Do you prefer Anime movies to be dubbed or subtitled?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was watching Ghost in the Shell, both the original Japanese language version with subtitles and the English dubbed version, and I was wondering, which do you prefer when it comes to Anime, out of curiosity?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In general, I prefer to watch foreign films in their original language with subtitles. [2]
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Born 250 years too early...
I personally love watching anime! I will watch it either way and for me it really depends on the mood I’m in at the time... Sometimes I go with the original audio and English subtitles for a more accurate translation. But, then there are times where I don’t want to have to read while watching and I just want to enjoy a movie. In which case, I will turn off the subtitles and change to the English audio track.

(Then again, I have also been known to have both the English subtitles and English audio track just to see how different the two translations really are!)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Normally yes but in animation, does it matter so much since the cartoon mouths are not moving as accurately compared to real actors and the voices are more interchangeable?

In general, I prefer to watch foreign films in their original language/dub with subtitles. [3]

It's just feel organic (and less distorted) that way

I'm not sure I prefer my anime movies subbed. I can't stand dubbed live action movies, except for the old Godzilla movies. I love the dubbing on those old flicks for some reason. But on anime? I can watch it and enjoy it either way.

On the rare occasion they are available I lean ever so slightly toward dubtitles - which is an optional (though it has to be said expensive) audio extra where a fairly well known cast stand at the back of the room and read the English subtitles aloud.

On the rare occasion they are available I lean ever so slightly toward dubtitles - which is an optional (though it has to be said expensive) audio extra where a fairly well known cast stand at the back of the room and read the English subtitles aloud.
As long as he stands really still...or you get dubstep.

As long as he stands really still...or you get dubstep.
'He'? 'He'?? I'll have you know the outfit I use most regularly consist of a gentlemen from Birmingham (that says he was once very nearly asked to cut the ribbon at the opening of an Asda in Handsworth) and a lady from Essex (that may or may not have been an understudy once on 'Birds of a Feather') who work under the professional name of Brum 'n' Trace.

“I was cured, all right!”
In general, I prefer to watch foreign films in their original language with subtitles. [3]
Hate english (or any other) dubbed anime.

Not a huge fan of anime, but when watched it has to be in original language with subtitles.
Any foreign movie tbh must be watched with subtitles.

Something gets lost with the translation. I don't know what it is, but dubbing a foreign movie, it loses something. Emotion maybe? I dunno, but something.
Kinda like Star Wars without the music.

Akira's my favourite anime, and it's awful when watched in English.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If it were a live action film, then original language 100%

But with anime, it's not as distracting watching it since it doesn't really need to match up. So I'l go with dubbed for anime.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Akira's my favourite anime, and it's awful when watched in English.
"Heeey, huuuuuuah?!"

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear