If you oppose the war on Iraq, make your voice heard...

Tools    

But you'll notice there are, oh, maybe a DOZEN other deficits on there that do NOT have the excuse of WWII to fall back on.
I'm glad you said that. Those other guys are republicans, Bush 1, Bush 2 and Reagan.

1 - What experts are you referring to?
When? You mean when I say all the experts say Bush's tax plan sucks? There's lots of them, Democrat and Republican. Your friend Brian is the only person I've heard say it doesn't suck.

2 - Why is the deficit bad?
Because it drives up interest rates so people don't buy homes or take out loans to expand their businesses, so jobs don't get created, homes don't get sold, people don't make money blah blah blah companies raise prices since people aren't buying big ticket items or lay people off and on and on...

3 - How can you claim that Dubya is the worst of a group when you don't know who's included in that group?
How can you claim all experts agree that Bush's tax plan is wonderful when you don't know all the experts personally?
J/k I already addressed this. Okay, when I said he was the worst president in history you took it too literally. He's the worst president in my lifetime, in your lifetime, and probably in everyone living today's lifetime. Lol

4 - Seeing as how the Franklin quote you posted referred to essential liberties, and you implied that it was at odds with the Patriot Act, please tell me what essential liberties we've lost.
I'd have to quote the bill of rights to you, maybe I can do it real quick before I take a nap. Hang on. Here read this:

Amendment IV - Search and seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I think that's essential don't you?

I'm glad you said that. Those other guys are republicans, Bush 1, Bush 2 and Reagan.
Hilarious.

Back to business: the chart destroys your claims about the size of the deficit, and also seems to disrupt your entire basis for economic complaint. Comments?

When? You mean when I say all the experts say Bush's tax plan sucks? There's lots of them, Democrat and Republican. Your friend Brian is the only person I've heard say it doesn't suck.
Tell me honestly: can you name a SINGLE "expert," without turning on the TV or running a web search, that says it's a bad plan? Even one? Tell me truthfully.

He's not my friend, BTW. He's an award winning economist I've been lucky enough to speak with a few times. And if he's the only one you've heard supporting it, then you haven't heard from many economists.

Because it drives up interest rates so people don't buy homes or take out loans to expand their businesses, so jobs don't get created, homes don't get sold, people don't make money blah blah blah companies raise prices since people aren't buying big ticket items or lay people off and on and on...
Deficits have not been shown as a major impediment to American economic growth unless very, very large. It's really no different then, say, taking out a loan to get your business through a rough patch. Debt is not inherently evil -- it can be used well, as businesses all around you demonstrate everyday. Take the trade deficit for example: it goes up and down almost exactly with the GDP!

To validate your claims about Bush, you have to show two things: 1 - that deficits are bad, and 2 - that Bush's deficit is particularly bad. Now, even if I were to concede the first point, you still have no case concerning the second, so any way you slice this, you'll have to retract a lot of your comments on the matter.

Okay, when I said he was the worst president in history you took it too literally. He's the worst president in my lifetime, in your lifetime, and probably in everyone living today's lifetime. Lol
Wow. A year's work finally pays off. Thanks for finally admitting it.

I think that's essential don't you?
Sure. But it says "unreasonable searches and seizures." I think you and I differ about what is and is not reasonable.

On a related note, I don't think you actually believe the Patriot Act is going to turn us into Stalinist Russia. I don't think you believe it at all. Not even the tiniest bit. These slippery slope arguments never play out like that in the real world. Things like this never snowball the way either side (yes, that includes mine) says they will. Think of how many times we've been told that the sky is falling. Compare it to how many times it's actually fallen.

Oh, I almost forgot:

I addressed this above, but wanted to add something: this entire paragraph hinges on the first six words. Problem is, deficits have not been shown to drive up interest rates. Sorry.

"'Tis but a scratch."

