Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
Very good film, great acting and a very good history. Visconti and his great camera work strikes again, top quality black and white.

She's stunning!

So far he didn't disappointed me!

------Luchino Visconti------
1943 Obsession ★★★★
1948 The Earth Will Tremble ★★★★
1951 Bellissima ★★★★
1954 Senso ★★★★★
1957 White Nights ★★★★
1960 Rocco and His Brothers ★★★★★
1963 The Leopard ★★★★★
1965 Sandra ★★★★
1967 The Stranger
1969 The Damned
1971 Death in Venice
1972 Ludwig
1974 Conversation Piece
1976 The Innocent

The next six films I will be watching for the first time!

Dante's Peak. A vulcanologist arrives in the small town of Dante's Peak, an idyllic community nestled at the foot of a long dormant volcano, and soon becomes convinced that the volcano is about to wake up in spectacular fashion. Pierce Brosnan and Terminator icon Linda Hamilton star in this late 90s disaster flick that was one of a variety of a mini-revivals of that genre in that period to take advantage of the then new CGI effects, though there's enough old fashioned movie craftsmanship in here that it now ironically feels very old school. I haven't seen this in nigh on 20 years and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The New York Times (or The New Yorker) had to be on crack when they recommended this movie. Horrible. Atrocious. Boring.

The More the Merrier (1943)

This was a VERY cute film, a laugh-a-minute screwball comedy. It features the great Charles Coburn in an unusual off-beat, quirky comedic role-- much different from what he usually plays; and he really brings it off!

The teasing build up to the love and kissing of the Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea characters was a little drawn out, but that was common in the '40s & '50s. Yet it's a very satisfying flick.

It was first rate directing by George Stevens, prior to his changing the type of material he used.

I prefer it to the 1966 remake, Walk, Don't Run, with Cary Grant, Samantha Eggar and Jim Hutton.

~Doc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Interstellar -

how have I seen this three times now

OMG i couldnt even get through it once. Have they changed the appalling sound differences ffor tv!? Probably not.

Welcome to the human race...
There was way too much turning it up for the whispered dialogue and turning it down for the surround-sound orchestra.

Friday the 13th Part III -

anyone else think these movies are a little repetitive

INTO THE WHITE: (2012)

It is rare to have a heart warming theme running thru a war film. Into The White, based on actual events, is one such film.

At the beginning of World War II a hostile encounter in the skies above the Norwegian wilderness leaves two aircraft - one British, one German - shot down in a remote and isolated region. Survivors from both planes find a small hut almost at the same time. What follows is two bitter enemies gradually putting aside the brutal rules of war in order to survive.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Smooth first day on the new warehouse job for Thom Matthews.

Rating:
+ 8.5 / 10

SSQ - Tonight

Back Door To Heaven (William K. Howard, 1939)

Not quite the salacious fare I was expecting

Back Door To Heaven (William K. Howard, 1939)

Not quite the salacious fare I was expecting
Reminds me of the brilliant line in Beautiful Creatures (2000), when Alex Norton's character asks in Glaswegian tones "Do you have a reasonably accessible back passage I could make use of?"

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★
There are two films in "The Stranger" - The inconsistent drama that doesn't look that was shot by Visconti, with bad use of zoom, bad acting by Marcello Mastroianni, and a boring plot, then there is the last 40 minutes with Visconti's hability as a director all around, good use of zoom and a good Marcello Mastroianni acting. Very strange, indeed... The ending is great, that conversation with the priest was powerful.

The actors tried, but the director sucks badly in setting the mood, with inconsistent style, awful editing, horrible script, horrible ending, horrible dialogues. I feel really bad for the actors, they looked ok, trying to do their best, but Matthew Ross does not know how to value that!

Stupid action from Cambodia. There are few good action scenes, but the comedy it's incredible bad, the acting sucks and the script was written by a six years child. It doesn't make any ****ing sense! Everything looks so fake! At least the camera and the editing isn't as bad as The Equalizer or some crap like that.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

+
Great. Absolutely great. I really need to read the book. The movie is very good, but it's Steinbeck who is the genius here.

Beach Rats (2017)

Loved it, and usually I'm not impressed with new movies these days. This one caught my attention at the get-go and held it until the film was over. Well made, loved the first person narrative voice over style, which made the film feel like a personal story. It's a wild story based on the real events as told by Molly Bloom.

+

Le Jour Se Leve (Marcel Carne, 1939)

Otherwise known as Daybreak or You Don't Mess with Jean Gabin.