The 6th Hall Of Fame

Tools    

Master of My Domain
K-On is 7.3?

The world is full of Guaps... it's a mad, mad, mad world.

I think the less mainstream a movie is, the more skewed the rating is. Some of those movies are only being watched by a particular audience.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think the less mainstream a movie is, the more skewed the rating is. Some of those movies are only being watched by a particular audience.

That's the problem with a lot of arthouse movies. It's hard to find an accurate rating because the only people rating them are the arthouse movie lovers. The mainstream people, (like me), don't watch them, (unless they're nominated in a HoF), so we don't rate them on IMDB.

K-On is 7.3?

The world is full of Guaps... it's a mad, mad, mad world.
I would assume that most of the people who've watched K-On! (and then rated it) are established fans of the television show, making that rating meaningless for our purposes.

I've got 7 left-

Repeat viewings-
Woman in the Dunes
Pierrot Le Fou
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Das Boot

1st time viewings-
Late Spring
All Quiet on the Western Front
This Boy's Life

I'm planning on watching Late Spring next, this week.

Das Boot is long and I've seen it multiple times so I'm planning to watch that last, in case Jiraffe doesn't finish.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Life has gotten in my way. There are six films I need to see yet, but I won't get to one until next weekend at the earliest. I think I will go for Rushmore or get Broke back watched next.

I still have five and one rewatch. We have plenty of time red lantern is sitting here ready so I will get to that monday at the latest.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Can't get hold of Blue Car, it doesn't seem to have been released on region 2 dvd. I thought it was on youtube but can't find it now.

Can't get hold of Blue Car, it doesn't seem to have been released on region 2 dvd. I thought it was on youtube but can't find it now.
I had some trouble finding it, too, and ended up "renting" it from iTunes.

Sometimes it's the inverse. Some great movies have poor ratings because they have been exposed to people who do not understand it. Some plain mediocre movies have high ratings because they adjust well with the current preferences of the masses (i.e. everything with Christopher Nolan's touch).

Just for fun, the hall of fame movies as ranked by imdb ratings:

Das Boot 8.4
Woman in the Dunes 8.4
Late Spring 8.2
Raise the Red Lantern 8.2
All Quiet on the Western front 8.1
Fail-Safe 8.0
The Man From Earth 8.0
Brokeback Mountain 7.7
Pierrot Le Fou 7.7
Rushmore 7.7
The Sweet Hereafter 7.7
Foreign Correspondent 7.6
Sonatine 7.6
A Perfect World 7.5
Ten 7.5
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead 7.3
K-On! 7.3
This Boy's Life 7.3
Blue Car 6.7
Here:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9617/K-On!_Movie

it is rated 8.39 and it has 44976 ratings, the IMDB has only ca. 400 ratings. Usually anime more consistent with American aesthetic preferences tends to have a relatively higher IMDB rating relative to their MAL rating.

Cowboy Bebop, for instance, the single most popular anime in the west (among adults) is rated: 8.83 on MAL, compared to 9.0 on IMDB. MAL is a closer reflection of it's quality though anime titles that are not very accessible to teenagers/young adults like that Utena movie I nominated have relatively low ratings on MAL at 7.58, still closer to the IMDB rating of 7.2.

K-On is more aligned with Japanese tastes and less "accessible" to western audiences.