Best Irish Films

Tools    

Wind That Shakes The Barley!!

[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Felicia's Journey
An Everlasting Piece
Ned Kelly

The Butcher's Boy was messed up.

Once has really peaked my interest.

Harrys Game was an ace tv series Taccy, I remember that one well. I remember there was an excellent tv series by Thames tv back around 1980 called The Troubles, really informative on the history from the Republican and the Loyalist point of view.

Anyway, a celebratory day so have some Father Ted

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/te...Mm9csUPfpvao0w

Another one of my favorites on the lighter side (somehow still not on R1 DVD), though set primarily in Liverpool involves a romantic fantasy around Irish tenor Josef Locke (played by Ned Beatty). The scenes in Ireland are among the movie's best...

Hear My Song
1991, Peter Chelsom

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Informer, Odd Man Out, Shake Hands With the Devil, Ryan's Daughter, The Long Good Friday (the IRA in London), The Plough and the Stars, Beloved Enemy, The Rising of the Moon, and The Night Fighters. Up the rebels!

On a milder, more modern family note, Into the West. Also, the double feature of The Commitments and The Snapper. And of course Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

Then there are the Irish-Americans in politics (The Last Hurrah), in labor (The Molly McGuires), and in crime (Miller's Crossing).

The People's Republic of Clogher
Harrys Game was an ace tv series Taccy, I remember that one well. I remember there was an excellent tv series by Thames tv back around 1980 called The Troubles, really informative on the history from the Republican and the Loyalist point of view.

Anyway, a celebratory day so have some Father Ted

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/te...Mm9csUPfpvao0w
Don't remember that one, to be honest. I wonder if it was ever repeated? Was it a documentary? If so, BBC Norn Iron and UTV have done a few of those kind over the years, especially with the 40th anniversary of the troops going into Derry being last year.

Did you get the Billy plays in England? They starred a young Ken Branagh and I've got them somewhere on VHS, recorded from the TV when they were repeated. I can remember Branagh being involved in some kind of dispute over whether they were ever going to be released commercially.

EDIT - I've just had a look on Wikipedia and the Billy plays were first screened as part of the BBC's Play For Today series.

Don't remember that one, to be honest. I wonder if it was ever repeated? Was it a documentary? If so, BBC Norn Iron and UTV have done a few of those kind over the years, especially with the 40th anniversary of the troops going into Derry being last year.

Did you get the Billy plays in England? They starred a young Ken Branagh and I've got them somewhere on VHS, recorded from the TV when they were repeated. I can remember Branagh being involved in some kind of dispute over whether they were ever going to be released commercially.

EDIT - I've just had a look on Wikipedia and the Billy plays were first screened as part of the BBC's Play For Today series.
yeah The Troubles was a five part docu . This one :
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/14664

I don't remembe the Billy plays. What a shame, they sound good.

yeah The Troubles was a five part docu . This one :
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/14664

I don't remembe the Billy plays. What a shame, they sound good.
I probably caught the repeat on C4 in '89 but honestly can't be sure.

I was just thinking there's some great Irish character actors. Thinking of Milo O'Shea who's still around, a grand age now.

The powerhouse that was Richard Harris

David Kelly who was in Waking Ned Devine, but who most of us of a certain age remember as the one armed kitchen porter in Robin's Nest

Brendan Gleeson - I love that big ol' guy. Saw him on the telly the other day and you just want to hug him!

Then there's Liam Neeson, and your honorary Irishman Daniel Day Lewis both very talented actors.

The mumsy Brenda Fricker remembered from lots of tv appearances before she got the big time in My Left Foot. Amanda Burton, lovely voice who was great in Brookie before she went all uptight in Silent Witness.

Cillian Murphy, a very versatile actor. Colin Farrell who looked like he was going to be too, but seems to be coasting through work.

any more?

Gabriel Byrne and Jonathan Rhys Meyers are both from Dublin... and Pierce Brosnan is from Ireland... around County Meath I think ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Gabriel Byrne and Jonathan Rhys Meyers are both from Dublin... and Pierce Brosnan is from Ireland... around County Meath I think ...
oh aye I forgot them and I love Gabriel Byrne too! Always forget Pierce Brosnan is Irish!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I love Alan Parker's film Angela's Ashes.

I'm with Holden Pike all the way on The Butcher Boy, and thank you Holden for introducing it to me. It's very disturbing and brilliant. One of Irish filmmaker Neil Jordan's best. Probably one of his least mainstream after works such as The Crying Game and Interview With the Vampire which were more bankable.

Quite a few great movies on here, many I need to still watch. Miller's Crossing has Gabrile Byrne in it, and I think it's the Coen Brothers absolute best film. I'm not even a huge fan of their work either, like many are, but yes Miller's Crossing is damn amazing.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

Cillian Murphy, a very versatile actor. Colin Farrell who looked like he was going to be too, but seems to be coasting through work.

any more?
I dunno. Have you seen In Bruges? I haven't but I've heard it's a joy of a film. Farrell isn't really making big name films, but I'm sure he's still pumping out good films.

Intermission is a decent little film they were both in.

I dunno. Have you seen In Bruges? I haven't but I've heard it's a joy of a film. Farrell isn't really making big name films, but I'm sure he's still pumping out good films.

Intermission is a decent little film they were both in.
I have seen In Bruges and really like it. In fact I've seen it three times with different people. Colin Farrell was great in it but my problem is that Colin Farrell was Colin Farrell, just like I've seen him being interviewed at various times in his career. Tigerland - great film , Colin = naive young and just beginning his career. He has his thrillery bit Phone Booth, Daredevil and he's mr crazy, but now recently he's on the Jonathan Ross show here in the UK having just had a baby and he's gone all soft , so he's made Ondine where he looks all dafty and Crazy Heart where he was Sweet (yeah ) . I dunno. I just don't rate the guy, he doesn't have any depth at present.

oh and I forgot Colm Meaney in the Irish actors list. Funny how loads of the older ones I remember from Z Cars...as if anyone else would remember that

oh aye I forgot them and I love Gabriel Byrne too! Always forget Pierce Brosnan is Irish!
Pft, you *even* forgot about "Omagh's Sam Neill"!

He was always being described as such on local TV shows around the time of Jurassic Park and The Piano even though I've never seen him refer to the place of his birth...

Talking of Omagh thesps, Gerard 'cousin of one of my best mates' McSorley is a fine character actor these days. He also had a cameo in Father Ted as the priest in the Mission Impossible skit.

I'm on the fence about Colin Farrell - For every 'gong through the motions' performance I see from him I'm reminded of his turn in Intermission.

It's not a bad little film and Farrell acts Cillian Murphy off the screen and goes toe-to-toe for a few rounds with the great Colm Meaney.

Not many Paddies have done that and lived.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned Brendan Gleeson. He is one of my favorite Irish actors.

Oh and to add to the list Michael Collins is one of my favorite Irish movies.

Would love to see someone do a biopic of the life of Padraig Pearse. Think it would be great to see

Brendan Gleeson is a wonderful actor... and I watched Michael Collins again not too long ago and will probably try to find a spot in my top 100 for it...

A film about Padraig Pearse would be awesome...

It's not a bad little film and Farrell acts Cillian Murphy off the screen and goes toe-to-toe for a few rounds with the great Colm Meaney.

Not many Paddies have done that and lived.
That I must see!
added to Lovefilm list as we speak!