Can you believe that there are still people who oppose the action taken by the US in Iraq? Here's hoping they'll divert their energies to something more constructive, like the removal of those Baath party members who were allowed to return to their jobs, or the plight of the Kurds.

Today I saw someone with a shirt that said 'No Blood for Oil' and had a picture of GW with a bin Laden-style beard. Why didn't these people say this when Saddam gassed the Kurds with US support in the 80s?

Needed to vent. I'm done.

Problem is, deficits have not been shown to drive up interest rates
I knew you wer gonna say that, I read your dad's article. You're so predictable I can almost argue with myself now. Lol. *yawn~ Where is that thread where I called Silver a minion?

P.s. There is no more reasonable or unreasonable about it. If you can search whoever, whenever, without a reason, what would be an unreasonable search? There aren't any more unreasonable searches at all get it? I'm sleepy.

Originally posted by sunfrog
I knew you wer gonna say that, I read your dad's article. You're so predictable I can almost argue with myself now. Lol. *yawn~ Where is that thread where I called Silver a minion?
I break down your mistakes in detail, wait four days, post one minor addendum, and you jump on the addendum as "predictable." You bet it's predictable; because it's true. Knowing what I'm going to say next isn't half as important as knowing what to say in response. Which you don't, as far as I can tell.

P.s. There is no more reasonable or unreasonable about it. If you can search whoever, whenever, without a reason, what would be an unreasonable search? There aren't any more unreasonable searches at all get it?
Your entire gripe, it seems, is that an unreasonable search could, hypothetically, take place.

Ahem...you ignored almost an entire post. Not coincidentally, a post that pretty much slams the door on the bulk of your economic gripes.

the chart destroys your claims about the size of the deficit, and also seems to disrupt your entire basis for economic complaint. Comments?
Tell me honestly: can you name a SINGLE "expert," without turning on the TV or running a web search, that says it's a bad plan? Even one? Tell me truthfully.
Problem is, deficits have not been shown to drive up interest rates. Sorry.

I think this happened last year, too. Hey everyone, it's the Second Annual Sunfrog Disappears In the Face of Verifiable Data Festival. Funnel cakes are 50% off and free face-painting for the kids.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally posted by Yoda
I think this happened last year, too. Hey everyone, it's the Second Annual Sunfrog Disappears In the Face of Verifiable Data Festival. Funnel cakes are 50% off and free face-painting for the kids.

Hehehehe. Thats the best thing I've heard in a long time.

*Second Annual Sunfrog Disappears In the Face of Verifiable Data Festival.*

Well well well, look at the Kettol callin the Sunspot black! Aherm, Holiday (or Beale, as you are so famously called over here in Witkentstein!) I thought YOU were supposed to talk about Cambodia in yer next MoVa post (3 days ago, when you back from work.) Or are you afraid Freddie is gonna attack you wid yet another quote from TOMBSTONE? Pish, these conservatives ... theres always safety in numbers, isnt there ... Mwahahahaa ...

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Well well well, look at the Kettol callin the Sunspot black! Aherm, Holiday! I thought YOU were supposed to talk about Cambodia in yer next MoVa post (3 days ago, when you back from work.) Or are you afraid Freddie is gonna attack you wid yet another quote from TOMBSTONE?
I assume you're talking to Beale. If so, I only hope he's wise enough to turn the other cheek. I've seen what you consider debate, chummy, and I see no redeeming value in it.

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Pish, these conservatives ... theres always safety in numbers, isnt there ... Mwahahahaa ...
That's pretty rich, considering your political affiliation and the board you choose to pass the time at.

Dont call me chummy, you jackalope. And butt out, I wasnt talkin to you. Im talkin to Beale who promised to come back wid some answers.

*That's pretty rich, considering your political affiliation and the board you choose to pass the time at.* And dont end your sentences wid prepositions, you twit.

Dont call me chummy, you jackalope.
Don't call me jackalope, you vagabond.

And dont end your sentences wid prepositions, you twit.
Ah, the truth hurts, doesn't it?

