Unpredictable Movie Suggestion

Tools    

I have an issue with my girlfriend unravelling the plot and suspense of a film within fifteen minutes of sitting down to watch it. She's very good at it and cannot sit though a film without divulging a thought on the conclusion.

I've taken a challenge to find the most unpredictable yet interesting film possible. And see how far we can get through it before she figures it out.

Any suggestions?

- Last Year At Marienbad maybe, for a more serious answer
- Any Tarkovsky movie, so she can fall asleep and you can enjoy yourself
- Lost Highway is impossible to predict
- Stephen Fry's audiobook of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Eraserhead. I want to see her try to figure that **** out!
It's just a representation of being uncomfortable with being a new father in an uncomfortable place.

I have an issue with my girlfriend unravelling the plot and suspense of a film within fifteen minutes of sitting down to watch it. She's very good at it and cannot sit though a film without divulging a thought on the conclusion.

I've taken a challenge to find the most unpredictable yet interesting film possible. And see how far we can get through it before she figures it out.

Any suggestions?
Try make her watch non-English language films. Also, there are plenty of plotless films. My Neighbor Totoro, for instance, doesn't have a plot so she will not be able to unravel it in 15 minutes. Spirited Away is plot heavy and also very different from conventional films so one shouldn't be able to figure out the ending.

The Gunslinger suggested Eraserhead, but that movie doesn't count: it is impossible to understand because it doesn't make sense (Lynch said that each person interpretation of the film should be different).

Anyway, if she is able to unravel the plots of the films you show her in 15 minutes that's because you two are watching only the most conventional films. I think that a great film should be different from other films and so one shouldn't be able to figure out the ending at the beginning.

Not Enough Time
Basic - with John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson
by far biggest unpredictable ending I have ever seen

Criminal - John C Reilly and Maggie Gyllenhaal
also very unpredictable and a fun movie

Cleaner - Samuel L Jackson
surprise ending

Fight Club - if you haven't seen it already, another absolutely "what!?"

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - such a barrels of "what the f***"s you can't possibly know what is going to happen ultimately

Mystic River (keeps you guessing even though you probably know the answer but not the explination)
Burn After Reading
The Ring Two
SLC Punk
The Ex
Ulee's Gold
Conspiracy Theory

Those are one's I know from my collection. The second list is could be or couldn't be ones.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

Well if David Lynch does not count, how about Chinatown? Network? How about Rashomon?
Just because he said Lynch doesn't count means Lynch counts

Usual Suspects had a great twist
1) Not really
2) It's predictable, she'd guess it

This a good thread. I knew a girl like that too.

Twelve Monkeys might keep her guessing till the end.

- Last Year At Marienbad maybe, for a more serious answer
That movie is art, I suppose, it is not supposed to make sense.

- Any Tarkovsky movie, so she can fall asleep and you can enjoy yourself
That depends on the movie. Stalker, Solaris and Ivan's Childhood are fairly straightforward.

- Stephen Fry's audiobook of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
That's a movie?

It's just a representation of being uncomfortable with being a new father in an uncomfortable place.
A very creepy and disturbing one.

Also, you could take her to the theater to see The Place Beyond the Pines. There's quite a few twists in that - and even if she guesses them she might be less likely to talk in the theater.

Also, Planet of the Apes is a good one.

And The Game.

Primal Fear
The Prestige
The Mist

But for the most random ending that no one will ever guess in a million years???

Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive

Your definitions are your own and usually wrong.
Fixed that for you, WT.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Holy Motors by Leos Carax

The Mirror by Andrei Tarkovsky

Mulholland Drive by David Lynch

The Holy Mountain, El Topo and Santa Sangre by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Phantom of Liberty by Luis Buñuel

Close-Up by Abbas Kiarostami

Cáche by Michael Haneke

Werckmeister Harmonies by Bela Tarr

Ordet by Carl Th. Dreyer

to name a few...