Multiple Bombings: World Trade Center/Pentagon

Tools    

PLite: if you want to partake in this discussion, go ahead, but we're not looking for yes-men here. It's not contributing anything to the conversation.

My source is not that of a cult, Wart, but rather, Joseph Kickasola, a scholar of Islam. My father was fortunate enough to conduct a lengthy interview with him, which is available on the web (streaming audio), if you'd like to hear it. Just say the word. Examples of Muslim tolerance are not the point here. I am not claiming that they all believe that Christians should be fine, or that atheists shoud be killed...or that we have no right to life, but that is the teaching.

Perhaps there is a contradiction in teaching? Anyway, my simple point was that people can go on about how Muslims are actually peaceful people...but I don't know that they are. Yes, the terrorists misrepresent them, the same way Jerry Falwell misrepresents me, but from what I understand of the Muslim faith, it is a matter of degree, rather than of misunderstanding, if you see what I mean.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by TWTCommish
The Islamic religion says that those who are polytheists (IE: believe in one God...so atheists are included), or who do not believe in a singular God, have no right to life, and those who are not Mulsim should be fined, in short.

Now, tell me where I'm wrong. Go ahead.
Your wrong. Flat out wrong, maybe you got false information, or typed it wrong, but the above is just flat out wrong. Polytheism is the belief in more than one god. Poly means many, Chris. MONOtheists believe in one god, not polytheists. So yes you are wrong.

I really wish I had looked at this earlier and posted about it, because you really did make gross generalizations. First you made generalizations about Muslims, then you made a generalization about Steve and liberals.

"Oh, and did I mention that they still chop off hands for theft over there? IMO, there's nothing wrong with opposing Afghanistan. They are completely barbaric and are adding to the suffering in this world. I hope they do not last...it's origins, even, are questionable!"

Damn Chris. Damn. How can you say that?? How can you actually say that with out having any sort of regret? Just because Afghanistan is a developing Nation does not, DOES NOT, mean it is barbaric. It is not barbaric at all. Not in the least. You are suffering from extreme ethnocentrism Chris. HOW THE **** DOES IT ADD SUFFERING IN THIS WORLD?!?!

Chopping off a hand is no more barbaric than the death penalty. Chopping off a hand is no more barbaric than dying from third degree burns from an incindary bomb that was dropped on your house. Copping off a hand is no more barbaric than anything this country does to its criminals.

You are saying "they" are wrong for their beliefs. That is all you are doing. All "they" are doing is saying you are wrong for your beliefs. Does that make either party right? no it doesn't. But it also doesn't make either party any less wrong.

"Oh, and another blow against Afghanistan's reputation: they, along with (I'm pretty sure) the Muslim religion, decided awhile back that they want no changes...they've declared their morals and standards as perfect, basically, and will not change them. They are in a freeze. They refuse to compromise in light of any new evidence or anything of the sort. They'ev decided that their culture and ways of life are the way it ought to be...not open for negotiation."

You have just done the exact same thing, so this comment hold no relavance.

Chris man, I think none the less of you for saying that, but please, please, please try and think about what your saying. I'm too mad to post about this right now. I'll post back later.

I said Polytheists and Atheists have no right to life. Poly = many. I went back to edit the part in parens by I had to go to Church (how ironic). Yes, I know what Polytheism is. And besides, you know very well what I meant: aside from my typo, I was asking Steve why he thinks I was making a generalization.

I really wish I had looked at this earlier and posted about it, because you really did make gross generalizations. First you made generalizations about Muslims, then you made a generalization about Steve and liberals.
Where were you when Steve told me conservatives were idealistic? It's not a generalization if it's true. If you say "Irish people come from Ireland," you'd be right. And if I find that the Muslim religion, by defintion, teaches intolerance, than I am correct in saything that it is an intolerant religion. So where's the generalization?

Damn Chris. Damn. How can you say that?? How can you actually say that with out having any sort of regret? Just because Afghanistan is a developing Nation does not, DOES NOT, mean it is barbaric. It is not barbaric at all. Not in the least. You are suffering from extreme ethnocentrism Chris. HOW THE **** DOES IT ADD SUFFERING IN THIS WORLD?!?!
Uh, wha? You're telling me chopping off a hand for stealing bread is not barbaric? Barbaric things happen over there. They have little freedom. It's horrible...things like that make this world worse, and as such, in this case, I have NO problem with us trying to stop it.

Chopping off a hand is no more barbaric than the death penalty. Chopping off a hand is no more barbaric than dying from third degree burns from an incindary bomb that was dropped on your house. Copping off a hand is no more barbaric than anything this country does to its criminals.
Big friggin' difference: we sentence murderers to death. We do not bomb or electocute people for stealing or talking bad about the government. Afghanistan is hell, my friend...I am *SO* pleased to say that I do not live there, and I am *VERY* upset that some people are stuck there.

