Movie Tab II

Tools    

Gaslight

I watched the British 1940 version and really enjoyed it. It is completely melodramatic and good performances all round. It's enjoyably suspenseful, if very of its time. Best appreciated for what it is- typical melodrama.

Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)- A

I can honestly say I enjoyed most of what was offered in this movie. Not to mention, some hilarious parts, and a good satire on human communication. Overall, a comedy that everybody should see, because it does everything differently then most of the lackluster comedies today, it is clever, witty, but is still absolutely funny.

Boyz 'N the Hood (1991)- B/B+

Defintiely a definitive movie about the rough Black community. All the characters were interesting and as they devolped from child to young adults. I haven't seen many movies in this genre, but this one is emotional and brutal at the same time. Overall, a effective movie that illustrates toughness and sadness for the main characters.

Tyson
James Toback 2009

Not anything that special, if you want to hear Tyson tell his side of the story regarding his life and controversies check it out. If not your probably wasting your time watching this interview/documentary.

We Own the Night
James Gray 2007

We Own the Night started out well, it was fun and had a unique angle on the cop/drugdealer thing but started to drag on towards the end, trying a bit too hard to be dramatic and serious.

there's a frog in my snake oil

In the Loop

Iannucci's piercing and remorseless political comedy series In the Thick of It gets successfully transposed to the big screen, with most of the arch ad-libbers playing similar roles. Like a sweary West Wing injected with a bit too much caffeine, its greatest strength lies in the lancing clashes between personalities. The trappings of power & perniciousness are aptly portrayed too, but you just can't beat the ingenious insults and pithy politics reverberating across the screen. (Don't miss the deleted scenes on the DVD either - there's half a film of improv & interaction tucked away in there )

The political aspects surrounding the build up to war with an 'unnamed' Middle Eastern state felt too composite to have any bite as social commentary unfortunately. (Or fortunately, as i was happy just rolling with the internal departmental blows). They're vague enough to get the endorsement of critics of the 2003 invasion, but lack the type of retrospect detail that might make a supporter buy into that end of the story.

The shift to the 'youthful' dayglo US political sphere was fun, with the clash of cultures best exemplified by the top-dog pissing contest between the excellent Gandolfini & Capaldi. The UK end is charmingly bedraggled, altho the minister we focus on is perhaps too genuinely insipid to really hold his own amongst the others dominating the foreground. Still, give it a go, even if politics isn't your thing, everyone likes inventive cussing right?

+

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Adventureland -

Great movie, probably one of the best of 2009.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The Fall (2006)

This is an incredibly imaginative and visually stunning film from the man behind The Cell, one of my favorite movies. Though I didn't find myself quite as engaged with the story as I had been with The Cell, the visuals and brilliant colors are most certainly up to par. It was if I was in some sort of beautiful dream world and I'd really like to see more of it. Pity this and The Cell are Tarsem Singh's only films so far. Though, according to IMDb.com, he has another in the making and I will most certainly be seeing it.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've finally worked it out - Terry Gilliam is the cinematic equivalent of Nigel Mansell!

Stay with me...

For those of you who have no conception of the fluffy-faced retired racing driver let me say this: Even the most routine of Mansell's many victories was seen by the man himself as some sort of triumph over adversity. He could have lapped the entire field twice and stopped for a picnic on lap 23 before taking the chequered flag at a canter but the resulting press conference would be full of wheel rattles, pre-race bouts of flu, perceived slights tales of "nursing the car home" etc. Meanwhile his mechanics would be pulling their hair out because they'd given him something fast and with bulletproof reliability.

In short, Mansell was great at what he did but Our Nige made bloody sure we knew it wasn't easy.
Didn't he make a demand that his car was to be a inch or two wider?

I stopped watching Formula One after the "Formula Zero" event at Indy.

I stopped watching CART after the Indy series split.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Hollywood Homicide

If this movie is watched with very very low expectations, as I did, then it is a decently enjoyable watch. I laughed plenty of times but not at witty dialouge as much as something ridiculous that happened. This film probably has the worst musical score *ever*. If Harrison Ford wasn't in it, I know that I never would've even heard of this movie and there were much better uses for his time. The plot isn't a masterpiece and there is nothing to piece together. I'm not sure if it was intended that way, but it seemed like a spoof to me. There is some tension in a rather insane chase, but I can't think of a single good reason to recomend this movie.

i've just watched nights in rodanthe with richard gere and diane lane...very predictable but a beautiful film to watch throughout...yes it's a sappy love story and i usually don't like sappy love stories, but the chemistry between richard and diane, not to mention the acting was unbelievably good...this film is worth watching....

