Heath Ledgers Joker, Tom Hardy's Bane, or Neeson's Ra's al Ghul?

Tools    

Ledger offcourse up there with darth vader as the supervillain best

Ledger, easily. I don't even think the most ardent of contrarians could put forth a compelling counter-argument on that one. He completely outshined Aaron Eckhart's performance which was also fantastic.
Aaron Eckhart was great, and it's seems too easy to forget about him. He told a great story about himself and Ledger becoming sympatico during the hospital bed scene, which is very touching in retrospect.

Naturally, Eckhart's Two-Face is much more subtle than Tommy Lee Jones's version but regardless of the tone in each case, Eckhardt defines the two facets better, such as the violently angry outbursts.

I would also say that Cillian Murphy outshone Liam Neeson in the first film, but as with the Joker I think it's because these characters are that bit more larger than life and perhaps there's more range in what the actors can play.

What's impressive with Bane is that they were almost able to create a character that could match Ledger, in ways already described on this thread.

All 3 of them were done right tbh.
Ra's al Ghul and Joker were perfectly portrayed... Ledger was stunning in the role, if a little less, well, comic. He was more darkly comic, which suited the tone of the movie and the Nolanverse.

My favourite is Bane though... it's the role that got me interested in Tom Hardy as an actor.
Bane is badass, and was written and portrayed absolutely perfectly.
Wasn't keen on his ending though, I felt he needed something a bit more dramatic than Catwoman on the Bat Pod appearing out of nowhere.
My only gripe about that ending is the matter of which bane is killed it absolutely stripped him of all his mightiness in the film just because marion cotillard s character was behind all his, i didn t like that type of scenario makes banes suddenly as henchman and not as the batman nemesis in just one scene we get this feeling of stripped mightiness

Aaron Eckhart was great, and it's seems too easy to forget about him. He told a great story about himself and Ledger becoming sympatico during the hospital bed scene, which is very touching in retrospect.

Naturally, Eckhart's Two-Face is much more subtle than Tommy Lee Jones's version but regardless of the tone in each case, Eckhardt defines the two facets better, such as the violently angry outbursts.

I would also say that Cillian Murphy outshone Liam Neeson in the first film, but as with the Joker I think it's because these characters are that bit more larger than life and perhaps there's more range in what the actors can play.

What's impressive with Bane is that they were almost able to create a character that could match Ledger, in ways already described on this thread.
The funny thing about Jones is that in his prime he would've made a great Two-Face in the Nolanverse. Look at his maniacal performance in Natural Born Killers and his ability to also play it w/ a straight face. It's the same w/ Nicholson. It would've been compelling had he played a Joker in the vein of Jack Torrance in the context of a different vision.

The funny thing about Jones is that in his prime he would've made a great Two-Face in the Nolanverse. Look at his maniacal performance in Natural Born Killers and his ability to also play it w/ a straight face. It's the same w/ Nicholson. It would've been compelling had he played a Joker in the vein of Jack Torrance in the context of a different vision.
Yeah, I think Batman Forever belied Jones's real talent. I haven't seen Natural Born Killers, so that's interesting to know.

Yeah, I think Batman Forever belied Jones's real talent. I haven't seen Natural Born Killers, so that's interesting to know.
IMO Batman Forever was masterfully casted (w/ the exception of O'Donnell). It's the film itself that failed to provide the performances w/ enough interesting substance and narrative. Jim Carrey, Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman all reflect their fictional counterparts but were all misused.

Bane. Ledger is very good and deserving of his oscar but is way overrated and his death just made people praise it more.

What undermined Hardys impact as Bane was the mask he had to wear. Facial expression is huge for actors, which is why RJD always has those "in helmet" shots, and the faceplate coming up, alot. Ledgers Joker makeup was scary good, and Neeson is Neeson, but the mask screwed Hardy. He still was great though, just maybe even better than what we could see.

I found Hardy worked with the mask brilliantly tbh...

The scene when Bruce is lying on the bed with a busted back, and Bane is sitting next to him talking about his plans for Bruce... Hardy's acting is staggering.
And he does it all with ever-so-slight head movements, and his eyes.

Also, the scene when he stands on the camo-tumbler in front of Blackgate Prison and is talking to the prisoners using the mic.
It's all about his physical movements and eyes.

"... and do accept his resignation?!?!"

What undermined Hardys impact as Bane was the mask he had to wear. Facial expression is huge for actors, which is why RJD always has those "in helmet" shots, and the faceplate coming up, alot.
I went to see Rises with a friend who read the comics and when we first saw the posters he was really confused when he saw Bane and was all "Who's that?". When he looked it up he was really put off because Tom Hardly resembles his appearances in the comic or Animated Series.

When we got out of the theater he said the worst thing about it was Bane because they not only didn't get his appearance right, but they didn't nail his abilities or even his performance which is what made him likable to begin with.

I maintain that the worst thing about Rises is the plot, but I think one indiscernible growling character was more than enough without Hardy spectacularly failing to follow up Batman's ultimate rival with a B-list villain.

I wouldn't even blame Tom Hardy for it, but I just don't think Bane was ever going to be a compelling onscreen threat unless he looked the type who breaks superheros over his knee.

Bane. Ledger is very good and deserving of his oscar but is way overrated and his death just made people praise it more.
I feel it's necessary to go all Joe Pesci here: overrated how ?

I feel it's necessary to go all Joe Pesci here: overrated how ?
Factoring in Ledger's death would certainly be biased praise, but I really didn't see Hardy rockin' the same sort of screen presence he did. And even if he did, he'd have to crazy overcompensate for the sub-par script. Hardy was at a disadvantage in more ways than one.

Factoring in Ledger's death would certainly be biased praise, but I really didn't see Hardy rockin' the same sort of screen presence he did. And even if he did, he'd have to crazy overcompensate for the sub-par script. Hardy was at a disadvantage in more ways than one.
Is it not that, by its very nature, the part of the Joker is freer? You can do so much more with it because of the anarchy, which the other villains don't have, being bound by particular goals. I thought the script was good for Bane actually; there was a lot of menace to it already. One of my favourite lines being "Search him. Then I will kill you".

Is it not that, by its very nature, the part of the Joker is freer? You can do so much more with it because of the anarchy, which the other villains don't have, being bound by particular goals. I thought the script was good for Bane actually; there was a lot of menace to it already. One of my favourite lines being "Search him. Then I will kill you".
I think his delivery just makes his lines more amusing than intimidating. Besides that The Joker was written to be very thickly thematic in contrast to Batman. Bane had nowhere near the depth to his dialog and it's emblematic of larger problems with the script. At least Joker and Ra's weren't playing second fiddle to even less recognizable characters.

I think his delivery just makes his lines more amusing than intimidating.
They're amusing and intimidating a lot of the time.

Well, it's not clear how much of the plots are him and what part is but the parts we do see display him as extremely intelligent, such as the opening scene when he captures Dr. Pavel, as well as knowledge of psychological torture and a working knowledge of nuclear physics "Five, by my calculations."
In short, made the plans, but Bane handled the logistics.