subjects – nature, loneliness, the search for happiness, finding a place to belong etc

Then there is the sheer beauty of the film, making full use of the stunning Scottish scenery. Making it feel very mythical and mystical. And lastly the wonderful music throughout, especially Mark Knopfler's triumphant theme at the end. Oh and Burt Lancaster is an absolute hoot!

I also think it's one of those films that has just about a perfect ending. As a Scot myself I may be a little biased but I think this is a gem of a movie.

86. Heathers

“Suicide gave Heather depth, Kurt a soul, and Ram a brain. I don't know what it's given me,
but I have no control over myself when I'm with J.D. Are we going to prom or to hell?”

Dark comedies don't really come much darker than this classic, cult 80s comedy. Incredibly controversial at the time of its release (not hard to see why) it still packs enough punch to shock. Loaded with all the classic school clichés – peer pressure, cliques, jocks, cruel bitches etc the film sets about slaughtering them, quite literally at times.

Christian Slater and Winona Ryder make for a wonderfully entertaining and murderous duo. Slater especially has never been better in my opinion. For everyone that felt like an outsider at school this should be a joy as your dark dreams are played out. I certainly wish I'd seen it as a teenager

Oh and croquet has sadly never been as cool as it was in this film!

Another great set of films, JD. I didn't think Local Hero was that great, but other than that, they're all great.

I might comment a little more later, but atm I'm 3 seconds away from beheading some very loud, small children.

Lots of good stuff. Three Amigos, The Fugitive and Groundhog Day are likely to fall somewhere in my top 100 also. I also thought the Hot Shots movies were hilarious. And you've reminded me that I really need to watch Harvey one of these days (I can't believe I've never seen it). Keep it up.

Thank you for the compliments Deadlite and Mikey. Always nice to find a fan of the Three Amigos. Not enough of them around in my opinion

Another great set of films, JD. I didn't think Local Hero was that great, but other than that, they're all great.

I might comment a little more later, but atm I'm 3 seconds away from beheading some very loud, small children.
Thanks HK. Well perhaps it's me looking through my Scottish tinted glasses but I think it's a great film. Nice to see I'm keeping up the quality in your eyes

Hope you got them. Kids drive me nuts!!!

85. The Usual Suspects

“The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.”

A fantastically and tightly constructed film this does deserve all the praise it gets. It really is one of the best films of the 90s, one that should be seen. Written and directed expertly it has top quality performances from the large ensemble cast, especially Kevin Spacey as Verbal Kint.

With so many twists and turns, contradictions and mind-games it is really a thrilling ride. We're never actually sure what's going on and what is the truth. Even at the end we're not too sure; questions still remain.

84. Vertigo

“Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere.”

When I first watched this film I wasn't too sure what to make of it. But for the next few days I found it sticking with me, playing it over and over in my mind. And it's now a film I have great affection for.

It is an enigmatic, haunting, compelling film. It is a truly mysterious film, which left me with no idea of where the film was going. Was what I was seeing real? A dream? A delusion? Was she a ghost? And just when you think the film has reached it's natural conclusion it switches into something else, as James Stewart's character tries to reinvent someone into the woman he loved and lost. Making her look the same, wear the same clothes, same style of hair etc. It is a rather dark, creepy turn

The film looks beautiful and has superb performances from James Stewart and Kim Novak

83. Bird on a Wire

“You come to Detroit and you rent a Beamer? That's like going to Germany and eating Jimmy Dean sausages!”

Certainly not a film that many people seem to like but I've always found great enjoyment in it. It mixes a Hitchcock-style thriller plot with lots of humour; allowing Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn to be their usual appealing selves, and some great action. I've always been a big fan of both Gibson and Hawn in these kind of films so having them together is probably a large part of the reason why I like it so much.

While it's not a great film there's just something about it that really does it for me. I think the fact that my mum kind of introduced me to the film when I was young and we've watched it together a few times probably builds up my fondness for it.

82. Remember the Titans

“In Greek mythology, Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power.
Well that football field out there tonight, that's out universe. Let's rule it like Titans.”

Not exactly a highly praised but I think it's rather excellent. It may feature a number of the classic sports movie clichés but I think it's a really well made, classy and inspirational film. I find that it works on a few levels. Just as a plain old sports film I think it's very good but what's more interesting is the drama of the story and the racial elements it deals with.

Outside of Denzel Washington (who is excellent) the cast are mostly young unknowns which I think works well, their raw energy making their performances very realistic. They help make the film funny, powerful and very moving.

I was a big fan of the TV show Cold Case, and in a number of ways this film reminds me of it. It has the period setting complete with hairstyles and fashion, deals with themes and a story that Cold Case dealt with a lot, and also makes frequent use of the music from the time.

81. Time After Time

“Every age is the same. It's only love that makes any of them bearable.”

