Simseboy's Top 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

Gooble gobble, one of us!
3) Vertigo (1958)

The most personal film from Hitchcock about obsession and mystery, and that haunting score from Bernard Herrmann is just incredible, it will never leave my mind.

BlueLion is going to love this thread when he sees it.

Great list though, lots of fantastic films and you'll fit right in here

The Godfather and 8 1/2 are two of my absolute favourite films.

BlueLion is going to love this thread when he sees it.

Great list though, lots of fantastic films and you'll fit right in here

The Godfather and 8 1/2 are two of my absolute favourite films.

That's great to hear Daniel, I obviously love those two films as well, but great to hear another person liking 8½. For some reason people are usually really intimidated by Fellini, I don't know why.

Vertigo, Raging Bull, The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, There Will Be Blood, and The Seven Samurai are all great favorites of mine.

Amarcord and Eraserhead are not my kind of movies, but I enjoyed them anyway.

The Mirror didn't quite work for me the one time I watched it. I think with more focus and patience it could.

8 1/2 is next on my Netflix queue; I have no idea what to expect.

I'll be watching Persona in the next couple months and I have very high hopes.

I haven't seen The Tree of Life yet, but will, and it's another one that I don't know what to expect from.

2) Apocalypse Now (1979)

It is so insane that it is actually almost humorous, which makes it terrifying. The greatest war film by far and captures the insanity of the Vietnam War perfectly. The mood and tone of the film is so dark, that you will never forget the images you see and the sounds you hear. It also makes you think how utterly pointless war is.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Plus-reppin' mission complete!

Don't freak out on the number of +'s you got.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Obviously, I think most of the films in this list are great, since we seem to have very similar taste, as Daniel pointed out

Expect one of the most original films.

Excellent list, Simseboy. There are way too many films to comment on each one, but I like or love almost everything I've seen on here. I'm especially pleased to see Some Like It Hot, Dazed and Confused and Yojimbo, since those don't typically appear on as many of these lists as they should, in my opinion. Also very cool to see Eraserhead so high on your list.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

An inability to stay awake.

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

You might have guessed this, considering the 7 other films from Kubrick on this list. As far as I know this is the high point of cinema, a film that isn't just a film but quite literally a journey through space and time. This is a film that I try to watch every now and then, just so I can witness the power of what film can do. Kubrick showed that film can become much more than just "film", and he was the first one to do it.
A true masterpiece if there ever was one!

For those who don't like it, well, Woody Allen didn't like the film after his first viewing, some years later he watched it again and liked it. Now he has watched it multiple times and consider it a sensational movie, and he said "It was one of the few times in my life that i realized that the artist was much ahead of me". This isn't to say that everyone has to love the film, but I believe everyone has the potential to love it.

I haven't been able to get into 2001 yet, which is the case with most outer space type movies for me.

Congrats on finishing your list though; you have great taste and will fit right in here.