Elections!

Tools    

My oh my the GOP is standing tall!

I wonder how the American population can be so distraught with the performance of one GW Bush yet vote more strongly republican than ever.

In my state it wasn't even a contest. My candidate was already 20% ahead of the competition by the time I get there. He didn't need me but I was happy to show up for him at any rate.

So, any left wingers with any explanations?

I don't mean to be incendiary here, I'm just really curious about why those oh so unhappy left wingers didn't show to vote.

Originally posted by Toose
I wonder how the American population can be so distraught with the performance of one GW Bush yet vote more strongly republican than ever.
Simple: the American population is NOT do distraught with Dubya's performance. The news media types and commentators are...and even then it's rather divided.

Anyway, this says a hell of a lot about what America wants. It's considered typical for the party in the Oval Office to lose votes in these elections...so to GAIN seats, AND control of Congress (on both levels), well...it's a big friggin' deal. Congrats to all the winners.

I can't wait to see what develops of the next two years...or six, for that matter, as it'd be damned hard for Dubya to screw up badly enough to lose a bid for re-election. This is the Golden Age, my friends.

It's scary as hell, if you ask me! Dubya just become one of the most powerful people in the history of the world. We need a horrified smiley.

Originally posted by OptimalDelusion
It's scary as hell, if you ask me! Dubya just become one of the most powerful people in the history of the world. We need a horrified smiley.
I'm asking for trouble with this question, but what the hell: why so scared? Please, please, please don't tell me you're part of the "Dubya's gonna blow up the earth!" crowd.

Two main reasons #1 He's a dummy! That's good enough right there. #2 His social agendas scare me silly! He really does seem to hate the separation of church and state, for one thing.

#1 He's a dummy! That's good enough right there.
And you base this on...? A bunch of bumbling year-old quotes? I'll take substance over style any day. I don't care if he trips over a word now and then if he gets the job done.

Hey, if it's fair to judge Dubya's worth as a President based on his ability to articulate himself (which, if you'll notice, has been EXCELLENT over the last year or so), then it's sure as hell fair to judge Clinton's worth in the Executive Mansion based on what he does with his "Slick Willy."

He really does seem to hate the separation of church and state, for one thing.
Care to elaborate? I don't think I've seen whatever it is that brought you to this conclusion.

Originally posted by Yoda

And you base this on...? A bunch of bumbling year-old quotes? I'll take substance over style any day. I don't care if he trips over a word now and then if he gets the job done.

Hey, if it's fair to judge Dubya's worth as a President based on his ability to articulate himself (which, if you'll notice, has been EXCELLENT over the last year or so), then it's sure as hell fair to judge Clinton's worth in the Executive Mansion based on what he does with his "Slick Willy."
I personally think his inability to speak impromptu reflects his ability to think, which is much more important than where he puts his penis! And I don't think he has gotten that much better. He uses certain phrases over and over wheverever he goes so that he can avoid the kind of ridiculous blunders he's had in the past. But when he tries to think of original ideas, he still screws up.

Care to elaborate? I don't think I've seen whatever it is that brought you to this conclusion.
His faith based initiatives. Among other things, he sends huge amounts of federal funds directly to churches and other faith-based organizations. I believe that no governmental, faith-based programs should ever exist, and Dumbya has the exact opposite view. If you like him, that's great, but he scares the hell outa me!

I was just reading AOL members comments on GOP winning... I am truly disgusted by how ignorant they all are, to each other and with what they're saying. God, stop the monstrosity!!!

What are they saying? I think this is a sad, sad day for America. I was thinking the exact same thing last night when I saw the results Toose! My first instinct was to think it was all fixed somehow. I wouldn't put it past the evil repukelicans. In fact it upset me so much I don't think I slept last night! I even said prayers and asked God how He could let such a thing happen.

Anyhoo, this is what I learned about America yesterday. I was going to post it til I saw this thread so I'll post it here. Sorry if it's slightly off topic.

All the last few weeks I kept seeing ads on tv, you probably did too, about how so & so did this and so & so did that. The ol' smear campaign. Well it made me realize something. Both my local candidates are scum. Rep & Dem, I didn't want to vote for either one, but one did have to win. That means a lowlife was guaranteed to be in office. It always amazes me how creeps can get elected. Don't people know how to vote? But that's how it happens. When both candidates are creeps one has to get in.

