Looking for movies with this kind of plot -

Tools    

I was surprised to see a discussion about Doctor Who starting up, but it didn't develop quite how I expected. Apologies for going off topic but I'd like to offer my take on the series.

After banality said it "sucks" it was very interesting to learn that he, like me, had been a (mainly) classic series fan. I sympathise with him on what he says here:

He turned a pretty neat kids show into a stupid 'can be and should be anything' show that shakes off the 50 year established continuity which has never before needed to cast off everything it's done. Still a kids show tho
Looking at the two further opinions here: –

Tell me, what has Moffat done that has ruined the continuity in any major way? And I disagree with your statement, I think Moffat took the show in a more realistic direction that relied more on smart writing, great actors, better effects and a cinematic feel to make a great show. That's a huge step forward from the cheesy but fun classic episodes and even some of the early revival episodes.
Bad sets, bad writing, bad acting.

Even the newest episodes are filmed in the BBC car park and in the stairwells of Pebble Mill. It's just awful to watch. Cringeworthy comes to mind as well tbh.[/
– it's fascinating to see that there are some viewers out there who don't appreciate the direction Moffat has taken the show in and that it can actually be called bad in several respects. It's notable also to me to see a criticism of the appearance of the show – even now with a supposedly decent budget.

My feeling is that the flaw in Steven Moffat's approach to Doctor Who is that he grew up. Russell T Davies apparently called him a writer "driven by sex" and I believe that aspect of his writing has been detrimental. In fact one of the changes banality may be referring to, which is certainly one of the reasons I effectively stopped being a fan, is his decision to make Time Lords able to change sex during regeneration, and to repeatedly promote the idea during his time until he opted to cast a woman as the Master (note, not the Doctor). I couldn't see that as a creative decision, so that was me finished. Actually to say that he's made it more realistic is a bit of a double edged sword, because the increase in references to sexuality, to me at least, has become too real and as far as the Doctor's concerned, make him a very ordinary and earthly character which he traditionally isn't.

On the subject of the writing I don't rate Steven Moffat as a writer like I would many classic era or even Big Finish writers, some of whom have also written for the TV series. He isn't the calibre of David Whitaker, Brian Hayles, Robert Holmes, Chris Boucher, Marc Platt, Robert Shearman or significant other talented people that the series has been fortunate to have. What he has done is to cast one excellent Doctor, Matt Smith, and create some memorable monsters like the Weeping Angels.

I was delighted to hear that he would be stepping down and it would be nice to think that Chris Chibnall can do something more palatable in the future. I particularly liked his story Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Personally I was hoping for a new team completely unconnected to the past regime but the chances of my returning to the fold are slim.

I disagree that the Moffat stuff is "driven by sex" and I think that referencing that Time Lords can change genders felt natural. Up until then it didn't really make sense why males only changed into males especially when you see that nearly every other characteristic of a person changes after a regeneration. And even though the Doctor is not and should not be concerned about sex or anything to do with it, he (to my knowledge) never mentions it seriously and whenever it comes up he acts like a child when he talks about it which is his character (I'm talking about the 11th doctor here, don't think the 12th has encountered any of this). Plus, I don't think Moffat ranks with the best television writers ever (for Doctor Who) but I think that his stuff is genuinely fantastic (for the most part). And his stuff in Sherlock is even better.

A couple of Star Trek: The Next Generation examples with the same theme: Datalore, where the only 'survivor' of a ravaged planet is Data's evil twin brother; and Skin of Evil, where the villain is actually the discarded negative qualities of a super race who abandoned their planet and left him behind.

I disagree that the Moffat stuff is "driven by sex"
I think Davies has a point. Certainly I think he has a point in a way that you probably couldn't say about Andrew Davies.

and I think that referencing that Time Lords can change genders felt natural. Up until then it didn't really make sense why males only changed into males especially when you see that nearly every other characteristic of a person changes after a regeneration.
I wouldn't say it felt natural after nearly 50 years and a 13-person run of male Doctors (14 if we include Michael Jayston).