With two exceptions, I had a pretty crappy past few days of movie-watching, so I'm just going to do a quick run-down of the titles I've watched recently rather than type out mini-reviews like I usually do (because they'd all be primarily negative anyway, aside from the two exceptions).

The Exterminator -

A surprisingly good revenge flick about a Vietnam War veteran seeking vengeance for his best friend who was beaten nearly to death by a gang of street thugs. It's one of the better revenge movies I've seen. "If you're lying, I'll be back." Good (and chilling) stuff; Robert Ginty delivers an awesome performance as the man they come to call "The Exterminator."

Hide and Seek -
-

Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell -
+

Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled -

Ringmaster -

Enchanted -
+

Yep; I've been known to have my occasional spouts of bad movies watched.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Funny Games (1998, Michael Haneke)

Infernal Affairs (2002, Wai-keung Lau & Alan Mak)

District 9 (2009, Neill Blomkamp)

L'argent (1983, Robert Bresson)

Germany Year Zero (1948, Roberto Rossellini)

Paranoid Park (2008, Gus Van Sant)

Wanted (2008, Timur Bekmambetov)

Black Book (2007, Paul Verhoeven)

Adventureland (2009, Greg Mottola)

The Quiet Man (1952, John Ford)

Hard Boiled (1992, John Woo)

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976, Nicolas Roeg)

The Horse's Mouth (1958, Ronald Neame)

Hobson's Choice (1954, David Lean)

Lancelot du Lac (1974, Robert Bresson)

The Red Shoes (1948, Powell & Pressburger)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Revolutionary Road Sam Mendes 2008

Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet reunite but this is far from there characters in Titanic or maybe its what could have been if they'd got a place together. I actually liked this a lot more then I thought I would. Anyone who's been in a long term relationship can relate. The trials and tribulations of setting down and leading a "normal life". Michael Shannon jumps in for a few scenes with a fun mentally troubled character.

The People's Republic of Clogher
First off, someone really needs to do something about people's ability to post massive pictures - Ok, the site resizes them for general view but not when you're posting in a thread.

If you're too lazy to either resize it yourself or find something that's not the size of a bicycle then you shouldn't be able to post images at all.

Didn't he make a demand that his car was to be a inch or two wider?

I stopped watching Formula One after the "Formula Zero" event at Indy.

I stopped watching CART after the Indy series split.
When he returned to F1 from America (and Nige is still the only driver to go from being reigning Formula 1 champ to winning the Indycar/CART (whatever it was at the time) championship in successive seasons) he had a contract with McLaren. Unfortunately his arse was too big for the car and he missed a ton of races while the team basically redesigned the vehicle.

Formula 1 has actually been great since the race you mentioned.

First off, someone really needs to do something about people's ability to post massive pictures - Ok, the site resizes them for general view but not when you're posting in a thread.

If you're too lazy to either resize it yourself or find something that's not the size of a bicycle then you shouldn't be able to post images at all.
I like posting high res photos but alright fair enough. Ill keep it in mind

Master of the Flying Guillotine/One Armed Boxer Vs The Flying Guillotine/One Armed Boxer II (Yu Wang, 1975)

Directed by and starring martial arts legend Yu Wang; this is the sequel to the hugely successful The One Armed Boxer; not to be confused with Wang's other character, the One Armed Swordsman (who famously appeared in the 1971 film Zatoichi Meets the One Armed Swordsman, also directed by Wang).

In this one The One Armed Boxer (Wang) is hunted by Fu Sing Wu Chi, the blind Flying Guillotine expert of the title who's out to avenge the death of two of his students (and who wears a robe with a huge swastika painted on the front). Along the way Chi kills any one armed man he comes into contact with, as his search takes him to a deadly martial arts tournament where The One Armed Boxer and his students are spectators. Competing in the tournament are two of Chi's accomplices; a super tough Thai boxer and an Indian Fakir who can stretch his arms ten feet in length (ala Dhalsim from the Street Fighter video games). Also competing are a Kung Fu monkey boxer, and the superbly named Win-Without-A-Knife; a sinister Japanese Karate expert who wants to take the tournament organiser's daughter (also a competitor and Kung Fu expert) back to Japan with him...

