GoodBye from PLite!!

Tools    

Thank you Frogman...I think you've made a good decision all around, even if it does mean less time on this site. As for what Spud said: I think he means that, yes, they may know a lot about film, but they might as well know nothing if they're not interested in talking about it. That's just my guess...he might have meant different.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by sunfrog

It makes me really sad to see that MoFo isn't getting the hits is was last week. I really love this site and I don't want it to die out. But I am also going to follow PLite wherever he goes until Pigsnie puts a restraining order on me. [/b]
Plite leaving isn't going to be the downfall of this site.That would be pretty egotistical to think that one member leaving would bring about the "dying out"of a site.I was going to leave because of frustrations...but I'm staying to support this movie forum...it's the only one worth my efforts.

Sade half the people left. There's like seven of us or something, I don't know the exact number. And I just read that Kyra and her friends were leaving too. This is a disaster. I've been here since early on when there was only a handful of posters. I originally stayed on because of TWT btw. And I've seen this place grow, it was at the height of it's coolness before the fight. We had serious movie people who know their stuff and great times in the Intermission section. If it could have stayed that way it would have been perfect. I loved it just the way it was. I'm trying to mend things here. I don't want TW to have to start all over again. And I don't want everybody to abandon this site. You're talking about being in the middle of an argument and I'm talking about being in the middle of two friends. Sheese Louise, I wanted to support P, but I didn't want to start a mass exodus. Please don't abondon this site everybody! I will post my funny weird stuff over there and my serious stuff here. That's my plan. I hope everybody does the same. :bawl:

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by sunfrog

Please don't abondon this site everybody! I will post my funny weird stuff over there and my serious stuff here. That's my plan. I hope everybody does the same. :bawl:
I'm staying.No matter what.I don't even care if people don't like me anymore.I'm freakin' staying!!!!

Again: it's not that you can't have fun and be goofy here. I just want it to be primarily a movie site. Really...that's all I'm going for! And no, I would not call it a disaster. Kielle and her friends were nice, but they posted rarely, and usually only to chit-chat. I would not call this a disaster at all.

Anyway, I'll win you all over with the new site. I have completely poured myself into it...so I think you'll all enjoy it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Information about Directors, Movies, Songs, this all can be accessed with little strain of the fingers. I'm not saying PLite doesn't know anything, I'm only saying that when one doesn't know they can search for it. Holden is a good example of this, although full of information uses IMDb to help him out. So what, just because someone is posting information about something doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

Sun, I am shocked and dismayed that you would side over someone that CHOSE to leave rather than the creator of a place that you visit frequently. Put it this way. God created the Earth for you to live on and enjoy. Along comes this "temptor" if you will and says this is wrong, there's a better place for you out there. I don't know where I'm going with this, and I'm not calling anyone here a temptor just using it as a reference.

This is gonna be my last post in this thread because no matter how many of us try to talk you guys out of leaving or trying to convince you that what you think happened really didn't happen you don't want to listen. So I'm getting back to talking about movies. I hope the rest of you do the same.

God speed
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
me too.

Originally posted by spdrcr
Holden is a good example of this, although full of information uses IMDb to help him out
I do this, too. While I have a good memory for many things, there's just too much information for any one person to know.

Actually, I wish we could talk about the God thing. I have some pretty strange ideas. I often think I should start my own religon. It's not that I don't believe in Him or believe He's wrong like so many people do today, it's just that when I apply my logic to it I get different results than most people. Strange. Hmm.. now I forgot why I started typing.

Oh yeah! Now I remember! Thanks Ryan!
I'm saying PLite knows movies and has the right to be here as much as anyone. It's not like he just wandered in off the street and started being funny. He knows movies AND he's funny.

Btw, TW didn't make this site for me. If you did, thanks TW. It was here before I got here. We disagree all the time. He's (bleh)Republican. I don't have to like Pres Bush just 'cause T's the webmaster. I just have to respect TW's wishes about the website, which I'm trying to do.
[Edited by sunfrog on 10-05-2001]

Female assassin extraordinaire.
a long time ago, did we not agree that people should have SOME freedom to speak within this site? as members, that is our right. so I am quite confused when i you tell me, sunfrog:

"Okay Thmilin, you need to stop talking, you're only making things worse for yourself."