And even though the Doctor is not and should not be concerned about sex or anything to do with it, he (to my knowledge) never mentions it seriously and whenever it comes up he acts like a child when he talks about it which is his character
I think he gave Matt Smith some awkward stuff though – what was that line about Clara's skirt being too tight? Haven't seen the episode but I remember it being mentioned. I have a lot of respect for the way Smith navigated some terrible material but every time I see him he downplays it perfectly. You never feel the Doctor is arrogant, for one thing, even though arrogance pumps through Moffat's material like blood. Paul McGann was exactly the same in Night of the Doctor – he neutralized that side to the script.

(I'm talking about the 11th doctor here, don't think the 12th has encountered any of this).
That was at Peter Capaldi's request.

I think Davies has a point. Certainly I think he has a point in a way that you probably couldn't say about Andrew Davies.

I wouldn't say it felt natural after nearly 50 years and a 13-person run of male Doctors (14 if we include Michael Jayston).

I think he gave Matt Smith some awkward stuff though – what was that line about Clara's skirt being too tight? Haven't seen the episode but I remember it being mentioned. I have a lot of respect for the way Smith navigated some terrible material but every time I see him he downplays it perfectly. You never feel the Doctor is arrogant, for one thing, even though arrogance pumps through Moffat's material like blood. Paul McGann was exactly the same in Night of the Doctor – he neutralized that side to the script.

That was at Peter Capaldi's request.
Well, that's my point. The fact that time lords can change gender should of been established long ago so sooner is better then later.

But I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree since I, frankly, disagree with all of your points. I find Moffat to be a fantastic writer and showrunner and I don't find him to be arrogant or overly sexual in his writing. I cannot see where you are coming from. But I guess this is why Doctor Who is a cult show, you either "hate it or love it".

Well, that's my point. The fact that time lords can change gender should of been established long ago so sooner is better then later.
It didn't help that Romana's regeneration was basically a comedy sketch. She goes through female bodies like trying on dresses and one of them happens to have blue skin and looks fairly alien. So something was 'established' there but not with any real purpose behind it.

But I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree since I, frankly, disagree with all of your points. I find Moffat to be a fantastic writer and showrunner and I don't find him to be arrogant or overly sexual in his writing. I cannot see where you are coming from. But I guess this is why Doctor Who is a cult show, you either "hate it or love it".
Let's say I find him too much that way for this particular show, where I think it's better kept at arms length. Russell T Davies alighted on the subject from time to time but that didn't last.

It didn't help that Romana's regeneration was basically a comedy sketch. She goes through female bodies like trying on dresses and one of them happens to have blue skin and looks fairly alien. So something was 'established' there but not with any real purpose behind it.

Let's say I find him too much that way for this particular show, where I think it's better kept at arms length. Russell T Davies alighted on the subject from time to time but that didn't last.
Just a question, have you seen Sherlock?

Just a question, have you seen Sherlock?
I've seen very brief snippets. It isn't for me. I prefer Holmes in his Victorian setting (I disliked the latter Rathbone films for the same reason) and to me Jeremy Brett is definitive.

NEED MORE MOVIES WITH THE PLOT OF EVERYONE VANISHING

SO TRUE, this concept is tough to find in movies

A couple more Doctor Who stories where the idea is far closer to what you're after. The Android Invasion, where on arrival the characters find a deserted village; and Invasion of the Dinosaurs, where the initial scenes take place in a depopulated London. The silence and isolation that you get in both stories is very effective.

You may be interested in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Poison Belt as well. This doesn't have everyone vanishing but something happens to everyone bar the main characters (I won't spoilt it ).

NEED MORE MOVIES WITH THE PLOT OF EVERYONE VANISHING

This was one of my favourite King short stories ever and also loved the film although I believe it was a mini series in the US

lots of people vanish

/nvm

The beginning of Red Dwarf, entitled The End, has Lister coming out of stasis to find that everyone on the ship is gone. Holly, the computer, quickly tells him that they've all been killed by a radiation leak.