Anyone else here not like Pulp Fiction?

Tools    

Probably gonna get crucified for this but I found the film not terrible but mostly boring. It had memorable moments and great actors but as a film it just felt drawn out and not that engaging. Like the thing it gets the most praise for is the diaologue but a lot of it felt like it needed to be trimmed. A lot of it felt dragged out and lost its punch for me (an example would be when Marsellus gave a speech after being saved by Bruce Willis's character). A lot of the dialogue also feels forced to me and comes off as scripted diaologue attempting to sound improvised....
We mostly agree. This is what I wrote about Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction (1994)

The last time I watched Pulp Fiction was over twenty years ago, at that time like most people I thought it was great. I watched it for the second time, the other day. After twenty years my opinion has changed. When Pulp Fiction first came out it was a unique Indie film. Now for me that uniqueness has worn off.

On the pro side the characters are still rich and lively. I mean these are some colorful people! But the scenes drag, they go on and on past the point of the average attention span. Then there's the interesting conversations about nothing much, I.E. the famous Big Mac speech. At first this seems pretty cool, as the characters are talking like real life people. But after awhile I realized Quentin is just padding the film with random dialogue. And it grows thin. First John Travolta is an expert on an inane subject like hamburgers in Europe. Then
Samuel L. Jackson is an expert on foot massages and launches into his speech. Later this trend continues with Travolta and Uma Thurman at the restaurant both taking turns at their expert speeches.

Perhaps the worst part of the film is Quentin's acting role. Nothing takes you out of the world of Pulp Fiction like seeing Quentin act. It was such a strange juxtaposition of professional actors immersed in their roles (Travolta,Jackson) talking to Quentin in the kitchen scene. If this wasn't bad enough, Tarantino adds a block of dialogue about getting his good linen dirty when he talks to Harvey Keitel. This scene erases any integrity that the film had built up. Not to mention the entirely unnecessary scene in the junk yard with Julie Sweeney who seemed an odd choice for this film.

In short the movie is too long, the scenes are too long, and Quentin's on screen time is a distraction. Once this film might have seem like something interesting. Now it's just another flick.

Probably gonna get crucified for this but I found the film not terrible but mostly boring. It had memorable moments and great actors but as a film it just felt drawn out and not that engaging. Like the thing it gets the most praise for is the diaologue but a lot of it felt like it needed to be trimmed. A lot of it felt dragged out and lost its punch for me (an example would be when Marsellus gave a speech after being saved by Bruce Willis's character). A lot of the dialogue also feels forced to me and comes off as scripted diaologue attempting to sound improvised....
We mostly agree. This is what I wrote about Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction (1994)

The last time I watched Pulp Fiction was over twenty years ago, at that time like most people I thought it was great. I watched it for the second time, the other day. After twenty years my opinion has changed. When Pulp Fiction first came out it was a unique Indie film. Now for me that uniqueness has worn off.

On the pro side the characters are still rich and lively. I mean these are some colorful people! But the scenes drag, they go on and on past the point of the average attention span. Then there's the interesting conversations about nothing much, I.E. the famous Big Mac speech. At first this seems pretty cool, as the characters are talking like real life people. But after awhile I realized Quentin is just padding the film with random dialogue. And it grows thin. First John Travolta is an expert on an inane subject like hamburgers in Europe. Then
Samuel L. Jackson is an expert on foot massages and launches into his speech. Later this trend continues with Travolta and Uma Thurman at the restaurant both taking turns at their expert speeches.

Perhaps the worst part of the film is Quentin's acting role. Nothing takes you out of the world of Pulp Fiction like seeing Quentin act. It was such a strange juxtaposition of professional actors immersed in their roles (Travolta,Jackson) talking to Quentin in the kitchen scene. If this wasn't bad enough, Tarantino adds a block of dialogue about getting his good linen dirty when he talks to Harvey Keitel. This scene erases any integrity that the film had built up. Not to mention the entirely unnecessary scene in the junk yard with Julie Sweeney who seemed an odd choice for this film.

In short the movie is too long, the scenes are too long, and Quentin's on screen time is a distraction. Once this film might have seem like something interesting. Now it's just another flick.

I looked up Julie Sweeney and found this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110169...&ref_=m_ft_dsk

According to the first review Quentin Tarintino helped with the script but left his name uncredited lol. I wonder if its coincidence

I looked up Julie Sweeney and found this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110169...&ref_=m_ft_dsk

According to the first review Quentin Tarintino helped with the script but left his name uncredited lol. I wonder if its coincidence
Ha, it kind of seemed like Tarintino had a thing for Julie Sweeny, hence her inclusion in Pulp Fiction....poor Julie!

I appreciate it's significance and acknowledge that it is a great movie,but no, I'm not a particularly big fan of PF. I think its overrated by anyone who considers it the best film ever made, which many do.

I much prefer Jackie Brown over PF, but I know that's an unpopular opinion to have.

Everyone, this is your brain on not liking Pulp Fiction.
LOL! That was a joke; hence the three smilies. However, your comment might have been a joke. So, no problem; my bad.

Pretty much what Iro said earlier: the most important thing about that scene is that we don't know if it happened, or if Jackson's character is making it up to goad the general into giving him an excuse to kill him. The fact that the story is so ridiculous and over-the-top is a strong bit of evidence pointing towards the latter.

It's also a really nice way of driving home the film's larger ideas about the distinctions between legality and justice.

And yeah, Pulp Fiction is a tremendous film. No, it didn't invent non-linear storytelling, but I think it helped make it more popular, and it played with it in some interesting ways that few films had before. And it's just really, really well-made.

I think the problem is that it's now old enough to seem less important specifically because it was important and so many films and filmmakers have been influenced by it since. It's the curse of all influential films that they spawn the very imitators which make them seem less important later, to audiences who grow up with those films and their cultural and cinematic ancestors available simultaneously.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
People say that there are films, that came after because of Pulp Fiction, like The Usual Suspects, The Boondock Saints, and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, but those movies are so different that I thought they would have been made, even if Pulp Fiction hadn't have been. Do you think so though?

Marcellus was captured and being raped by a woman
How would that even happen?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
A woman named Zed?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

And yeah, Pulp Fiction is a tremendous film. No, it didn't invent non-linear storytelling, but I think it helped make it more popular, and it played with it in some interesting ways that few films had before. And it's just really, really well-made.

I think the problem is that it's now old enough to seem less important specifically because it was important and so many films and filmmakers have been influenced by it since. It's the curse of all influential films that they spawn the very imitators which make them seem less important later, to audiences who grow up with those films and their cultural and cinematic ancestors available simultaneously.
I dont really go into a film caring about how important it is as much as wanting to at least be engaged. Im not super familiar with the imitators that have been mentioned though i have seen Lock stock and two smokingbarrels and Boondock saints but its been a while.