What Historical Figure do you think has been most Accurately portrayed in the Movies?

Tools    

Radioactive Spider Blood
Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft.

What, Lara Croft isn't a historical figure? Oh...

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Even I know about the Presidents, and I suck at history. The whole office of President is very interesting to me. I will also say that I commend PLite for knowing as much as he seems to about American history...though I could be overestimating him.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well I had a memory lapse there for a sec, and forgot. I thought it was Roosevelt, but forgot which one. Had a long weekend so American History is not my strong suit at the moment. Plus, I've been out of school for a little while so I don't know history off the top of my head right now.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

And Britains WW2 president was Churchill! His wife was prettier & named my darling Clementine. They had a son Randolf Churchill who was a drunk. Winston Churchills dad died of sypilis but everyone said it was the flu.

And the other roosevelt president was named Theodore, he rode up a hill!

San Juan Hill, in fact. And correct on Churchill -- read a book on him, actually. Very cool guy. I forget the name of his home...Chestersomething, I think. I remember Teddy's, though: Sagamore Hill! It's kind of funny, because they both had a sort of farm-like home that they used to relax, and that both were incredibly fond of. Seems a lot of great modern-day leaders have a place of refuge...maybe it's the hallmark of leadership.
[Edited by TWTCommish on 09-24-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
I think Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had very accurate dipictions of historical figures.i.e.Freud,Napoleon,Joan of Arc,Mr.the Kid,So-Crates...very educational.

Nigel Hawthorne in the madness of King George. I don't know if it was accurate but I loved this movie!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by sadesdrk
I think Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had very accurate dipictions of historical figures.i.e.Freud,Napoleon,Joan of Arc,Mr.the Kid,So-Crates...very educational.
LOL...I can't believe someone actually mentioned that, but yes you are correct Sades...very educational indeed. Don't forget good ole Abe.

Churchill house was named Checkers & he would go around the house nekkid & shock the housemaids.

YEAH Sun, Mad king Nigel was great! Mr King & Mrs Queen!

Mrs Queen, can you pass the salt?
Yes, thank you Mr King.

Ps. Funniest Napoleon was Ian holm in Time Bandits. Napoleons dried up willy was removed from his dead body by his doctor & passed down thru the generations. Someone said it looks like a shriveld banana.

Haven't seen anyone mention George C. Scott as Patton. Talk about a movie and a performance!

I also have to give a nod to Ed Harris as Jackson Pollock.

Judi Dench in Mrs Brown!

OH yeah, Chartwell! I mustve confused his house whit his dog, hahahaha!!! I haf been to many castles in England, I have been to Castle Howard & Marlboro Palace, which was the home of Churchills ancestor, the guy with the wig the Dook of Marlboro!!

My fiend can't tell you who killed Kennedy cause he'd be in a lot of trouble if he did...

Originally posted by mightymose
Haven't seen anyone mention George C. Scott as Patton. Talk about a movie and a performance!
Yes, good one. I should've thought of that. Overall though I think most of the people here are voting for great performances, rather than great portrayels. I mean, we would each need to have a significant knowledge/familiarity of the historical figure in question to really declare a performance as accurate.

Now With Moveable Parts
Kate Blanchett in Elizabeth...of course as Queen Elizabeth.Best movie about her ever made.

I second Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I, though that movie wasn't quite historically accurate.

Hmmm, other good ones:

Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade in Quills (also not accurate, but what the hell)
Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde (but don't forget Jude Law's amazing turn as Lord Alfred Douglas either)
Daniel Day Lewis as John Proctor in The Crucible (not accurate again! But still great)
Winona Ryder as Abigail Williams in The Crucible (see above)
F. Murray Abraham as Salieri in Amadeus
Tom Hulce as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Speaking of Tom Hulce, whatever happened to him? The only other movie I've seen him in is The Inner Circle (1992), which I think was made in Russia. Aleksandr Zbruyev's Stalin was great. Much better than Robert Duvall's Stalin (from the HBO movie), even though it was a much smaller role. And Bob Hoskins as Beria makes his Kruschkev look like a buffoon (wait, Kruschkev WAS a buffoon). Why does Bob Hoskins always play prominent Communists?

Mozart had a laugh like Tom Hulce? I always wondered about that. And whats with the pink hair, was that in the records?

And yeah I thought Jude was great as Bosie, I wanted to smack him so. BTW I think WILDE shouldve shown the death of Oscar becuz I heard he had an infected eardrum & at the moment of death, his eardrum BURST like a firecrackar & messed up the deathbed!

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
I think WILDE shouldve shown the death of Oscar becuz I heard he had an infected eardrum & at the moment of death, his eardrum BURST like a firecrackar & messed up the deathbed!
LOL. Maybe I should have gone to Harrow when I was a teenager. They teach their students a lot of cool stuff overseas.