Start using apostrophes, and you've got yourself a deal, chummy.

Your chart on the deficit is stupid. It doesn't even make sense. In 1943 you could buy 10 comic books for $1, today it would cost you $29.50. If I borrowed $1 from you in 1943 it's like borrowing $29.50 today. No it isn't. Borrowing $1 is borrowing $1. If I pay you back in 1943, 2003, or 3003, $1 is $1. If your chart proves anything it's that things used to cost less in 1943. That's it. That's all. It has nothing to do with anything else. 55 billion in today's money is less than 307 billion in today's money. 55 billion in 1943 money is less than 307 billion in today's money. You could buy more in 1943 but who gives a s***? That doesn't have anything to do with anything.

p.s. I didn't run away, I'm busy and I get tired of talking to you. You've clearly been brainwashed. I go post on 3 other message boards. I'm an editor at one and I do the news at the other, gaming news not real news, and movie-vault. What is funnel cake?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Jesus christ....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Your chart on the deficit is stupid. It doesn't even make sense. In 1943 you could buy 10 comic books for $1, today it would cost you $29.50. If I borrowed $1 from you in 1943 it's like borrowing $29.50 today. No it isn't. Borrowing $1 is borrowing $1. If I pay you back in 1943, 2003, or 3003, $1 is $1. If your chart proves anything it's that things used to cost less in 1943. That's it. That's all. It has nothing to do with anything else. 55 billion in today's money is less than 307 billion in today's money. 55 billion in 1943 money is less than 307 billion in today's money. You could buy more in 1943 but who gives a s***? That doesn't have anything to do with anything.
It's funny that at first you ACCEPTED this inflationary claim, but now you reject it. Remember this?

"Franklin Roosevelt's 1943 budget deficit was $55 billion. What a fiscally shrewd fella the father of the New Deal was, right? Hardly. In 1996 dollars, FDR's deficit that year was $425 billion."

Ignoring the fact that your example is faulty (ever hear of interest?), why don't you just look it up? Prove to me that YOU are not the brainwashed one by pursuing the facts and, subsequently, basing your beliefs on them, and not on wild conjecture. Don't go Django on me, Sun.

p.s. I didn't run away, I'm busy and I get tired of talking to you. You've clearly been brainwashed. I go post on 3 other message boards. I'm an editor at one and I do the news at the other, gaming news not real news, and movie-vault.
You still found time to post here a bit...and I'm betting that, were I to check Move-Vault, I'd find a number of posts from you there over the same period of time. But all will be forgiven if you follow through on your claims and arguments.

Look, obviously you have no actual obligation to me or anyone else to account for your time...but if you vanish when your claims come under heavy attack, you can't really complain when I or anyone else concludes that you've merely ducked out.

What is funnel cake?

That's funnel cake? It looks..em.. maybe yummy, maybe not. What does it taste like?

Ignoring the fact that your example is faulty (ever hear of interest?), why don't you just look it up?
You look it up, it's a waste of time. lol. Just look at that chart. 55 billion turned into 499 billion? How? Is that with 60 years of interest? I don't think interest was even calculated for that chart. If it was you're saying we owe FDR's debt and not or own? What are you saying? FDR's 55 billion with interest turned into ?? How many billion? How much of the 1943 debt has been paid off and how much will Bushy add? It doesn't matter anyway because it's stupid. I can't believe so many people believe it. Where can I get a funnel cake? Do you know of any national chains that sell them? Like Cinnabuns or something? I wanna taste it.

"Franklin Roosevelt's 1943 budget deficit was $55 billion. What a fiscally shrewd fella the father of the New Deal was, right? Hardly. In 1996 dollars, FDR's deficit that year was $425 billion.",
Uh what about it? I was proving that the chart is in 1996 dollars. I didn't accept it. Someone fiddled with the numbers, I had to prove that to everyone who thought it was real.