Of your top 10 movies, choose one that can be remade

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
For me, it's The Dark Knight, since the story will always be adapted in a different way. Technically it's already a remake of the Burton film from 89.
Not really, considering the Joker and Batman had a very different relationship and link to their past in Burtons movie.

In terms of my list, I think Saving Private Ryan is the only one that can be remade and not absolutely destroyed by the internet. Can you imagine what would happen if The Godfather got remade?

Actually...The Godmother could be an all female remake

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Not really, considering the Joker and Batman had a very different relationship and link to their past in Burtons movie.
Yeah, I wouldn't call it a remake.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
A couple of mine have already been remade or are in that process.

I guess I'd choose Battle Royale though, but set in Britain instead of Japan.

I'd only watch a Taxi Driver remake if Shaquille O'Neal was cast as Iris.
...and Melissa McCarthy as Sport.

Thinking on it, though I'd hate to lose the performances in Ink, I have to admit it'd benefit most from a remake.
"Ink" could receive different interpretation of the theme given that the movie is quite complex and multifaceted there's lots of room to tweak things.

Hunger Games is so much better than Battle Royale
Battle Royale may have been an exploitation movie, but at least it was honest about it's sick lust for gruesome teenage violence instead of gutting it and wearing it's skin to distract from the hack-written virgin romance underneath.

This is more than needs to be said:

And he doesn't even cover the biggest plothole in the movie.

Originally Posted by Tugg
"Ink" could receive different interpretation of the theme given that the movie is quite complex and multifaceted there's lots of room to tweak things.
O.o Have you actually seen it? I was thinkin' more along the lines of improving production value and developing certain characters.

Welcome to the human race...
Battle Royale may have been an exploitation movie, but at least it was honest about it's sick lust for gruesome teenage violence instead of gutting it and wearing it's skin to distract from the hack-written virgin romance underneath.
I get the impression that categorising Battle Royale as a straight exploitation movie just because of its extreme violence is doing it a serious disservice. That might have been the consensus when it first started gaining attention in the West thanks to an association with Tarantino (and citing it as an influence on an actual exploitation-style film in Kill Bill Vol. 1) but looking back makes that feels like a massive misinterpretation. At the very least, its concerns with untrustworthy adults forcing oppressive regimes onto inherently vulnerable teenagers has stronger development than people want to give it credit for (even those who like it).

Still multitudes better than Hunger Games, anyway.

O.o Have you actually seen it? I was thinkin' more along the lines of improving production value and developing certain characters.
Yes, I have. I rate it 8. I think it's a beautiful movie. Improving production value could harm it's authenticity, I think. Whereas developing certain characters more would be one aspect of creating a different take on the same theme, if successful.

Your complaints about bad acting did not bother me at all. Sometimes good acting can create too much drama or in worse cases self indulgence, which I find problematic more often. "Ink" is more contemplative experience for me.

Drama as a genre often goes with realism and it is very hard to combine successfully when there are fantasy elements involved.

One of the things I enjoy in movies is their ability to transcend the mundane regardless if by use of fantasy or well done drama. "Ink" does it for me so that's why it is one of my favorites now, thanks to your recommendation.

I get the impression that categorising Battle Royale as a straight exploitation movie just because of its extreme violence is doing it a serious disservice.
It's not just the extreme violence, it's also the fact that it's unapologetically against kids, which is a fairly prevalent trope in Japanese media and taboo in more Western countries.

Yes, I have.
*SHOCK* No one I talk to has ever seen that movie.

I rate it 8. I think it's a beautiful movie. Improving production value could harm it's authenticity, I think. Whereas developing certain characters more would be one aspect of creating a different take on the same theme, if successful.
I was thinking more of... swapping certain characters around to complete certain narrative arcs that are otherwise left hanging.

One of the things I enjoy in movies is their ability to transcend the mundane regardless if by use of fantasy or well done drama. "Ink" does it for me so that's why it is one of my favorites now, thanks to your recommendation.
You watched it cuzza ME???

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I've always viewed Battle Royale as a modern parable of sorts. I think it's a persuasive exploration into how people behave in extreme, life or death situations, and they applied it to 15 year olds superbly. In the book, manga, and film, they all felt real and authentic, and it was easy to connect to characters and determine which ones you wanted to see survive, and which ones you didn't. Even then, it threw in twists that made you completely question what you thought of characters i.e. Mitsuko. The romance in that actually worked as well, it wasn't forced or made the central focus, instead they developed it by having them act quite awkwardly around each other, so how young, inexperienced teenagers would probably act. The world in BR was developed poorly though, especially in the book.

As for THG, don't get me started, I got into so many arguments on IMDb to this day, I think Suzanne Collins straddles the line between straight off plagiarising BR, the similarities between the two are unbelievable, even the sequels share uncanny resemblances to BR and BR2. I don't think it has any serious points, or if it did, they were conveyed poorly. The romance was ridiculous as well, what 16 year old makes undying proclamations of love to people? What made it worse was not one of the 3 people involved in that triangle were particularly interesting or even nice. Yeah, I'm not a fan of it whatsoever, but I will say the films are significantly better than the books, they were horrendously boring and slow.