What do you think about my list of directors and films?

Tools    

Tier Month Rushmore of cinema:

Hitchcock, Kubrick, Welles, Scorsese, Ozu, Fellini

Tier top director:
Malick, Coppola, Tarantino, Lynch, Kurosawa, Myazaki, Spielberg, Cronenberg, Anderson, Coens Brothers, Carpenter

Tier great director:

Cameron, Villenueve, Burton, Del toro, Nolan, Fincher, Jackson, Raimi, Mann, Gilliam, De Palma, Arofonsky, Cuaron, Inarritu

Good director tier

Chazelle, Refn, Mendes, Oliver Stone, Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, Favreau, Jordan Peele, Russo Brothers, John McTiernan

Tier Craftsman
Snyder, Bay, Emmerich, directors of the various more anonymous MCU films and usual blockbuster.

And their films in the respective tiers, some can be higher. I compiled this basing off best of decade lists, awards, critical ratings and all time lists and forums "polls" so.. do you agree that there's a gap between a tier and another but they're similiar quality for critics and moviegoers?

i don't really like Malick or Lynch, neither I am a fan of Jackson, at all. But I gotta recognize that their talent is around that level. I hope you do too ^^

Do you personally enjoy Ozu and Welles films? Ozu style doesn't seem to match most of the directors you have listed (I realize you compiled this list so it might not be your personally favs).

Welles...what of his film do you love (if any)?

Do you personally enjoy Ozu and Welles films? Ozu style doesn't seem to match most of the directors you have listed (I realize you compiled this list so it might not be your personally favs).

Welles...what of his film do you love (if any)?
Not my personal favs. I think Cronenberg films are much better than Lynch‘s but speaking off general consensus and critics they’re in the same level.

As for your question, I do like Tokyo Story, Quinlan and Citizen Kane a lot.

but I have not seen all of their films.

Godard, Dreyer, Cassavetes, Bergman, Chaplin should all be in the God tier. As should Kurosawa.

Fassbinder should be considered. And Nicholas Ray and Leone should be somewhere.

I could do without almost everyone in that Good list, even some of them have made movies I like.

Bay really isn't much of a craftsman, at all, even if I don't think he should be ignored. And I don't have any thoughts about Emmerich whatsoever. I can't imagine anyone does

Godard, Dreyer, Cassavetes, Bergman, Chaplin should all be in the God tier. As should Kurosawa.

Fassbinder should be considered. And Nicholas Ray and Leone should be somewhere.

I could do without almost everyone in that Good list, even some of them have made movies I like.

Bay really isn't much of a craftsman, at all, even if I don't think he should be ignored. And I don't have any thoughts about Emmerich whatsoever. I can't imagine anyone does
I don’t think there is enough gap between Leone and someone like PTA or Cronenberg.

if anything, Coppola might be the best of the bunch and could be moved in the god tier based on his highs (which I rank higher than any director highs)...

bay is a craftsman. Mediocre but still had some ideas back in the day.

I don’t think there is enough gap between Leone and someone like PTA or Cronenberg.

if anything, Coppola might be the best of the bunch and could be moved in the god tier based on his highs (which I rank higher than any director highs)...

bay is a craftsman. Mediocre but still had some ideas back in the day.

Craftsman applies to someone who either understands storytelling structure or basic cinematic language, both of which Bay struggles with pretty profoundly

Craftsman applies to someone who either understands storytelling structure or basic cinematic language, both of which Bay struggles with pretty profoundly
I would refer it as some mediocre director or some decent one who works in hire and rarely produces something entertaining or decent.

Tier top director:
Malick, Coppola, Tarantino, Lynch, Kurosawa, Myazaki, Spielberg, Cronenberg, Anderson, Coens Brothers, Carpenter

Tier great director:

Cameron, Villenueve, Burton, Del toro, Nolan, Fincher, Jackson, Raimi, Mann, Gilliam, De Palma, Arofonsky, Cuaron, Inarritu

Good director tier

Chazelle, Refn, Mendes, Oliver Stone, Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, Favreau, Jordan Peele, Russo Brothers, John McTiernan

Tier Craftsman
Snyder, Bay, Emmerich, directors of the various more anonymous MCU films and usual blockbuster.

And their films in the respective tiers, some can be higher. I compiled this basing off best of decade lists, awards, critical ratings and all time lists and forums "polls" so.. do you agree that there's a gap between a tier and another but they're similiar quality for critics and moviegoers?

i don't really like Malick or Lynch, neither I am a fan of Jackson, at all. But I gotta recognize that their talent is around that level. I hope you do too ^^
Are these just Directors of films you've seen? If it's not then I can't really understand why there would be no Bergman, Mizoguchi, Varda, Truffaut, Godard, Akerman, Rossellini, Ramsay, Antoninini, Bertolucci, Kieslowski, Tarkovsky, Reichardt, Eisenstein, Kolatazov, Denis. And probably scores more.

Also, from what I can see, you've named just short of 50 film directors and every single one of them is male. Is there really that much disparity among 'great directors'?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I like a few of Fellini's movies.. Same with Kurosawa. Ozu made some fine movies, but many are too similar, even using the same actors playing the same characters.... As for Welles, I'd rather see an interview of his than a movie of his.

I can't say I like any other directors you have mentioned, but I have about 10-20 directors not on your list I do love.

Are these just Directors of films you've seen? If it's not then I can't really understand why there would be no Bergman, Mizoguchi, Varda, Truffaut, Godard, Akerman, Rossellini, Ramsay, Antoninini, Bertolucci, Kieslowski, Tarkovsky, Reichardt, Eisenstein, Kolatazov, Denis. And probably scores more.

Also, from what I can see, you've named just short of 50 film directors and every single one of them is male. Is there really that much disparity among 'great directors'?
I have seen some others sure, like park Chan wook, George Lucas etc but those are the ones in the top of my head.

Haven’t seen any of the ones you mentioned.