Best Surprise Beginnings

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
WARNING SPOILERS BELOW

I got the idea for this from the Best Surprise Endings thread.

I was just thinking about movies where something happened in the beginning and you just completely did not see it coming. I can only think of 2 for right now, but I think they will be good examples of what I mean.

The Bourne Supremacy - When Marie was shot at the beginning of the movie. I know it was a sequel but I think it still counts. I had not read the books, and still haven't so it was very unexpected for me.

Scream - Drew Barrymore dying at the beginning, I only went and saw the movie because she was in it and did not expect her to be killed off in the beginning of the movie.

These are obviously not the best because someone died in each, but they were are all I can think of at the moment.

Welcome to the human race...
Just a few that come to mind...

Inglourious Basterds
Narc
GoodFellas
Children of Men
Pulp Fiction
No Country for Old Men

Welcome to the human race...
But wouldn't that spoil the surprise?

Oh, alright. Spoilers ahoy.

WARNING: "Inglourious Basterds" spoilers below
The family was under the table and Landa knew it the whole time.

WARNING: "Narc" spoilers below
Intense foot chase between cop and crook that ends with the cop shooting the crook and a bystander.

WARNING: "GoodFellas" spoilers below
The body in the back of the car was alive.

WARNING: "Pulp Fiction" spoilers below
The bickering couple start a robbery.

WARNING: "Children of Men" spoilers below
Terrorist attack the shop out of nowhere.

WARNING: "No Country for Old Men" spoilers below
Chigurh's escape from the police and his subsequent acquisition of a getaway car - less because it was a twist and because his methods were so...unorthodox.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Put the words "SPOILER ALERT" on this thread so people can be more specific, I guess.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Tried to put spoilers around it but for some reason wouldn't work

Phar Lap died in the very beginning, it is the only movie I was in the first 5 mins

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find it with the opening credits/musical buildup and the picture could be better, but the beginning of Close Encounters...

RRRrrrr!!!

SPOILERS:

"May 9th,1969. The 101st infantry division of the American army heads towards hill 937, 2 kilometers from the northern border with Laos. The dozens of new recruits not yet battle tested were to have accomplished this routine mission in less than 2 hours. For them it was simply reconnaissance mission. For the Vietcong, hill 937 was of strategic importance. They heroically resisted the Vietcong for 9 days. .... This film doesn't tell that story."

And then began a really silly live action comedy ą la Flintstones. I was so dumbfounded (and impressed!) I ended up watching the entire film.

The rest of the movie is such trash that the power of the start was probably an accident, but The Last Boy Scout had one hell of a cool shock beginning.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.

The opening to my favourite film Serenity was a surprise. [Warning, spoilers] River at school was in fact a dream, the epic rescue was then a hologram recording and then, just when you think it's over the Operative pulls out a samarai sword and kills everyone in the room expect for 'Young Miss'. We then get a very peaceful shot of the ship Serenity. An opening within an opening.

It was a surprising beginning.

The rest of the movie is such trash that the power of the start was probably an accident, but The Last Boy Scout had one hell of a cool shock beginning.
WOAH WOAH! TLBS is epic!!! How dare you