Back on topic, wondering who the f*** voted for all those Republicans last night and why was Jeb Bush elected in Florida I realized I hate Florida and came up with a solution to all our recent problems. Just as there is a minimun voting age because kids don't have the smarts to make such an important decision, there should also be a maximun voting age. Cuz let's face facts, old people start losing their wits after a certain age. That's the whole reason telemarketers and con men prey on them. If they don't have the smarts they shouldn't vote either. That's the criteria for kids so why should it be different for old people

I personally don't think it will be as easy for Bush as most people seem to think. Sure, the Republicans have more power now, but the system keeps radical stuff at bay pretty well, even in this kind of situation.

A novel adaptation.
Voting age thing:

I'm not sure about that maximum voting age, I'd certainly prwefer a basic intelligence test for voters to run through.
And the government should encourage people not to vote, I figure that as soon as we can get rid of all these "rock the Vote", or "Dumb MtV 18 year olds vote like sheep" programs we'll start getting some real decisions made. Once the only people voting are those that feel compelled to express their political opinions, this country will be much better offf.

My first instinct was to think it was all fixed somehow. I wouldn't put it past the evil repukelicans.
Holy Crap man, what are you on? "Evil"?

Therein lies one of the primary differences between the two sides: Republicans see Democrats as misguided or mistaken...Democrats more often see Republicans as evil. That's seriously messed up, Frogman. Apparently it's not enough that you question someone's policies...you have to question their intentions, too?

And I don't think I need to point out that this "think it was all fixed somehow" stuff is just reeking of sour grapes.

That means a lowlife was guaranteed to be in office.
People who run negative ads are inherently "lowlifes"?

Optimal

I personally think his inability to speak impromptu reflects his ability to think, which is much more important than where he puts his penis! And I don't think he has gotten that much better. He uses certain phrases over and over wheverever he goes so that he can avoid the kind of ridiculous blunders he's had in the past. But when he tries to think of original ideas, he still screws up.
That last part is simply not true. When you see him handling questions on the fly, he does just fine. I don't think it IS important (you've never known an intelligent person who wasn't much of a public speaker? I find that hard to believe)...but even if it was, we'd still have to assume that your assertions that he's totally inept are true.

Personally, I don't buy either of them. His performance speaks for itself (and it speaks loudly and clearly to anyone who goes looking for, I might add). That's all that matters.

His faith based initiatives. Among other things, he sends huge amounts of federal funds directly to churches and other faith-based organizations. I believe that no governmental, faith-based programs should ever exist, and Dumbya has the exact opposite view. If you like him, that's great, but he scares the hell outa me!
Governmental programs are about getting the job done. If the place that can get the job done happens to be a Church, so be it. All Presidents fund organizations like this; it's not a violation of the seperation of church and state (a phrase which, by the way, is NOT part of our Constitution). Not by a long shot.

Originally posted by firegod
I personally don't think it will be as easy for Bush as most people seem to think. Sure, the Republicans have more power now, but the system keeps radical stuff at bay pretty well, even in this kind of situation.
Very true. Our system is designed so that no one can rampage through with all their policies. Which is why all this "sky is falling" stuff is utter nonsense. You wouldn't believe the stuff people are saying (Frogman, I'm lookin' in your direction. ). If you were to listen to them, you'd conclude that the end of the World was night.

Both parties have had total control at some point in the past, and you know what? We're still here. So take a chill pill.

As for maximum voting age: totally impractical, and not exactly consistent with freedom. A simple test to make sure people understand the ballots is all we need.

A simple test to make sure people understand the ballots is all we need.
Because the Lord knows they're not understanding them at present...

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Because the Lord knows they're not understanding them at present...
Ah, but they are. People all over the country have spoken loud and clear. You may think they're idiots, but seeing as how Republicans now control all three major branches of government, there's no mistaking what they want.

So nyah.

Are you kidding? The Demos might as well go home. Nothing they put out will be passed and everything the Reps put out will. Not only that Bushlite is the worst president in the history of America. He flip flops all over the issues cuz he opens his mouth before he thinks. Later when the situation is explained to him he changes things back. Lots of the things he does either end up being horribly bad or following exactly what Clinton was doing. Not to mention trying to kill Saddam just to please his daddy. Wtf was that?? I haven't seen him do one competent thing.