I'm not a huge fan of Kung Fu films, but a reliable source told me this was essential so I took a punt on it. I watched the film in Mandarin with subtitles to avoid the inevitable dubbing and was mildly entertained. As expected the acting and plot takes a backseat to almost non stop brilliantly choreographed fighting. These sequences show their age with often slow moves and loud over dubbed sound effects, but the imaginative characters and fighting styles more than make up for this (not to mention a surprising amount of gore). Standout scenes include The One Armed Boxer squaring up to India's answer to Stretch Armstrong (Played by a blacked up Chinese actor), and his inevitable showdown against The Flying Guillotine. This tense final fight sequence lasts for around ten minutes and is very spectacular and gory (as the blind Chi hunts by sound and smell shredding everything in his path). So yeah it was pretty cool, which is high praise indeed coming from a non-fan of Chinese martial arts movies.

The Mack
(Michael Campus, 1973)

Campus' gritty look at pimping and the Oakland underworld was a huge success with black audiences, and is widely regarded as one of the best examples of Blaxploitation. Though I mainly wanted to see it because it's referenced (along with a host of other grindhouse favourites) by Clarence Worley in True Romance.

The Mack
is the story of Goldie (Max Julien) a small time hood recently released from prison, who sets his sights on making it big in the pimp game (or Mackin' as it's called here). Enlisting the help of some friends (who include comedy legend Richard Pryor as Slim), Goldie gradually works his way to the top, but is hampered by a couple of racist white cops, and Fats (George Murdock); a crime lord who thinks he's gotten too big.

Meh. This didn't do anything for me whatsoever. I thought Julien (who co wrote the script with Richard Pryor and Robert J. Poole) was fantastic as the charismatic Goldie, but little else about the film impressed me. Sure it's gritty and authentic, with real Oakland crime bosses appearing in the film as themselves. But I also found it muddled, with seemingly whole chunks of exposition missing from the confusing narrative, and a host of underwritten supporting characters. Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, just not a movie that captivated me in the way Jack Hill's fun entries into the genre did.

Female Yakuza Tale: Inquisition and Torture
(Teruo Ishii, 1973)

Reiko Ike returns as the ruthless Ocho in this sequel (of sorts) to Norifumi Suzuki's excellent pinku classic Sex and Fury.

In this one Ocho returns to her old Yakuza clan but is subject to a case of mistaken identity, resulting in her kidnap and torture at the hands of three deviant drug traffickers (also working for the clan). Soon she's plotting revenge by exposing their phony smuggling plot (involving young women forced to traffic fake heroine inside their vagina's) a plan that will see her clan lose it's turf to a rival Yakuza organisation. Along the way there's a score to settle with the leader of the rival Yakuza; a couple of ultra cool cops (one of whom dresses like Meiko Kaji in the Female Prisoner Scorpion series) looking for a serial killer who gouges people's genitals, more gambling, and some girls from a brothel who want revenge on the drug traffickers.

If all that sounds more than a little convoluted and confusing, that's because Female Yakuza Tale is just that. The film is full of amusing vignettes, colourfully lit cartoonish set pieces, and upbeat jazzy music, but it hangs together awkwardly, and is often hard to follow. Female Yakuza Tale has that rushed, thrown together feel (probably to cash in on the popularity of the original) and unsuccessfully mixes comedy with extreme violence, resulting in an uneven tone that fails to capture the spirit of the original. That said there's still plenty to admire here, not least the excellent camera work and lighting; plus some great scenes like Ocho's gambling match against her Yakuza arch nemesis, and the stunning ultraviolent free-for-all finale. Good but no classic.

Hanzo the Razor: Who's Got the Gold? (Yoshio Inoue, 1974)
+
Part three of the Hanzo trilogy and after the thrills of part two The Snare this one was always going to have a lot to live up to.

Here our laconic anti-hero investigates reports of a ghost haunting a pond near the Shogunate's treasury, and he's soon knee deep in a samurai conspiracy to steal gold. There's a subplot involving Hanzo harboring a dying outlaw intent on convincing the Shogun of Japan's military vulnerability, by building a cannon. Plus revenge for an old friend murdered over the possession of a priceless antique spear...

This final installment almost completely forgoes the sexual torture angle (barring one rather tame scene) in favour of political intrigue and comedy with a dash of swordplay. As usual the interplay between Hanzo and his boss is highly amusing, as is the relationship with his cowardly man servants who he paroled in the first installment; not to mention his penchant for penile sadomasochism (pictured above). The action is less frequent than it was in The Snare, as the film instead riffs on the relationships and characters established in the first two films. Hanzo's human side is exposed too with the death of his friend, and the subplot surrounding the building of a cannon has a highly satisfying conclusion. Not as exciting as The Snare which I rate as the best of the series, but still a worthwhile watch for Chanbara fans.

