Michael Gough RIP

Tools    

Semper Fooey

'Alfred' from 'Batman' Movies -- Dead at 94

48 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

Michael Gough -- the actor who played Alfred the butler in four major "Batman" movies -- has died at the age of 94.

Gough has one hell of a resume dating back to the '40s ... including "Out of Africa" and "The Boys from Brazil."

But one of Gough's most impressive accomplishments -- he was the ONLY person who didn't make a complete ass out of himself in the 1997 disaster "Batman and Robin."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The only thing that I consistently liked about the earlier Batman movies was him.

R.I.P

Suspect's Reviews

But one of Gough's most impressive accomplishments -- he was the ONLY person who didn't make a complete ass out of himself in the 1997 disaster "Batman and Robin."
That movie was a triumph and I hope he was proud of it.

I hope he didn't die from MacGregor's Syndrome.

R.I.P.

Here's a perfect example of different generations' appreciation of the same actor. All of the other entries about Michael Gough are keyed to him playing Batman's butler Alfred. He played the part well, but I never considered it much of a part.

My memories of Gough are of his performance as a murderer in Olivier's Richard III in 1955, which was chocked full of the greatest British actors doing the Bard as only they can. Gough also was great in many of the Hammer horror films of the late 1950s, including several roles in support of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. He was great as the diabolical villain in Horrors of the Black Museum in 1959. I still remember the trick binoculars that, as the victim looked through them, suddenly triggered long metal spikes through the lenses and into the victim's eyes! Now that's entertainment!