Simseboy's Film Diary 2015

Tools    

Gooble gobble, one of us!
5. january

Bonnie and Clyde (1967, Arthur Penn)

I was kinda reluctant to watching this, it has been on my watchlist for a long time. Maybe because I already knew the ending, and have read so many things about the film in books and how it changed american cinema. You kinda expect it to be a little boring. But it wasn't. The film is so much fun, I had a blast watching it and I wasn't bored a single second. Both leading actors are great, Faye Dunaway is beautiful as hell, and Gene Hackman was brilliant. The editing seems a bit lazy at some points, otherwise this film is fantastic!

6. january

Easy Rider (1969, Dennis Hopper)

Dennis Hopper is a crazy ass motherf*****. This film really might seem simple, I mean it's just two dudes riding bikes, but I really think this film is brilliant, with its crazy editing and use of music. I love this film man, even though it seems to get some hate on this forum.

I just wanna say the ratings I give is just to show how much i enjoyed a film, I don't think a film needs to be perfect for 5/5, or that it needs to be complete s*** to have 2/5. So don't look too much into the rating. But some of the things Dennis Hopper did with this film is completely amazing, considering the norm for american films in 1969.

I changed the rating on The 400 Blows from 4.5 to 5. I didn't write anything, because I didn't really know what to write, I just knew I really liked it. Now I'm sitting here in school, and I've been thinking about the film all day. This film wasn't boring at all, it is touching and funny and realistic. And it also has like one of the best performances from an actor I've seen for a long time, I was genuinely blown away by Jean-Pierre Léaud, especially considering how young he was. I also loved the music and pretty much all the technical aspects, there isn't a fault there. I don't really know what else to say, you all already know that its a great film I mean, its often seen on like top 30 or so on any greatest film lists.

But yeah I really enjoyed this film, and for some reason I can't stop thinking about it, and that in my mind has to be a good sign.

wanabe movie critique
Great, another source to follow....

Saw The 400 Blows recently, that was awesome.

I'll be watching Easy Rider again soon for the upcoming 60's list. I know I like it but it's been a while.

8. january

The Maltese Falcon (1941, John Huston)

I enjoyed this film, even though it felt like the ending was a bit anti-climatic because of all the explaining the characters were doing. Bogart is great in this, its pretty much just him being him, and he is badass. Everything else is great as well, the story is interesting and the film is suspenseful.

9. january

Mad Max (1979, George Miller)

I was kinda expecting just an average action flick, but its much more than that, you could almost describe it as an artistic action movie. There's a lot of interesting things in this film, one of them is the world that George Miller created in the film. It has a certain chaotic feel to it, and kinda messy at some points, however the story is engaging on a fun and emotional level. On a technical level a lot of things impressed me. I was kinda getting a Terry Gilliam vibe on Miller's use of the camera, and I like it when directors try to do different or interesting things with the camera. The editing also impressed me, like when he cuts to a person before he crashes in a car, and you see his eyes for just a frame, its only for a short second or so, but very effective in that way.

All in all I enjoyed the film, and i will defintely check out the sequels so I can also be prepared for the upcomming 4th movie with Tom Hardy this year.

Master of My Domain
Absolutely love Mad Max. Its one of my favorite action films.

Can't wait for the sequel coming out...

10. january

Ladri di biciclette (1948, Vittorio De Sica)

Another masterpiece that I had the pleasure of watching this morning. Its touching and funny at certain times, and also exhilarating during chase scenes, I have no clue why people call this a boring film. I'm starting to understand why these films are called the greatest of all time, besides all the importance and "new things" that people often talk about. This is a film that I enjoy, and if it wasnt because I have tons of other films I want to watch, I would certainly rewatch this, and I am sure I will watch it many times in the future. People are sometimes scared of watching these great films, I used to be. Maybe its because I think they are so great, that I need to pay full attention and really analyse and philsophise before I enjoy the film, but I'm starting to realise that its not like that at all. I remember watching Citizen Kane as a kid, or well I was like 15 years old. And at that time I didn't know the film was called "The greatest film of all time" to me it was just a film, that I really enjoyed and thought was great.

So I guess my point is, these films, you don't need to be a film professor or film director to enjoy them. They're not holy objects that only blessed film people can understand and enjoy.

Anyways I really wanna watch more "great" films like these, and also because I was so blown away with The 400 Blows which I watched two days ago.
I'm thinking that I'll be watching some films from these directors in the next couple of days: (Jean Renoir, Francois Truffaut, Rossellini) Maybe also some more Tarkovsky, or Bergman. Basically I'm tired of watching cookie cutter mainstream films, f*** that s***.

Also this isn't my first De Sica film, I had seen Two Women (1960) as well, which I thought was really good, but The Bicycle Thieves is the superior film. Anyways sorry for the novel length comment.

Well deserved for this film

10. january - 2nd film

Rashomon (1950, Akira Kurosawa)

This is my 4th film by Kurosawa, and I really enjoyed it, even though from the films I have seen, I still think Seven Samurai is his masterpiece.

The technical aspects of the film was groundbreaking at the time, and still incredible today. The fact that this had some of the first handheld camera in a film, or the first ever of a camera shooting directly towards the sun. Also the narrative structure is unusual, while at the same time being interesting. Basically its almost a perfect film, and is highly entertaining and intellectual.

My father took me to see Mad Max when it came out. It was an instant favorite, and it's still my favorite of the series.

The Maltese Falcon and Rashomon are both outstanding movies.

11. january

Rome, Open City (1945, Roberto Rossellini)

I decided to watch this after my enjoyment of The Bicycle Thieves. And I have to say I enjoyed this film just as much. I'm really starting to fall in love with italian neorealism.
Everything is perfect in this film. It has complex and interesting characters and storylines, while having a simple technical style. The film isn't boring one second once you get into it. It has a highly climatic ending, and full of emotion. This truly is a masterpiece.

11. january - 2nd film

La Grande Illusion (1937, Jean Renoir)

What a
magnifique film, just as fantastic as The Rules of the Game. This film is hilarious, especially the first hour, the second hour it becomes more of a drama/thriller type film. But Renoir has an excellent sense of humor and style of filmmaking. Definitely check out this film if you haven't, it is so damn brilliant. Jean Renoir might just be my favourite french director.

(
Yes these are imprisoned french soldiers dressed as women to entertain german soldiers)

(And yes these are the same imprisoned french soldiers playing music on kitchen ware like the dwarves from "The Hobbit")

Has anyone seen other films from Jean Renoir, other than The Rules of the Game,and La Grande Illusion? If so, which ones would you recommend?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My other fave Renoirs would include Boudu Saved from Drowning, The Southerner, The River and French Cancan.