You are saying "they" are wrong for their beliefs. That is all you are doing. All "they" are doing is saying you are wrong for your beliefs. Does that make either party right? no it doesn't. But it also doesn't make either party any less wrong.
There you go with the "they" thing now. There's nothign wrong with the word "they" man. So just let it go. Beliefs? Yeah, Peter, technically these are just beliefs. I hold the belief that killing people who speak out against the Taliban and having a disregard for the value of their own people's lives is a bad thing. You can go on and on about how that is my opinion, but I don't care. I could just as well tell you that rape is okay...it's just your BELIEF that it's wrong, but such stances are ridiculous.

You have just done the exact same thing, so this comment hold no relavance.
No no no no no. I stated my beliefs, and I'm firm in them. This is not a leader declaring that no more progress should be made.

This is different, because I've never said that I can't improve, the way that society has. I WILL improve...I expect to. If I don't, then I've messed up. Fundamental difference. The comment holds plenty of relevance: it shows you that they refuse to advance because they are convinced they have it all figured out. Obviously I would never pretend to have it all figured out.

I think you should think about this, too, Peter. That is another world over there...and, unfortunately, many of the people in power there are evil. They do evil things. They do BARBARIC things. If you want to get technical, let's ALWAYS remind each other that EVERYTHING we believe is just a belief, alright?

Islam is not properly represented by the terrorists. I completely agree with that. I do not agree, however, with people who try to say that not only are they not properly represented by them, but all Muslims are nice and happy and love us. I don't know that that's true. From what I understand, there are some fundamental things in their religion which clash with basic freedom. Steve doesn't seem to care, though...he'll make his speech about stereotypes, even though I doubt he has much interest in hearing my response, and I don't think, for even a half of a second, that Steve would argue with someone who made a stereotypical remark about Christians.

Steve, I truly believe, is looking at the world through racially-tinted glasses. Always keeping an eye out for something that could possibly, maybe, potentially be some slight of some minority, even if it's 100% true. Like I said before: be offended first, ask questions later (or not at all, unfortunately). The rant about "they" makes no sense. I've asked him before to clarify his problem with that, and he has not. I've asked him before if I should use "we" instead even though it makes no sense, and he hasn't answered.

The stereotyping concerning liberals is nothing more serious than what we do everyday. We say "Liberals want larger government" -- well, technically, not every single liberal does...but a lot do, and it's the basic belief among them. Would you get all upset if someone had said "Conservatives want lower taxes"? Most likely not...even though it's the same type of generalization. Hey, IMO, some liberals tend to make the same kinds of arguments...you may disagree.

So be it...but please do not act as if I'm doing some horrible thing here, because I don't think you, Steve, and whoever else would act quite so upset if this happened on the flip side...which is just as bad.

You make me laugh TWT. On the one hand you make fun of me when I cite a Gulf War book written by Ramsey Clark (a famous American atturney general) & then it turns out that your source of all thingies Islam is some dude named Kickasola whos not even Moslem. Teehee.

PLite, the Yes-Boy!

Now With Moveable Parts
Check out the monstrosities going on in Sudan.Then we can talk on a level playing field.
*Hi pigsnieLite...it's good to see you again

Wart isn't Muslim either, is he? And yet that's okay? And no, I don't believe I made fun of you for it. In fact, I remember that, and I didn't. What I did say, though, is that if I quoted something bad about Clinton from one of his aides, I'd bet you wouldn't believe THAT. Please stop making these things up about me, alright? Oh, by the way: I believe that scholar is from the middle east. I don't know if he was ever a member of the Islamic faith, but it doesn't matter, because you don't have to be to learn about their religion.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I never saw Steves conservative comment so I can't say anything about that. And yes if it is true, then it isn't a generalization its a fact. But saying that Steve is a typical liberal is a generalization. BUT saying:

"And if I find that the Muslim religion, by defintion, teaches intolerance, than I am correct in saything that it is an intolerant religion. So where's the generalization?"

...is a generalization. As you previously stated its not a generalization if it is true. But that isn't true. You even said "if I find", which means its an opinion which means it isn't a fact which would make it a generalization.

"Oh, and did I mention that they still chop off hands for theft over there? IMO, there's nothing wrong with opposing Afghanistan. They are completely barbaric and are adding to the suffering in this world. I hope they do not last...it's origins, even, are questionable!"

Your saying "I hope they do not last". So your wishing the death of an entire culture because they are different. Shame on you Chris.

"Uh, wha? You're telling me chopping off a hand for stealing bread is not barbaric? Barbaric things happen over there. They have little freedom. It's horrible...things like that make this world worse, and as such, in this case, I have NO problem with us trying to stop it."