I'm not sure about that maximum voting age, I'd certainly prwefer a basic intelligence test for voters to run through.
I thought of that. Kind of a nationwide I.Q. test and anyone who fails can't vote. I thought that would be harder to do and be more controversial. I'm thinking the maximum age should be 70. Anythng lower would be hard to get votes for. How do you test to make sure people understand the ballots when it comes to voting for canidates? Like, do you know who Mr M is? Do you know who Mr Y is? It wouldn't work. It would only work for the propositions.

People who run negative ads are inherently "lowlifes"?
No, the people IN the ads. Like this person voted to let child molesters free and this other person wants to steal money from schools and stuff like that. After seeing all those ads it was clear neither one of them was someone who should be in office. When both of the candidates have no morals etc etc.. one of them ends up being elected anyway and that's why there are so many creeps in Congress and the Senate.

If you were to listen to them, you'd conclude that the end of the World was nigh
Bushlite is already trying really hard to destroy America and everything it stands for, what do you think will happen when he does? When America rules the world and bombs anyone who doesn't fall in line, what'll be the difference between him and all the evil leaders in history that have tried the same thing?

Frogman, if you can't back up any of what you say (the rhetoric content of your posts is way above normal, bud), or go more than a post without implying that Bush is actually setting out to destory the human race, I simply can't have this discussion with you.

Your comments on Dems "going home" sound like they're coming from someone who has no idea what they're saying. I'm not historian, but I know enough to know that the Democrats and Republicans have both been in total power before, and we've lived through it.

Your whacked-out, extrememist viewpoints are so ridiculous that they serve as their own counter-arguments. I'm not exaggerating, either. This is conspiracy-theory territory you're treading on. It's just Chicken Little stuff, man, and it's getting damn tiresome.

Originally posted by firegod
That's true...

Most things fall somewhere in the middle despite individual passions. Checks and balances was really a brilliant concept.

As for Bush being a dummy, I don't agree.

Also... why is everyone trying to pin the woes of the world on Bush? It's not as if he had a clean (and I mean that in many different ways) office to step into. The above references to checks and balances are very valid today. Bush doesn't have a remote control that he controls the world with. He gets counsel and approval for every step he makes (from both sides). He's become the scapegoat for people who are angry that the Dems didn't win the election (and are still not winning).

I don't like Bill Clinton. Not because he is a Dem. I do not like him for taking the highest office in the world and making a mockery of it. I don't like him because he's a liar. I don't care who slobbed his knob and when but I do care that he used no discretion and then lied about it undr oath. His doorway out was decietful and it insulted the intelligence of the American people. The example it set was that one can commit a high crime (perjury) and get away with it on a technicality.

I DO like Al Gore. I don't agree with his politics but he is a solid man.

I encourage everyone to read the post above this one at least once...I agree 110%. I think Clinton is a good politican (at least economically). I think Al Gore is a good man. And yes, I think both matter.

Well Yod, you know even if I saved all the newspaper clippings and video taped all the news stories and linked you to all the websites it still wouldn't be enough proof for you. I CAN back up everything I say but I'm not gonna spend my life collecting clippings and stuff.

Obviously Bushlite isn't the anti-christ. That's just something I like saying, sorry if you take it litterally. I'm not a religous fanatic, I just like calling him the anti-christ. Evil may not be a good word either because it implies malicious intent. He's just stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. I won't say that anymore cuz I see it freaks you out.

What is it that you don't understand about my post? Cuz everything I said was pretty clear. The Reps come up with a plan then they pass it. They have all the power. You say it's happened before. Tell me when, and while your at it look up what all they passed. Was the majority of the stuff what the ruling party wanted? I don't know the answer but I'd bet it was. I can't believe anyone is naive enough to believe that isn't going to happen.

The thing about the maximum voting age, I'm serious about that. that sounds like one of my wacky ideas but I truely think it's a good idea. If you're senile you shouldn't vote. It's kind of insulting but it isn't taking anyone's freedom away. Is it taking your freedom away that you can't vote yet? I don't know if mental patients, like really crazy ones are allowed to vote but if they can't what would be the difference? Diminished mental capacity is just that.

And I have a question, what is it that you all are so happy about? What has Bushlite done that made you love him? Because he attacked Osama? Any president would have done that. Please name your reasons. I'm completely baffled.