Other stuff I watched...

Frogs (George McCowan, 1972)

Dull nature-runs-amok movie that takes an age to get going, and delivers ludicrous non-thrills once it does. Thankfully not as bad as Bert I. Gordon's Food of the Gods, but sadly nowhere near as good as Jeff Leiberman's Squirm. Great cast (including an unrecognisably young Sam Elliott) is wasted. I wanted to like it, honest.

Paul Blart Mall Cop, (2009, Carr)- D+/C-

Hey, I was bored on a Friday night so i watched this, don't worry I didn't expect much. Honestly, I expected a light comedy and a movie that was entertaining and I have to admit it even fell short of those expectations. The previews made this look pretty funny and I am a fan of Kevin James, but this wasn't a good comedy even with today's standards. I think comedy has been pretty low in the 00's with movies relying on the worst type of humor without some sort of substantial plot to back it up. Kind of like Paul Blart Mall Cop, which doesn't really have much of a plot and that isn't embraced. It's basically about a guy who is a cop in a mall and that does funny stuff, plus a ridiculous love plot in the back. Don't worry, there are some humorous parts that are eventually struck down by the overshadowing of ridiculousness and plot issues.

The Conversation, (1974, Coppola)- A+

Wow, this movie is fantastic. It's a differenty kind of film, which has been pointed out to me, but it works so brilliantly. If you like suspense, wonder, and mystery, this movie has it, and is more subtle than other films where it's just like BOOM, all that you've been waiting for here it is. You might say that main character, Harry Caul, is a boring character and not much dialogue can be spoken from him, but yet he has to be one of the most interesting characters in a film. So much is learned about him, through dreams, scenery, and just the visual expressions that Gene Hackman brings to the table. His personality and attitude fits very well in with the plot and conflict in the movie. Here is a guy with basically no life outside of his private spy type work, being dragged along a possible murder case. So, yeah, great character insight. I haven't seen much of Coppola's work (not even The Godfather), but can already say how amazing this film is, and must be among his bests. From the opening conversation to the memorable last image you see, this film is a good one, for sure. New favorite of mine, but I got a lot more movie watching to do, obviously, as should every one else. Get this on NetFlix if you haven't yet seen it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Anchors Aweigh (George Sidney, 1945)
+

I have to admit that if you like 1940s musicals in beautiful color, sailors Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, Hollywood, Olvera Street, Tom & Jerry, little Dean Stockwell, pretty Kathryn Grayson and José Iturbi, then you'll want to give this at least an extra popcorn. It's a very simple film, stretched out to 140 minutes, but it's pretty easy to watch. It's actually most famous for Gene Kelly's dance with Jerry the Mouse in Cartoonland. Both Frank and Gene fall for Kathryn and also want to help out her nephew (Stockwell). It also revolves around getting Kathryn an audition with maestro Iturbi. It might seem old-fashioned and quaint to some, but the luscious Technicolor cinematography of 1945 Los Angeles and some of its most famous locations is to die for.

On the Town (Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1949)

This one has Frank and Gene (along with fellow sailor Jules Munchin) going all out on 24 hours shore leave on the opposite coast in NYC. This was one of the first musicals to shoot several scenes on location at the Statue of Liberty, the various museums, buildings, parks and centers of New York, New York. Gene teams up with Miss Turnstiles (Vera-Ellen), Frank hooks up with a lady cab driver (Betty Garrett) and Jules becomes the prime specimen of a hot anthropologist (Ann Miller). Together, they dance and party their way from one end of the City to the other, although Gene has a problem when Miss Turnstiles takes a powder, and he gets a new date in the form of the cab driver's roommate (Alice Pearce). The directing and writing teams got together three years later to make the stone cold classic Singin' in the Rain.

Sergeants 3 (John Sturges, 1962)

This is the Rat Pack's follow-up to Ocean's 11. It's a remake of Gunga Din with a legit western/action director at the helm, but even with all the classic plot points in place, this film cannot balance the comedy, action, violence and sadism of the original. It looks good and Sammy Davis, Jr. is probably the best part of the movie in the Gunga Din role, but whenever they deviate from the original's plot, it's weaker, and even though George Stevens' version was full of slapstick, it just never quite crossed the line into silliness as this does occasionally. I suppose the less you know about Gunga Din, the more you'll enjoy this.

