Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It's on my watchlist.. but I can't find any videos of it in English on YouTube.. apparently it's also known as " ring of fire"..? Is the movie in English or Italian ?
It was a long time ago that I watched it, and I can't remember now if it's entirely in English or if parts are" suddenly Italian for a minute" as happens in some Italian horrors. (I'm fluent in Italian so when this happens I don't experience the linguistic "wtf".)

Le Jour Se Leve (1939)

This is on the noirs list and I watched it for the upcoming 30's countdown. For all the countdowns, I try to watch everything on the current lists that qualify. For the 40's countdown, I had to watch over 40 noirs. This movie is 1 of only 3 30's movies on that list, along with M and The Human Beast, and the only one I hadn't seen. Out of the 3, this is the one I enjoyed most. It starts off with a man stumbling down the stairs of an apartment building after being shot. The shooter holes himself up in his apartment as the police try to get to him. As the man ponders his fate, we are shown the events that led up to the present. A woman or two are involved. Directed by Marcel Carne of Children of Paradise fame, everything about the movie is quality.

[center]Le Jour Se Leve (1939)

This is on the noirs list and I watched it for the upcoming 30's countdown. For all the countdowns, I try to watch everything on the current lists that qualify. For the 40's countdown, I had to watch over 40 noirs. This movie is 1 of only 3 30's movies on that list, along with M and The Human Beast, and the only one I hadn't seen. Out of the 3, this is the one I enjoyed most. It starts off with a man stumbling down the stairs of an apartment building after being shot. The shooter holes himself up in his apartment as the police try to get to him. As the man ponders his fate, we are shown the events that led up to the present. A woman or two are involved. Directed by Marcel Carne of Children of Paradise fame, everything about the movie is quality.
Le Jour Se Leve is a nice movie that unfolds well. Might be worth you giving Carné's Hotel Du Nord from the year before a whirl as well if you've not already seen it.

Le Jour Se Leve is a nice movie that unfolds well. Might be worth you giving Carné's Hotel Du Nord from the year before a whirl as well if you've not already seen it.
Good call. I put it on my watchlist this morning after looking up his other movies.

Good call. I put it on my watchlist this morning after looking up his other movies.
Hope you like it - I do.

Red-Headed Woman (Jack Conway, 1932)
+
Certainly colourful at times

I always associated Giant with James Dean and during first part of the movie I was wondering, what was so special in this guy, I didn't see. The second part of the film proved to me, that his fame isn't exaggerated. Big surprise was for me, eghh... hmmm..., Big - Rock Hudson, who's artistry I appreciated thanks to Giant.
I love that movie, I wasn't overly impressed with Rock or Elizabeth but James Dean made the film, so did a lot of the supporting characters.

Grey Gardens (1975)

Bizarre but really interesting documentary. Watched it with my wife who left it after about 20 minutes and honestly, at the time I couldn't blame her. A mother and daughter live in a filthy run-down mansion will not sound that appealing to watch but the characters are just so eccentric that it becomes almost entrancing. At times it was verging on disturbing and really depressing and despite how vile the property was, you felt sorry for them, especially the daughter who was obviously so lonely. The fact that the women were close enough relatives of Jackie Onassis only adds to how fascinating this is.
I cant believe I'm rating it as high as this but
+
I love that documentary, so much I watched it twice, the movie with Drew Barrymore is good too.

It's on my watchlist.. but I can't find any videos of it in English on YouTube.. apparently it's also known as " ring of fire"..? Is the movie in English or Italian ?

4d man 1959. 6 / 10

One of my favorite unknown sci fis, it's very dark for it's day. Glad to see it mentioned.

Phantom Thread (2017)

''I have an unsettled feeling, based on nothing I can put my finger on.''

Red-Headed Woman (Jack Conway, 1932)
+
Certainly colourful at times
This movie reminded me so much of my step-mother it was downright spooky.

This movie reminded me so much of my step-mother it was downright spooky.
Was she a successful racehorse owner too?

Was she a successful racehorse owner too?
Ha, she wishes she was I'm sure. But no, she's just a trashy homewrecking sociopath who always has to be the center of attention, just like Harlow's character. The popular theory in my family is that she has blackmail material on my dad and that's why they are still married.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Le Jour Se Leve (1939)

Sounds VERY worth while!! Hafta go a-searching for it.
THANKS cricket!

Destry Rides Again (1939)

I picked this to watch in preparation for the 30's countdown simply because it's on the top 100 westerns list. I took a quick pick at IMDb and saw it starred Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich and thought, that's great. Then I noticed it labeled as a comedy and western and thought, shlt. As it turns out, I wouldn't call it a comedy. I'd just call it a well balanced movie that includes natural humor and a wee bit of music. It's a corrupt town, and Stewart plays what would later become a cliched role as a lawmen who doesn't want to carry a gun and is taken lightly. It's not as dark as most westerns I like, but I thought it was a real good flick. The cast is great and it was a lot of fun.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Swimmer (1968)

I love this movie, Fab!