Simseboy's Top 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

Gooble gobble, one of us!
So I decided to do this list because of the constant requests... I'm joking, no one has asked for this. BUT I WILL DO IT ANYWAY!

I'm mainly doing this list for myself, I'm interested in seeing how much this list will change in a year or two. But would love to hear opinions on the films, and also would love to hear recommendations for films that you think could enter my list. I want to delve deeper into the soul of cinema, I have just scratched the surface.

Well anyways, let's go!

50) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Wes Anderson has never shown a more entertaining and colorful story. I've seen it 3 times already, and it is still a highly joyful experience.

If you've never really gotten into Wes Anderson, I recommend this.

49) Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

If you think Nicholas Cage can't act good, watch this film, he's amazing. A character so self-destructive, but so relatable. Shoutout to any alcoholics!

Oh yeah and also, Elisabeth Shue. Truly a beautiful woman, but damn is she good in this film as well. One of the best female performances of these last 20 years.

Because of my love for Danish Cinema, I need to have this modern classic in here.

A black comedy about two butchers selling human meat (presented as pig's meat) in an ordinary meat store, sounds fun right? I have fond childhood memories of this film.

48) De grønne slagtere/The Green Butchers (2003)

Stars two of the most talented danish actors today. (Mads Mikkelsen & Nikolaj Lie Kaas)

47) Belle de Jour (1967)

Is it fantasy, or is it reality?

Great film by Bunuel, and amazing performance from Catherine Deneuve.

Big thumbs up for Leaving Las Vegas It is high up on my favorite's list, and a very personal movie for me for numerous reasons.

Not familiar with The Green Butchers.

I likes Belle de Jour.

I thought I'm Still Here was watchable, but I felt embarrassment for Phoenix more than anything else

Big thumbs up for Leaving Las Vegas It is high up on my favorite's list, and a very personal movie for me for numerous reasons.

Not familiar with The Green Butchers.

I likes Belle de Jour.

I thought I'm Still Here was watchable, but I felt embarrassment for Phoenix more than anything else
Yeah Leaving Las Vegas is definitely a very personal film.

I highly recommend The Green Butchers or any film from Anders Thomas Jensen. He has made three films, all black comedies. I guess to compare them they might remind you of Coen Brothers The Big Lebowski/Fargo, in terms of the comedy.

Belle de Jour is amazing, like anything from Bunuel.

Haha yeah I'm Still Here, you do feel embarrassment for him, but there is just something beautiful to me about the film, and hilarious.

44) Halloween (1978)

Not just a frightening horror, but an amazing film. I was particularly amazed at how deep focus was used in many of the scenes, and it doesn't shove it in your face.
It's because of how little we know of Michael Myers, that makes him truly terrifying.

42) Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

I think this is a greatly underrated Kubrick film, mostly because people were expecting way too much when it was released. It's a great mystery, dream-like film, and some stunning images in this film. Put yourself in the character's (Tom Cruise) position, I mean what would you do in that bizarre situation?

Also think about this, the last line of the film, and the last line in cinema from Kubrick will forever be this one word:

Big thumbs up for Reservoir Dogs and Halloween. I also like The Thin Red Line and Eyes Wide Shut.