Best Movies With Female As Lead Character

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm going to keep this short as I'm watching "Julien Donkey Boy" - and I notice most movies, but especially those with mental illness always have the story centered around a man, I guess with the exception of "Prozac Nation", so something like that is interesting because I don't see it in movies as much, and plus I'm NOT a girl, which is why it's interesting, as men are predictable.

I asked someone this question, and she replied with "Gilda" but to me seemed like the story was centered around Glen Ford, and Gilda being the prize, and as a competition between Glen's character and the owner.

I have watched a few that did "My Brilliant Career" and the one about the woman from New Zealand who was misdiagnosed, but becomes a writer, good movie and different for a change as it seems 99% of movies center around men, which is fine, but it's like eating the same kind of pizza over and over, I want to try other pizza

So if you know one, especially with a kind of truth, not cliched, please make suggestions. I actually love to have a queue of a ton of movies as the number gets low. I've been having trouble watching movies the last few weeks, and sometimes it only takes a few good ones, or a great director with a good body of work.

My favorite movie with an actress in the lead, also features my favorite female performance. I'm not sure it's your kind of movie though, Matt.

Orlando's the first one that came to mind, which is a cheat really, as it's a woman playing a man and then a woman.

Oh, and Happy-Go-Lucky.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Just to name a few.
I was honestly iffy about mentioning Poltergeist, with all the debate over who the lead character is, but if you ask me, both Nelson and Williams are, so take that as you will.

Triple yikes. The clip I saw from Boys Don't Cry in WatchMojo's "Top 10 Movies Too Upsetting to Watch Twice" video was really disturbing.

It's all good. If we all liked all the exact same things, no one would be unique or independent and the world would be a hell of a lot less interesting.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I still can't believe Richard Brooks made this. I think he might one of the most underrated directors, but I was a bit disappointed with this movie, but I might watch it again one day. A friend of mine with similar tastes in SF thinks this is a 10, a perfect movie, so who knows.

for Silence of the Lambs and Alien series.

Originally Posted by Steve Freeling
Triple yikes. The clip I saw from Boys Don't Cry in WatchMojo's "Top 10 Movies Too Upsetting to Watch Twice" video was really disturbing.
It's unpleasant, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse.

Matt, I was glad when I saw someone writing about women in films, but I wasn’t sure about some things you wrote. What do you mean by writing that “. . . men are predictable” and were you asking for any movie centered around women or just movies dealing with mental illness. Also you write that “. . . it seems 99% of movies center around men. I’m curious why you or anyone else feels that is the case.

I think so many movies being centered on men and not women means that in general people tend to feel that women’s lives are not as interesting as men’s. Further I don’t feel this is some natural outcome, but instead is the result of what people are explicitly or implicitly taught in our current culture. It’s a feedback mechanism – movies show women to be less interesting than men, which results in people feeling that women are less interesting than men, which results in movies showing women to be less interesting than men.

Also, I was a little surprised, given that I started a topic on women and films, that you would start a second one.

Tom,