Star Trek
Star Wars
The English Patient
City of God
Die Hard
King Kong
Casablanca for sure!

Casablanca for sure!
The only reason I feel a sense of guilt, or more appropriately....inferior. Is that certain people (not here, for I've just joined) speak about the "classics" as they're the only Movies that had any substance.

There is this Movie reviewer here in Australia, Bill Collins is his name. Who only ever talked about Movies made before the 1950's. He could've talked about the latest Academy Nominated Movies, new Australian releases, but he was so set in his ways, the notion of a well made Movie in the past 30 years was inconceivable. I think now he's doing Movie reviews for our Foxtel black & white classic channel.

Sorry to Rant , but one of the reasons I never watched Casablanca is that it no significance to me. Schlindlers List has always been a Movie I've wanted to sit down by myself and watch, but with the way life is...it's not that easy. I did see a Movie recently called Defiance, a very good Movie.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I don't understand the idea that a film has to have "significance" for you to watch it. What does that mean?

Casablanca is a brilliantly written film with characters that are vividly drawn and portrayed. The film is considered a "classic" because it is a smart and entertaining film.

As to the critic who only likes movies before the 1950s, you're right, he needs to broaden his horizons. But I feel the same way about people who won't watch older - and even worse, black & white -- films simply because they don't think they will like them. It's the same close mindedness. (I used to rag on my students who complained because something was in black and white. Used to get me so annoyed, lol.)

I'm not saying you are that way, but I'm still unsure of your comment about significance.

BTW, Defiance wasn't bad, but I'd be interested to know what you think of Schindler's List after you've seen it and if you can compare the two.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't understand the idea that a film has to have "significance" for you to watch it. What does that mean?

Casablanca is a brilliantly written film with characters that are vividly drawn and portrayed. The film is considered a "classic" because it is a smart and entertaining film.

As to the critic who only likes movies before the 1950s, you're right, he needs to broaden his horizons. But I feel the same way about people who won't watch older - and even worse, black & white -- films simply because they don't think they will like them. It's the same close mindedness. (I used to rag on my students who complained because something was in black and white. Used to get me so annoyed, lol.)

I'm not saying you are that way, but I'm still unsure of your comment about significance.

BTW, Defiance wasn't bad, but I'd be interested to know what you think of Schindler's List after you've seen it and if you can compare the two.

The weird thing is, I used to be the same way. I thought that I could never truly enjoy a black and white film. But then I saw movies like The Best Years of Our Lives, Some like it Hot, Casablanca, and Strangers on a Train, and then that all changed. You just have to give them a chance, or else you will miss out on some really good films.

Black & white doesn't bother me if it's been remastered.

"Significance" I'm not ashamed to admit I've read Shakespeare and thought to myself? Yeah, So what was all the fuss about? I have enjoyed films such as Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments and if you ever get the chance to watch Angel-A by Luc Besson. You will realise I'm not anti black & white, just a romantic for 'my time'.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Do I really should watch these: ?
Casablanca -Yes
Gone With the Wind - Probably
Star Trek - Which one? Watch The Voyage Home, that one's funny
Star Wars - The original three, yes
The English Patient - Not if you want to stay awake
City of God - Definitely
Die Hard - Yep
King Kong - Watch both, when you're done with the others on this list

Do I really should watch these: ?

Casablanca
Star Wars
The English Patient
City of God
Die Hard
King Kong
Yes, watch all of these.. and after you're done watch them again..

Not sure about which Star Trek movie you are talking of... If you're talking of the latest one, definitely watch it, It's an excellent movie.
About the old ones, some were good, some were just okay. But you'll enjoy them if you liked the show.

The English Patient
I wont comment on this, I found it really boring.
But if you liked Edward Norton's The Painted Veil, you might like this as well.

Kind of disappointed that I haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, either.
Just do it! Rent and watch it! It's a good movie.

I have never seen any of The Star Wars movies.
I would recommend you watching the last episodes of Star Wars first.

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) - Best one!
Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Back (1980) - very good!
Star War Episode VI - Return of Jedi (1983) - very good!

Most recent Star Wars episodes (I 1999, II 2002 & III 2005) are very boring! When I watched movies, I could not wait to finish watching them. I wish George Lucas, the producer, never made that movies! Visual effect was good but plots were flat. I would not recommend these episodes unless you want to watch "all" episodes.

Schindler's List. Every one I know has seen it and all say "it's so moving" and so on. I have not seen it, but I pretend I have.
Truth is I don't think I will ever sit down and watch it. It's too... whats the word.... depressing/sad/deep/hard.....

So I'll continue to pretend if ever it comes up.

Schindler's List. Every one I know has seen it and all say "it's so moving" and so on. I have not seen it, but I pretend I have.
Truth is I don't think I will ever sit down and watch it. It's too... whats the word.... depressing/sad/deep/hard.....

So I'll continue to pretend if ever it comes up.

One day you will watch it. Really, you have to watch it because it's very good movie. It's true story. I admit I did not watch it until this year! If you "wont" watch it, that is your choice. I suggest you to get over with it by watching it. That is what I did. I am glad I did it.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I havent seen Twilight, but I'm not a teenager and not really all that ashamed about it. I'll get around to it eventually I guess.

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!!
I would recommend you watching the last episodes of Star Wars first.

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) - Best one!
Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Back (1980) - very good!
Star War Episode VI - Return of Jedi (1983) - very good!

Most recent Star Wars episodes (I 1999, II 2002 & III 2005) are very boring! When I watched movies, I could not wait to finish watching them. I wish George Lucas, the producer, never made that movies! Visual effect was good but plots were flat. I would not recommend these episodes unless you want to watch "all" episodes.
Thank U, that is the way my dad says to watch them.

Gone With the Wind
Touch of Evil
Rashomon

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!!
I havent seen Twilight, but I'm not a teenager and not really all that ashamed about it. I'll get around to it eventually I guess.
You don't have to be a teenager to like it. When I went to see both Twilight and New Moon on the 1st day of releases there were grown ups where vampire costumes and everything. You should rent them both