This is a real little gem of a film. Surely all I really have to say is H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper in present day (well 1979 but present at the time) San Francisco and you will understand why it's such fun.

The reason I really like this film is that it works on a few different levels. It works as an interesting, offbeat time travel tale, as a suspenseful thriller and also as a really touching little love story.

The performances are all really strong. Malcolm McDowell is wonderful as H.G. Wells creating a character to really root for; someone who is a little bit shy, earnest in his beliefs and with enough bravery to go head to head with Jack the Ripper. Mary Steenburgen is delightfully sweet as the love interest, very impressive for her first performance which reminded me a lot of her character in Back to the Future III. And David Warner is suitably intimidating and fearsome as Jack, while also convincing as a surgeon who could fit into society as a respected man.

A sweet, fun and entertaining film

80. Royal Tenenbaums

“I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum.”

I'm a really big fan of offbeat indie comedy-dramas, films I like to call 'Wes Anderson-type films.' And I think this is the first film of that kind that I really saw, certainly the first that really appealed to me.

An excellent ensemble cast drive the story along as all the members of the Tenenbaum clan are reunited under one house. Whilst the performances are more of the understated variety than the flashy, they are almost universally excellent. With an eclectic soundtrack adding to the tone this is a film of both great humour and poignancy.

79. Team America

“When you see Arec Barrwin, you see the true ugriness of human nature.”

For me this is a brilliant, hilarious satire which uses the South Park tactic of going after everyone. After all if you take shots at everyone then you're not singling out anyone and anything in particular for abuse.

The standout of the film is definitely Kim Jong Il. He's fantastic. The moment where he sings “I'm so ronery” is an absolute highlight. That along with so many funny moments and cracking songs (“We Need a Montage” and both versions of “America, F**k yeah!” - kickass and sad) make this one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

The film also achieves the incredible feat of perfectly spoofing a film (GI Joe) five years before it existed!

78. Stand by Me

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”

A film that beautifully captures the highs and lows of childhood friendships. Told in flashback it is presented in that lovely nostalgic, rose tinted tone that I always find quite endearing.

All of the young actors are fantastic and make for a wonderful group, having a very believable bond and rapport with each other. I can see so much in here that reminds me of moments and incidents from my childhood involving my old friends. All the hopes, dreams, dares, arguments, regrets and memories.

Packed with action and humour this classic coming of age story also has a very touching, hearteflt finale that should put a lump in the throat or a little tear in the eye of anyone that sees it.

77. The Sandlot

“You're killing me, Smalls!”

Throughout this list there are going to be a few films like this scattered about. Films that I fell in love with as a kid and still have great affection for. Films I've not grown out of yet

This is such a sweet, charming little film. It has a real aura and a glow about it, making it feel very nostalgic. It reminds me of Stand by Me and The Wonder Years in a way in terms of its nostalgic tone and looking back at the best times of these kids' lives, and the friendships and the bond they had. While baseball does play a part, there are also a lot of other moments and scenarios which just take you right back to childhood as your remember things that you and your friends did back then. It's a rather wonderful little film.

This also represents a whole genre I loved – the family sports movies that seemed to be quite abundant in the 90s which I was very fond of. In particular films like Rookie of the Year, Little Big League, Angels in the Outfield, Little Giants etc

76. The Lost Boys

“You're a vampire, Michael. My own brother, a ****** s**t-sucking vampire. You wait 'til Mom finds out buddy!”

I like films where you can clearly identify either the country or the decade it was made in. Where you can say “This film is so French.” or “This film is so 40s”. Well this film is so 80s. The fashion, the style, the music, the hairstyles, the actors involved. It is painfully 80s! And all the better for it!

Full of adventure and comedy it is a highly entertaining film. With impressive sets and haunting atmosphere it has an excellent look about it. While many of the actors may not be highly talented and have since disappeared really, many of them seem just perfect here. Whether it's Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric going head to head, or the comic relief provided by Corey Feldman and Corey Haim, this was the high point in the careers of so many people.

It also features one of my favourite ever soundtracks, with so many classic songs that just perfectly fit the film. Particular stand-outs are “Cry Little Sister” and Echo and the Bunnymen's “People Are Strange.”

And you can stuff your Twilights, this is how to make a vampire film. All in all this is just a very entertaining film.

Lost Boys and Team America are brilliant, the others hideous.
Naahh. Of that group, I prefer Stand By Me and The Sandlot. Of the previous group, Remember the Titans is excellent, and Vertigo joins Harvey on the list of films I keep meaning to watch soon.

Oh come on! I thought we we were friends!!! Have I started to lose you a little with my list? You've not even +repped me for my last two batches. Hopefully I'll be able to get you back soon.

Just wondering HK with Stand by Me and Sandlot joining Local Hero as films you're not keen on, do you not really like those kind of nostalgic, whimsical films in general?