It's only barbaric to us, and we aren't the final word on anything. As I said before just because we see it one way doesn't mean it is that way. Afghanistan seems to see it as a justifiable punishment, yet the US does not, which one is right?? You can not say because its opinion.

"Afghanistan is hell, my friend...I am *SO* pleased to say that I do not live there, and I am *VERY* upset that some people are stuck there."

No, Afghanistan is hell to you. To them, its just a life before they reach heaven. Muslims leaving in Afghanistan do not live a material life because the less material possecisons you have in life, the more you will have in the After life. To a Muslim, the worse you are treated in life the better you are treated in the after life, which is why most Muslims do not complain against the Taliban, which is why the let it be. There are some sects that oppose it, but they are different kinds of Muslims. That opposition is also a different sect than that of the "terrorists"(I put it in quoatations because its not fact they were Muslim), which is why you need to be more specific when you say "they". Please distinguish between the Taliban gov, the terrorists, the rebels, the religious fanatics, and the everyday people. None of them are the same.

"This is different, because I've never said that I can't improve, the way that society has. I WILL improve...I expect to. If I don't, then I've messed up. Fundamental difference. The comment holds plenty of relevance: it shows you that they refuse to advance because they are convinced they have it all figured out. Obviously I would never pretend to have it all figured out."

When did "they ever" say "they" won't improve?? When? Pull a quote if you have to. Because they already have improved by this, Afghanistan now has proff of how they view the U.S. treats them, and now have more reason to dislike us, which is an improvement to "them". What that statement just ment was they aren't going to change their beliefs and start admiting that their beliefs are wrong just as you won't start praising Allah. They won't change, neither will you, nor anyone else.

My main concern with what you are saying is that you really need to start distinguishing between the groups your talking about, because never once should they be referred to as a whole.

I never saw Steves conservative comment so I can't say anything about that. And yes if it is true, then it isn't a generalization its a fact. But saying that Steve is a typical liberal is a generalization.
I believe I said that what he was doing was a typical liberal thing. See, that's the problem here: half of what I say gets heard, the rest is missed, and I spend as much time correcting false claims against me as I do actually discussing the subject at hand. It's a real waste...of all our time.

...is a generalization. As you previously stated its not a generalization if it is true. But that isn't true. You even said "if I find", which means its an opinion which means it isn't a fact which would make it a generalization.
C'mon. When I said "if I find," it was in a very broad way...so as to cover other instances of things similar to this. It is true, and therefore it is not a generalization. It was never based just on the way I felt, but rather, what I've learned. Therefore there is no generalization.

Your saying "I hope they do not last". So your wishing the death of an entire culture because they are different. Shame on you Chris.
Incorrect...you are making the assumption that that means death, when all it means is that I hope that country and it's ideals do not last.

It's only barbaric to us, and we aren't the final word on anything. As I said before just because we see it one way doesn't mean it is that way. Afghanistan seems to see it as a justifiable punishment, yet the US does not, which one is right?? You can not say because its opinion.
I didn't say we were the final word on everything...but when most of the world considers to be barbaric, something must be done. As I've said, you need not remind me that it's my opinion: I KNOW. I'm not a moron. However, there is a point at which, yes, we need to do something about such things. Hitler's opinion was that killing the Jews would be a good thing...should we have let that happen, simply because it was only our opinion that it was bad? Exactly what does it take for us to step in and force "our opinion" of what is cruel and horrible on others like that?

No, Afghanistan is hell to you. To them, its just a life before they reach heaven. Muslims leaving in Afghanistan do not live a material life because the less material possecisons you have in life, the more you will have in the After life. To a Muslim, the worse you are treated in life the better you are treated in the after life, which is why most Muslims do not complain against the Taliban, which is why the let it be. There are some sects that oppose it, but they are different kinds of Muslims. That opposition is also a different sect than that of the "terrorists"(I put it in quoatations because its not fact they were Muslim), which is why you need to be more specific when you say "they". Please distinguish between the Taliban gov, the terrorists, the rebels, the religious fanatics, and the everyday people. None of them are the same.
I have not failed to distinguish between them, as far as I know...but, again, Steve and yourself seem to imply that I have. Perhaps I haven't gone way out of my way to make it 100%, absolutely, unequivocally, totally, completely, utterly clear that I realize they are apart from one another...which I don't find to be a fault. I get it, alright? There was never a time when I did not get it. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever even hinted that they were all the same basic people. Nor will I. Okay? It's like the "it's your opinion thing": Yes, yes, I get it. You don't need to say it. I've known that since before this all began.

Hell to me? I don't think you really know what they think about their land over there. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a person who's perfectly alright with the fact that they live in a land without freedom.