"Thimlin, the only one that understood your intentions when you said the Intermission thread and anyone who posts there is full of crap is you."

I DIDN'T SAY THAT!!!!!

I'm sorry, but when someone attacks my character based on things I DID NOT say OR do, I am bound to both defend myself and EXPLAIN myself. I am reading every post each and everyone one of YOU writes on this issue because I want to be exactly sure of what you mean, that I've got it right, that you have your piece because that is what forums are for. If you choose to ignore what I say before I finish, to misquote me and then attack me based on those misconceptions, I can only shrug and try again, and I cannot promise I won't be irritated. You guys seem to have some idea that

1. I hate PLite
2. I hate Original P

etc, etc

Despite all I've said, much like TWT, I keep saying X and everyone keeps discrediting, insulting, ignoring, insisting that I have said "Y"!! And it's very disheartening. So many of my posts straight out SAY that I like PLite!! So why did you and Plite and everyone else go and read what I say and then turn it into THAT evil sh|t when that's not even what I SAID! that's why i had to go and explain things and you STILL have it wrong.

THIS is what I said:

"it is true that a lot of crap has filled this forum. then again, that crap has allowed a lot of us to reveal sides to our personalities that i don't think would otherwise have been revealed, allowing friendships to flourish that might otherwise have not. then again, it's revealed some aspects that aren't so enjoyable - a lot of immaturity and drivel. drivel, as said before, has its place. so long as that place is reserved, and we as a group make a conscious effort to get - and keep - things on track, i think mofo - now or in its reincarnation - will only be an improvement, not a failure. "

it became: "you are all crap, speak crap, and the misc thread is a bunch of crap"

basically, you didn't pay any attention to what i said because you got something else entirely.

those i respected turned around and said "You are all so awful and have made it clear you don't appreciate PLite at all" when that was NOT the case. that completely blew ME and it comes from people I respected. TWT gets that just because someone you like and care about does something you dislike, that does not mean you dislike THEM. But I guess that's what and PLite think. so i bet if you do talk about me at all over there i'm just some godawful b|tch, am I right? and none of the good stuff I've ever said matters anymore, is that what you're saying? enlighten me here, cuz if so, I don't think I deserve that.

And I did not deserve what OriginalP said. I respect and understand where it came from - my other posts most certainly show it - but he was mistaken and acted off ideas he reached after TWISTING what I said. Therefore, HE DESERVED my rebuttal. I wasn't even angry when i wrote it. I still stand by it. If that's what offends you because it was not supportive of someone you like, then say that, rather than:

"Thmilin and Spdrcr, your posts are too petty to even dignify with an answer. I am very fond of this site. Please stop. You are only serving to polarize this community even further with your antics.

There are many ways to support TWT. This isn't one of them. You are just exacerbating the situation. "

El Cootie, you have a right to your opinions and NO ONE HERE WOULD EVER discredit what you have to say or the thought behind them as you have with others here. I respect your right to speak and your words, even though i don't agree with them. And I am hurt that you do not treat other's responses with the same respect. Respect begets respect and a lack of it engenders more.

Sunfrog, I am not fighting for the hell of it. The only thing I wanted to say when this all began was that I saw TWT's point, disliked PLite's behavior, and supported TWT. Then I got attacked for "disliking PLite" and supposedly being two-faced when none of that is true. I am not fighting. I am defending myself. I most certainly did not want to lose P's affection.

I'm not even in complete agreement with spdrcr or everyone else here but that doesn't mean what you all have to say is a bunch of crock. I have NEVER said that what you say doesn't matter, even all the silliness in intermission. There is a logic to everyone's reason no matter how much we may disagree.

I perfectly understand and am touched by how thrilled the people at the home are. I am glad that we have touched their lives and glad that PLite touched so many. I am glad that they have seen some joy from such a strange, charming creature. I never said he wasn't. PLite is a wonderful, funny, brilliant person, just as you all have said, and I never said otherwise. Why else would I flirt with him or give him ownership of my melons?

As for TWT's vision ... I think it's selfish of others to wish that he make it into something else that pleases them at the cost of the original idea.