Just thinking about it and I'm not sure Royal Tenenbaums should actually be there. I loved it when I first saw it and had it on my list back then but just kind of picked it without thinking, and came up with some waffle to write about it. Certainly don't think it should be ahead of films like In the Line of Fire, Pelham 123, Cable Guy etc now that I really think about it

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
You really don't like Stand by Me, I thought that was such a great movie.

I just saw Harvey for the first time a couple weeks ago, I don't know why it took me so long to watch it, but i'm glad I finally did, it would deffinatly be in my top 100-108.

Just thinking about it and I'm not sure Royal Tenenbaums should actually be there. I loved it when I first saw it and had it on my list back then but just kind of picked it without thinking, and came up with some waffle to write about it. Certainly don't think it should be ahead of films like In the Line of Fire, Pelham 123, Cable Guy etc now that I really think about it
The hazards of creating a list. You're always going to be second guessing and nitpicking it. Always remembering things you should have included. That's why I haven't been able to finalize mine yet.

The hazards of creating a list. You're always going to be second guessing and nitpicking it. Always remembering things you should have included. That's why I haven't been able to finalize mine yet.
I know but I went through the list a few times and moved stuff about, but somehow glazed over Royal Tenenbaums or would have likely dropped a number of places or off the list all together

I just saw Harvey for the first time a couple weeks ago, I don't know why it took me so long to watch it, but i'm glad I finally did, it would deffinatly be in my top 100-108.
Nice to hear it would be in your top 100/108 as well. Just a really sweet charming film. He may have made better films but I'm not sure James Stewart had a better role; one that he was more suited to play

So, I'm a little late but this is a great list so far. Specifically love that you added Cable Guy- such a great Carrey film. Also love Usual Suspects Keep it up Jay!

Oh come on! I thought we we were friends!!! Have I started to lose you a little with my list? You've not even +repped me for my last two batches. Hopefully I'll be able to get you back soon.
I'm sure you will. You've not lost me, I'm just on the tipping point between + rep or not. For your previous batch, I love The Usual Suspect and enjoyed Time After Time, though I can't remember much about it.

Just wondering HK with Stand by Me and Sandlot joining Local Hero as films you're not keen on, do you not really like those kind of nostalgic, whimsical films in general?
There are exceptions, but that's probably right. I get nostalgic about things I used/saw/ect when I was young, not the times. For example, for me, Dawn Of The Dead is a comfort film. It's nostalgic of my childhood. Films about childhood are not.

I'm not surprised to hear that you're already have a film that you'd place differently. That's been the biggest reason it took me so long to do my list. You just have to accept that, in the end, all you can do is get them within around 5 places either way. So, some days, you could find a film anything upto 10 places away from where you have it today. That's what I did anyway.

So, I'm a little late but this is a great list so far. Specifically love that you added Cable Guy- such a great Carrey film. Also love Usual Suspects Keep it up Jay!
Thanks Paris. Had been wondering where you were at. And nice to see yet another fan of the Cable Guy. Really liking the love it's getting

I'm sure you will. You've not lost me, I'm just on the tipping point between + rep or not. For your previous batch, I love The Usual Suspect and enjoyed Time After Time, though I can't remember much about it.

There are exceptions, but that's probably right. I get nostalgic about things I used/saw/ect when I was young, not the times. For example, for me, Dawn Of The Dead is a comfort film. It's nostalgic of my childhood. Films about childhood are not.

I'm not surprised to hear that you're already have a film that you'd place differently. That's been the biggest reason it took me so long to do my list. You just have to accept that, in the end, all you can do is get them within around 5 places either way. So, some days, you could find a film anything upto 10 places away from where you have it today. That's what I did anyway.
Well I know you don't see the big deal about Vertigo so knew that wouldn't grab you.

Dawn of the Dead a comfort film? Good film but not sure I've ever heard it called that before

"That's been the biggest reason it took me so long to do my list." - Does that mean you've actually done your list? If not I thought you'd have said "biggest reason it's taking me so long."

Anyway having a bit of problem with photobucket so will have to leave the next batch until tomorrow.

An interesting list so far looking forward the rest

Just realised I have more films than I do spots left. While working out the list I went quite low-tech - piece of paper with scribbles all over it. Anyway just turned over the page for the rest and realised there were a couple of errors.

I already have a couple of doubles (like Hard Way and Doc Hollywood together) which I had planned on, but need to double up another film or two as well. Starting with my next batch I think

An interesting list so far
Hmmm. An 'interesting' word to describe my list. Quite non-committal. No idea whether you like it or hate it!

But I'll certainly take interesting. Probably the best way to describe a list that features Vertigo next to Bird on a Wire, and Three Amigos next to Spring, Summer...

Oh and I also just saw my first 'new' film which may come into contention when I redo the list at some point in the future - An American Werewolf in London