Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Here in a few days, I will review another childhood favorite. I'm going to watch a HOF nomination tomorrow night.
I may have to join in on one or two as well. Wonderful idea doing that.

They weren't nominated , but I watched Rudolph and Christmas Vacation already this year.
Write 'em up and let them count. May encourage others to watch them

I'm going to rewatch Rare Exports and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas and write them up as well.

There are other holiday shows and movies I'm going to wstch as well.

Rudolph was on my shortlist. So was Frosty.
There are a lot of Rankin Bass Holiday shows

A Year Without A Santa
The First Christmas: The Story of the First Christmas Snow
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July
Jack Frost
Frosty's Winter Wonderland
The Miser Brothers Christmas
Frosty's Return
Rudolph's Shiny New Year
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The Little Drummer Boy
Frosty the Snowman
Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey
'Twas The Night Before Christmas
Pinocchio's Christmas
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

Lets not forget

How the Grinch Saved Christmas
A Charlie Brown Christmas
The Flintstone Christmas
Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper
Casper's First Christmas
A Very Merry Cricket
Mickey's Magical Christmas
Mickey's Once Upon A Time Christmas
Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too
Toy Tinkers
Pluto's Christmas Tree
Prep and Landing
The Small One
Duck the Halls: A Mickey Mouse Christmas Special

The Family Man
(2000)
Directed by Brett Ratner
Nominated by @Citizen Rules

Rich, single, Wall Street executive Jack gets a rude awaking when he actually wakes up Christmas morning married to his college sweetheart Kate and has 2 children with her. He learns that being single, rich and powerful isn't all that it's cut out to be. A family becomes important and he's trying to piece his life together. Once it fits perfectly together, things revert back to what it once was and now he must find out what life would be like going forward if he was with his once love.

This is a decent Nick Cage movie. I'm not a fan of his except him playing "Ghost Rider". The film is a "what if" film. Nice Christmas selection but not a fav.

The trick is not minding
Should have nominated The grinch who Stole Christmas.
And then pontificate on the importance of not having him change his mind and give the presents back.
Also, Scrooge for President 2024!

(1974)
Directed by Arthur Rankin Jr and Jules Bass

Thanks to a young mouse named Albert, Santa won't be visiting Junctionville, New York this Christmas. Albert and his friends wrote a letter and posted it in the local paper saying Santa was a fraud and so where his reindeer. The local clockmaker decides to make a large clock, that when it strikes Midnight, on Christmas Eve, a choir of children's voices sings to Santa. Alber fumbles things again when he decides to see how it works. His father talks to the clockmaker and confesses what his son did. But with the help of a song, Albert decides that perhaps he was wrong and tries to fix the clock before Santa flies by.

Cute Rankin-Bass holiday special, again one that I grew up with. The story was somewhat based on the poem by the same name. If you grew up in the 1970's, this is one I'm sure your family watched, just as mine did.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Joulutarina
(Christmas Story)
(2007)
Country of Origin: Finland
Directed by Juha Wuolijoki

The story of a young Laplander orphan boy named Nikolas and how he became what we know as Santa Claus or Father Christmas

After the death of his parents and baby sister, Nikolas goes to live with each family in the village for one year. As Christmas, comes around, he makes small animals and objects from wood and gives it to the previous families he lives. One year, the harvest is not bountiful nor are the lakes providing fish for food. Nikolas is sent to live with an old carpenter who treats him as a slave. One night, as Nikolas is found making gifts from discarded pieces of wood, his master scolds him but then decides he will give Nikolas the night of Christmas eve off to deliver the handmade gifts. Over time, the carpenter's heart softens and begins to help. After many years, the carpenter's sons finally come to take him to live better. Nikolas inherits the old carpenter's land and workshop. Nikolas becomes close friends with his best friend's daughter, Aada. Nikolas begins to deliver gifts to children who live in surrounding villages and wears a red suit to hide his identity. After many, many years, Aada convinces Nikolas, that in his old age, he needs to give up delivering gifts on Christmas eve. That Christmas eve, Aada is unable to find Nikolas and as her, her husband and son stand at the lake, where so many years ago, Nikolas lost his family, he comes by flying through the night, on his sleigh and with his reindeer.

I thought it was a cute telling of how Father Christmas came to be. It was imaginative and the acting was decent. However, I could only find the English dubbed version and not the original Finnish dialog with English subtitles.

If anyone is interested in viewing, its IMDB tv and Tubi tv for free.

After reading your review of this movie, I found it on Facebook videos, (English dubbed), and I watched it.

It's a very good movie. At first, I hated Iisakki, but I liked the way the relationship between Iisakki and Nikolas changed over time. It was like the good in Nikolas was rubbing off on Iisakki.

You probably should have nominated this movie for this HoF. I think it would have done well.

(1974)
Directed by Arthur Rankin Jr and Jules Bass

Thanks to a young mouse named Albert, Santa won't be visiting Junctionville, New York this Christmas. Albert and his friends wrote a letter and posted it in the local paper saying Santa was a fraud and so where his reindeer. The local clockmaker decides to make a large clock, that when it strikes Midnight, on Christmas Eve, a choir of children's voices sings to Santa. Albert fumbles things again when he decides to see how it works. His father talks to the clockmaker and confesses what his son did. But with the help of a song, Albert decides that perhaps he was wrong and tries to fix the clock before Santa flies by.

Cute Rankin-Bass holiday special, again one that I grew up with. The story was somewhat based on the poem by the same name. If you grew up in the 1970's, this is one I'm sure your family watched, just as mine did.

I don't think I've seen this one. It doesn't sound familiar. I'll have to look for it before the holidays are over.

The Family Man (2000)
I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I love the idea of a "glimpse" of what their lives could have been.

The only problem for me was that Jack never seemed to get over his obsession with money until the last few minutes of the movie. It just felt like he didn't deserve this "new" life with Kate because he still wanted his old life back. Even after he started to accept what was happening to him, he still tried to find a way to sneak back into his old life. I would have liked the movie more if he had just accepted his new life, and if he was happy just being "the family man", but he wanted to find a way to somehow have both lives.

I liked Don Cheadle's character, and I would have liked to see a few more appearances of him throughout the movie, instead of just a beginning and ending snippet.

The trick is not minding
Rise of the guardians

It’s a terrible thing, loneliness. Add in amnesia and a serious case of existentialism, and you have Jack Frost, Struggling to be noticed and accepted. What he won’t admit, is that he wants to be noticed, and accepted. Secretly, he wishes to be like Santa, Toothfairy, and Easter Bunny (who has history with Jack) and Sandman.
Noticed. *
He gets his chance when he’s called up to be a Guardian, by the Man on the Moon, who seems like a analogy for God.*
Pitch Black, the boogey man, wants to rule by fear.
And to be honest, Pitch (voiced wonderfully by Jude Law) is probably eh most interesting character here.
Although Jack is an interesting character, he isn’t voiced by someone who is able to convey that. (Chris Pine).
In fact, I didn’t find the characters well down at all, and didn’t think it was all the good until maybe 30 minutes in.
The characters are rather annoying with some dumb decisions thrown in. Santa with a Russian accent, Easter Bunny with an Australian accent. And the Toothfairy just looks too odd.
But the short comings of the character concepts are outweighed by the story.*
And it’s a good one. *I was surprised by it, in fact.
So, not a bad pick Raul. Not bad at all.

I thought it was called How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Is there a sequel that I don't know about?
You are right. No clue what I was thinking when I typed it.