"How can I make you understand how much more important that is! "

I understand how much you enjoy the banter, and like TWT said - LESS, not NONE. You are all mad because PLite LEFT and it's not like TWT wanted him to go to make NONE. TWT is not and cannot go chasing after PLite to have him come back and reign over the site in order to please all those who joined for the wrong reason in the first place. ANd he, as all of us, can only say a sad farewell to those we got to know who are leaving because they realize it was never movies they really cared that much about here in the first place. Of course I'd rather everyone stayed and an equilibrium could be met ... have PLite stay and all of you enjoy your net entertainment while TWT's vision continues on strong. But it doesn't look like it's going to be that way.

None of you that seem to find me so disgusting seems to have read the post I wrote in Sades' goodbye thread. The whole point about this place is community. That means, if PLite's posts count to you, then so should EVERYONE ELSE's. It's only fair. We are all entitled to our opinions.

People will come and go. But what matters most is the vision - and that is TWT's to do with as he pleases. I will not hate him for choosing to do what he wishes with something that is his in the first place. I do not hate PLite and wish he would stay. But between 24 hr banter and pursuing the movie dream I chose to join in the first place ... the latter wins.

anyway ... what the hell is the URL for PLite and if I go, will you all tell me how awful I am there, too? seems like it, since you say, sunfrog, he'll use caps on me. i want to go, i'm just wary of how i'm going to get treated, since I've been misread so much already. but like TWT, i'm sticking true to my beliefs. otherwise there's no point to my having become a member, or ever having spent any time getting to know and like all of you in the first place. that includes all of you who hate my guts.

Hi Thmilin,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I just now read your post. I believe you, I think it was all an unfortunate misunderstanding. But at the time what we THOUGHT you said really hurt us. It hurt PLite more than me. He hasn't called you any names, he's to classy for that. PLite hasn't called anyone names. What he said in caps was, I can't believe Thmilin said that, I hate girls I'm never going to get married. Stuff like that. You can see the pain in his words. He uses caps to infer he's yelling. He usually only uses caps for emphasis, like when he says SERIOUSLY!

Below I did a little disection of the misunderstaning. The stuff in blue is the bad stuff, the stuff in bold is my comments. I'm not yelling, I'm just setting off the text so it won't blend with the surrounding words.

If you would have used the words "non movie related discussions" instead of the word crap we would have gotten your point and not been insulted. I get your point now. I'm not trying to prove you said something you didn't, I'm just showing you why I was offended.

Originally posted by thmilin
THIS is what I said:

[blue]"it is true that a lot of crap has filled this forum.[/blue] That would be me & PLite and everyone who was a regular in Intermission. [blue] then again, that crap has allowed a lot of us to reveal sides to our personalities that i don't think would otherwise have been revealed,[/blue] This is a normal sentence but the word crap still has negative connotations. allowing friendships to flourish that might otherwise have not. then again, [blue]it's revealed some aspects that aren't so enjoyable - a lot of immaturity and drivel.[/blue] How can immaturity and drivel not be an insult? drivel, as said before, has its place. so long as that place is reserved, and we as a group make a conscious effort to get - and keep - things on track, i think mofo - now or in its reincarnation - will only be an improvement, not a failure. "
When I said you should stop talking I wasn't trying to say "you're just throwing more fuel on the fire" I was trying to say "you should quit while you're ahead" but I find that phrase slightly rude. It sounds like an ultimatum to me and I chose not to use those words on purpose. What I was trying to say was more along the lines of, thank you for clearing that up, i was really hurt, please don't say any more because it might be misconscrewed. This is good like it is, I understand now it was all a misunderstanding.

PS, PLite still lurks here Thim, we all do. If you say something to him he'll read it. He'd like to talk to you El Cootie, I hope you're still out there. You're tops on his list, maybe even above Jude Law! Mine too

Hate to drop in again, but I thought you'd like to all see what a TRULY strict forum is like:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

No polls, except in the polls forum, and a feedback forum that doesn't allow for any venting/complaints, it seems. It gets worse, though...checkout these two quotes, from their Registration page:

The Home Theater Forum requires that all members that sign up to post a message or reply to a message sign up with a real first name. The following page goes over those guidelines.
After reading our guidelines and our notification procedure for giving out a password to use with your username do not email the administration of this board asking us for your password. If you have not received a password with your username within 24 hours of signing up it is because it has not been accepted and no reason will be sent out to you as to why it wasn't accepted. Period.
From the page after that:

