Film about poisonous lizards

Tools    

Hi, everyone. Not sure why I started thinking about this, but now I can’t get this off my mind. It’s a film I saw ages ago, once, in the cinema. Around 2004-2005 would be my guess. It was about lizards, I think, living in the desert (the desert setting is a pretty solid recollection). Now, this is where it gets peculiar.

The film was not science fiction or another ‘speculative’ genre, as far as I can tell. Therefore, I assume, for now, that said reptiles exist in reality. I definitely seem to remember the lizards or whichever reptiles being poisonous. The story revolved around the people who came into contact with them in the desert and inevitably died. The film was ocher-coloured and felt reasonably suspenseful. However, there’s a small chance it was a documentary.

I know that’s really not much, but maybe someone knows it.

The trick is not minding
If it was about venomous lizards, it would have to be about the gila monster. Not much help, but knowing the name of the lizard should narrow your search.

Lizards can be carriers of salmonella. That could be the documentary subject.

Aberration 1997 from New Zealand is about lizards who attack, but they're not really poisonous.

Lizards can be carriers of salmonella. That could be the documentary subject.

Aberration 1997 from New Zealand is about lizards who attack, but they're not really poisonous.
Fair enough. This looks a bit too horror-y. The one I remember was pretty mild, ocher colour scheme, a general sense of suspense but not so over-the-top as this. Will have a read around. Doesn’t help that I don’t know much about reptiles.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Knowing how memories can blur, maybe take a look at Holes from around that time. The family movie is about a group of boys living in like a troubled youth camp out in the desert digging holes for punishment. There's a particular poisonous lizard that creeps around and eventually bites one of the kids.

Anyway. it's a longshot but lizards and the desert hit.

I could only think about the movie Holes when I read about the poisonous Lizards.

Yeah, Holes does have exactly the right lizards and it feels like it was made at the right time... I might have to tentatively accept that that was it, though I remember there being much more lizard narrative that had slightly more ominous overtones. But it feels too close to be wrong.

Thanks, but sounds a bit too vague. If I could read through a description of every film about lizards in the world, I’d have done it by now. I think if anyone had seen the film, they’d know what I’m talking about, as the lizards were pretty specific, had collars etc.

Sorry, I missed that somehow - I’ll watch it today and revert.
Nope. Alas, feeling a bit guilty at this point, but this is still not it. *sign*

These are dinosaur-level monsters, whereas in the film I’m looking for they were regular small lizards, very likely gila monsters (but as far as my memory is concerned, they looked more like chlamydosauri, had collars and there was definitely the colour orange).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlamydosaurus

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Nope. Alas, feeling a bit guilty at this point, but this is still not it. *sign*

These are dinosaur-level monsters, whereas in the film I’m looking for they were regular small lizards, very likely gila monsters (but as far as my memory is concerned, they looked more like chlamydosauri, had collars and there was definitely the colour orange).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlamydosaurus

There was one in Jurassic Park that killed Wayne Knight.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Chlamydosauri? So ... a dinosaur with an STD? Innovative. And frightening.