Gweat Moments in Bwitish Films!

Tools    

A favorite line from "A Clockwork Orange":

"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

Which comes from one of the most disturbing sequences of the film, in which Alex is being deprogrammed.

You get me slapped with a fine, you argue with the customers and I have to patch everything up, you get us thrown out of a funeral by violating the corpse, and then to top it off, you ruin my relationship. I mean, what's your encore? Do you, like, anally rape my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank?

A dozen of what I think of as the best of the best...

The Third Man (1949 - Carol Reed)
After being the subject of discussion for the entire movie and presumed dead by the authorities, Harry Lime (Orson Welles) makes one of the greatest entrances in film history: accidentally and momentarily illumintaed on the pitch-black street by a grumpy woman turning on her light above, Lime smiles then disappears back into the night before Holly Martins (Joseph Cotten) can catch him.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962 - David Lean)
One of the best scene bumps in film history, T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) smiles and blows out the match before a quick seemless cut to our first glimpse of the desert vista, silhouetted at a brilliant creeping orange sunrise.

Withnail & I (1987 - Bruce Robinson)
Bored, paranoid, strung-out and hungry, Withnail and Peter go fishing at the creek...with a shotgun.

Get Carter (1971 - Mike Hodges)
In the last moments of the film, after Jack Carter (Michael Caine) has finally wreaked all his vengance and triumphantly watched the last sorry bastard get dumped into the sea, an unseen gunman shockingly 'gets' Carter.

The Long Good Friday (1980 - John Mackenzie)
In a moment of total rage and frustration, Harold (Bob Hoskins) lets slip some bloody havoc on trusted Jeff (Derek Thompson) with a broken bottle.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988 - Charles Crichton)
Otto (Kevin Kline) tortures the helpless k-k-k-Ken (Michael Palin) for the location of the loot by systematically eating his live pet fish in front of him, all with ketchup-covered chips shoved up Ken's nose and a gag in his mouth.

Peeping Tom (1960 - Michael Powell)
Mark Lewis (Karlheinz Bohm) finally shows the curious Helen (Anna Massey) some of his father's experiments on film, and reveals to the audience the twist to his killings: a mirror so the subjects can watch their own horror as the blade plunges into their neck!

Far From the Madding Crowd (1967 - John Schlesinger)
Sergeant Troy (Terence Stamp) shows off for and seduces Bathsheba (Julie Christie) with a sample of his sword-weilding skill in full dress reds on a bright hillside.

Truly, Madly, Deeply (1991 - Anthony Minghella)
In a moment of pure joy, the returned Jamie (Alan Rickman) and Nina (Juliet Stevenson) share an impromptu duet in piano, cello and voice. "Sun ain't gonna shine anymore..."

A Hard Day's Night (1964 - Dick Lester)
George (Harrison, 'natch!) is pulled into an ad agency's office for his average opinion on the new "gear" fashion line for young people.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life (1983 - Terry Jones)
An unsuspecting Mr. Brown (Terry Gilliam) is greeted at the door by two technicians (Graham Chapman & John Cleese) who teach him all about the live organ donor program.

Trainspotting (1996 - Danny Boyle)
Renton (Ewan McGregor) takes a nightmare swim in the filthiest toilet in all of Ireland.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The steamroller scene is the best scene in Wanda, one of the funniest ever.