When did "they ever" say "they" won't improve?? When? Pull a quote if you have to. Because they already have improved by this, Afghanistan now has proff of how they view the U.S. treats them, and now have more reason to dislike us, which is an improvement to "them". What that statement just ment was they aren't going to change their beliefs and start admiting that their beliefs are wrong just as you won't start praising Allah. They won't change, neither will you, nor anyone else.
Wrong. Several problems with the above

1) The Islamic scholar has discussed this. Want a link? Oh, wait, let me guess: you don't buy what he says, eh?

2) They have not improved at all. I have no idea how you're saying they have some kind of newfound proof. It's this simple: they're not going to change the way they handle the law, or their religion, or their political system, because they are convinced it is the best, and need not be changed. How on earth can you even come close to defending that? You ask me for a quote, which implies that you haven't heard of this policy...and then you tell me what they really meant? Doesn't sound right to me.

3) If I remember correctly, Allah refers to the same God I worship. I think it even means "Almighty God," "Almighty," or something like that, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it's not just about religion. It's not at all correct to say that it's all the same because you'll likely never worship Jesus, and I'll likely never follow their faith, and they'll never follow mine. They've simply decided that they are DONE progressing. Justice is the best it can be. Their system of government is the best it can be. No need for change. That isn't anywhere near what I live by...nor what you live by.

My main concern with what you are saying is that you really need to start distinguishing between the groups your talking about, because never once should they be referred to as a whole.
Have I done this? If you want to ask me for quotes, I have to do the same of you. And, for the 10 gajillionth time, I wanna know what the deal is with the word "they." It's getting really ridiculous. I don't know if this is some kind of joke, or what, but it's not funny to me at all.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
A year or so ago I found this thread an thought it was pretty interesting as a time capsule. I'm adding my 2 cents on what I remember of the day.

My clock radio went off at 6:00am and I heard Danny Bonaduce sounding absolutely serious and shaken, saying, "this is the worst thing I've ever seen." I fought to wake up, wondering what he was talking about. "Tragedy", "devastation", "plane hit such a huge building..." I was sifting through the words listening for the "where" and they said "a second plane has hit the World Trade Center". My immediate thought was of Kathleen, my friend in Manhattan. I was out of bed, into the living room and turned on the tv to see the footage of the second plane hitting. They were saying it was terrorism... speculating about the number of dead and injured. I sat glued to the tv until they announced the Pentagon hit. My friend (since age 17) Paul is a White House lawyer and I got really scared that he was there. A little while later, they said the White House was being evacuated, admid phrases like " country under attack", "at war" and speculation that these were just the first of many attacks that we could expect across the nation that day.

I was really scared and worried about my friends, but I kept it together until I got a call from my mom. Hearing her frayed nerves in her shaky voice and knowing she was alone for this (Dad had died 5 months earlier) was really upsetting. I called work and canceled the marketing we had planned for that morning. I went in and spent much of the morning watching the big-screen tv in the activities room and crying. We had an emergency meeting to discuss how to keep patients and staff as safe as possible, should there be a loss of power at the nursing home.

I remember ordering middle eastern food that day at lunch, and wondering how much backlash the local transplants could expect.

When I got home that evening, I had email from Paul. He said he had walked out of the White House, seen the Pentagon in flames and took off for home. It took him hours, as he stopped in electronics stores to get updates on what was going on, and he had to walk the whole way. His email asked that someone get a message to his mom in Ohio that he was ok and for his lover to please call him.

It was 5 days before I found out that Kathleen was ok. She had been in Ohio at the time of the attack. By the time I learned this, I had more or less given her up for dead, and called her mom to find out for sure what had happened. Kath answered the phone.

Another friend was in one of the towers, but went out for a smoke before their meeting and it saved his life. He moved to the woods of "New Hampster" and hasn't worked in the city since.

The most important change in my life is that I learned that life can end at any moment, and to make sure that those I love know I love them.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, if you read through the posts, you know what I was doing. I was actually teaching a class, so when I first saw the posts on this, I didn't know what to make of it. Terribly tragic, and I don't know what I was thinking comparing this attack to Pearl Harbor.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I was 11 when it happend. My best friend Nick and I got outta school and were just about to go downstairs to play games on the computer when my mum and brother said we had to take a look at the TV 'New Yorks under attack'. As stupid as i was back then i though they were watching a movie and we went down. Later that day i found out it wasn't a movie, it was real. I felt really horrible for all those people who found death that day.

In the years between now and then i started to realize how big it was. It wasn't just a planecrash, it was the start of a war, the war started with the death of thousands of people who had nothin to do with it.

An event like this kinda clips your wings of, we can all die. And it opened the door to a whole new world, the grown up world, filled with terrorism, evil men and lies. It opened my eyes.

And do check my "art": Deviant