I'm building a mega-box set of Sports Movies

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
,,For my son for his 19th Birthday. Here's what i have aquired so far, in no particular oder of awesomeness. Keep in mind he has already burnt any sports flicks that may have been released over the last 7 years or so, what i'm looking for are ones that I can purchase, so please any reccomedendations, need to be available on DVD. (I'm switching up to Blue-Ray, so the following are currently in my home library)
Brians Song

Eight Men Out

Slapshot

North Dallas Forty

Hoosiers

Blue Chips

the Rocky Series

Diggstown

Gladiator(cuba gooding jr)

Rollerball (james caan original of course)

Rudy

8 seconds

prefontaine

Best of the Best

Ali

Glory Road

Well thats it so far. look forward to seeing A- what the forum thinks of my choices so far, and B- what you might reccomend.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You've got lots of great choices. I'm probably listing too many here, but there are plenty more...

I just have to say that I like the idea of building your own personal box set for a gift.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
thanks to everyone that has contributed so far !!

I will be adding

Cinderella Man, Hurricane, hoop dreams, gridiron gang, raging bull, and the original bad news bears with Walter Matheau.

I'm currently looking for a decent copy of
the true story of Penn State football player John Cappelletti and his younger brother Joey, who has lukemia. Like Brians Song it also was originally a TV movie of the week from my childhood.

also
A made-for-television production about the first white football player to attend all-black Grambling University.

There was also a treatment on Ron LaFlore that i believe levar burton starred in.

One thing i would ask, if you are sharing a movie , could you please rate it . There are some flicks I've never heard of, and quite frankly i dont trust the ratings at imdb.

thanks again (oh and when I'm done, I'll post a pic of the complete set. I'm hoping to make it a 50 discer, though i won't include filler to reach that goal.)

A question for the board,
Has anyone seen the following, and could either reccomend or dismiss:

The Express
The Legend of Bagger Vance
Mr. Baseball

thanks again!

** for the mods** I'm a noob to the board, so if i have broken protocol by starting a thread b4 xxx amount of posts, let me know and i will delete**

thanks again everyone

I really like Mr. Baseball, but it's a average, predictable film. It's certainly likeable, though.

I've not seen it, but The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner is supposed to be very good.

A few others.

Grand Prix
American Flyers (Hey, I like it)
Days Of Thunder
Fever Pitch (I mean the Drew Barrymore version, obviously, but many will tell you to get the original with Colin Firth)
A League Of Their Own
The Champ (either version, personally I prefer the 1979 one)
The Hustler/The Color Of Money
The Dammed United
Offside
The Games Of Their Lives (2002)
Once In A Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story Of The New York Cosmos (2006)
Murderball (2005)
The Other Final (2003)

This might be of some help to you, too.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3358630.ece

OMG...no one has mentioned Hoosiers yet?!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Not a huge sports fan, but there are sports films I enjoy.

I also want to go with White Men Can't Jump, Bull Durham, and yes even Mr. Baseball which I enjoyed.

One boxing film that hasn't been mention is the one with Jeff Bridges in it from the 70's. Can't think of the name and too lazy to open up imdb.com

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201