You may not sign up as:
- SCOTT or SCOTTRANDALL (we do not permit all capital letters)
- Scott386 (we do not permit numbers in usernames)
- scottrandall (we do not allow all lower case run on usernames)
- scottr or Scottr (we do not allow run ons in a username)
- Randall (we do not allow last names only)
We do not allow nicknames such as:
- HomeTheaterFanatic
- DVDScott
- MetsFan
See what a real tight-a** forum is like? I'm pretty loose compared to some. I'm a regular at a forum that no longer allows registration for people under 16 (they may have changed this since, but I hadn't heard so specifically)...they also used to require a minimum age of 18 to Moderate...

HEY you Spud, I dont know why I called you my Bud becuz you arent. And I haf never looked at at that imdb thingie you keep talkin about -- all I know about movies I keep in my head. And while I may not talk a lot about the movies you guys like, like Pulp fiction or fight Club, I know all the old stuff, Mel Ferrer & Bette Davis & Ralph Richardson & kenzo Mizoguchi & jean Marais. And dont tell me I was the only one postin 'Drivel". The last time i remember, you were pretty good at it yourself.

The evile Temptor
PLite

Ps. OH hi, TWT! You didnt mention my sonnet.

Dunno what to say about your sonnet exactly, PLite. And don't start a fight, please. I don't think he said you were stupid...I think the point is that it doesn't matter if you know all about it, if you never put it to "use" (IE: if you post about nosies instead. ). Anyway, I hope this doesn't blow up all over again now.

Im not startin a fight, I just showed up to refute some of the stuff that pisses me off. Same as you when you show up at the other place, hahaha. Anyhoo why should I even mention Jean Marais on this forum when hardly anyones even seen an old French film? Have you? Has anyone? You see my point? How can I use my movie knowhow in a forum where hardly anyone has seen the films I like?

PLite

Maybe you can't...though I imagine you could find a person or two to discuss it with if you wanted to. If you want to know if I agree with you on concerning the notion that you simply don't fit well with this forum's focus and members, though, then yeah, I'd probably agree...which is a real shame. I'm not saying that you were necessarily starting a fight...just reminding you all.

Hey, what'd ya think of those forum rules I posted? Now you know what a real tigh-a** forum is like.

See, how can he not fit? He just demonstrated some of his advanced movie skills right there. Hey P, I bet El Cootie and his friends would talk to you about Betty Davis! That would be kind of cool to see actually. We already talk about all kinds of genres, including cartoons! We have cutting edge, foreign, indy, popular, anime, asian cimema, etc... why shouldn't there be classics too?

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Im not startin a fight, I just showed up to refute some of the stuff that pisses me off. Same as you when you show up at the other place, hahaha. Anyhoo why should I even mention Jean Marais on this forum when hardly anyones even seen an old French film? Have you? Has anyone? You see my point? How can I use my movie knowhow in a forum where hardly anyone has seen the films I like?

PLite
I like Jean Marias in Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast.

PLite, you're missed. I hope one day you'll come back and we can talk old french movies all you want.

Well, like I said above, I think it's quite possible...but he wants to do more squittling than anything else...and, INEVITABLY, it spills out onto the other forums. But, in all honesty, I'm not going to kick PLite out...ever...unless he starts acting like Zwee. It is not against MoFo's RULES to only post in the Intermission forum...it's just against a request I made that I hope the members will honor.

If PLite wanted to squittle in the Intermission Forum, kept it seperate from the real movie talk, and talked about some classics on the side, he'd be welcome. Would he be the kind of member I am targetting, and hope to find more of? No, he would not...but he would not be shunned, or insulted for it. He would not be asked to leave as a result of that, and I would not criticize him for it. I would simply hope that he would change his leanings more towards movie talk, but it would take something pretty extreme for me to actually make him...I don't think that'll ever happen.

So yeah, he could be here and fit in...but it might be against his personality. I'm not completely sure, to be honest. It's up to him...but either way, I plan to move forward with my work on this site. If he spends some time here, cool, if not, well, that's okay too. Life is too short to fuss over these things.

How do they know someone's first name isn't Randall?