Arsenic and Old Lace (Frank Capra, 1944)
-

A Capra film with almost none of his themes apparent, but that's reasonable since it's basically a straight adaptation of the play, albeit by the Epstein Brothers, who co-wrote Casablanca. This film has a strange production history. Capra shot it in late 1941 and enlisted while filming it. He got an extension to enter the Armed Forces until after he finished editing it. Meanwhile, Warner Bros. made a deal that it would not release the film until after the play completed its run on Broadway, which it did in June 1944, so the film was released in September of that year. As far as the film itself goes, Boris Karloff wanted to be in it, but the Broadway producers wouldn't release him, so Raymond Massey plays his part in what may be his greatest (straight-faced) comedic performance ever. The plot, about two little old ladies (Josephine Hull and Jean Adair) who poison lonely men and have their whacko nephew (John Alexander), who thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt, bury them in the "Panama Canal" down in the cellar, is pretty well-known and full of twists and turns and plenty of dark humor. My two fave performances though are probably Peter Lorre as plastic surgeon Dr. Einstein and Jack Carson as the new cop on the beat who just happens to have written a murder mystery play he wants to show the famous theatre critic Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant).

The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet, 1965)
+

Lumet's powerful treatise on how memory keeps alive the Holocaust within the dead soul of pawnbroker Sol Nazerman (Rod Steiger in one of cinema's greatest performances) even while he's living in the heart of Harlem where almost all the people are bought and sold in the marketplace by pimps and gangsters in a universe not that different from a concentration camp. Nazerman believes he's above all the ugliness he surrounds himself with because he just doesn't care, yet things at work and outside of it keep bringing him back to the past where he lost his beautiful wife and two children during WWII. He takes on an apprentice (the wonderful Jaime Sanchez) and tries to teach him how to learn a career but Nazerman's ghosts rear their heads and cause him to turn on the young man with horrible, yet perhaps, soul-saving results. The supporting cast is highly-unusual and terrific (Brock Peters, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Thelma Oliver, Reni Santoni, Raymond St. Jacques, Baruch Lumet, Warren Finnerty, and the mind-blowing Juano Hernandez). The Pawnbroker is a truly unique film which is still powerful today, not only on a human level but as an American piece of cinema which borrows some editing techniques from Alain Resnais and makes them connect with the viewer in an incredibly visceral way, almost as a precursor to the brilliant editing found four years later in Midnight Cowboy.

Room at the Top (Jack Clayton, 1959)

That's a good poster so I wanted to show it even though it's a bit misleading as to what exactly occurs in this film, another powerful one about people trying to live a life which is somewhere between reality and wish fulfillment... or is that reality and a nightmare? Joe Lampton (Laurence Harvey) moves from his lower class town into the city to take a better job and he immediately picks Susan (Heather Sears), the daughter of the wealthiest man "at the Top", as his future bride. Joe doesn't have any silly emotional connections to love and marriage; he just knows that he's had 25 years "without", so he wants to make up for it by getting as many years as he can "with" money and all that money can buy. Of course, Joe will have to overcome Susan's family and boyfriend. Meanwhile, Joe takes a liking to older Frenchwoman Alice (Simone Signoret, well-deserving of her Best Actress Oscar playing one of the most vulnerable, yet passionate women ever on the screen) who's trapped in a loveless marriage. Eventually Joe and Alice begin an intense affair, both physically and emotionally, even though Joe never wavers from his plan to have Susan. This film, which is certainly one of the more powerful dramas, is crammed with witty, satiric dialogue which helps to build up the point that most everybody lets everybody know what they really think of each other. Of course, Joe has to keep secrets from both his women, and as things come to a shattering conclusion, Joe is the character who seems to grow the most, or does he? It'll be up to you to decide what the ending truly means but to me it means "Masterpiece". This is the kind of film which might be considered a soap opera except that it doesn't whitewash, sell or overly emote anything, except for superb storytelling and filmmaking, courtesy of director Clayton (The Innocents).

The Impatient Years (Irving Cummins, 1944)

Jean Arthur made this flick to get out of her contract with Columbia Pictures, and she only made two more films afterwards, albeit both classics (A Foreign Affair and Shane). This one is a topical flick about a woman (Jean) marrying a soldier (Lee Bowman) in a whirlwind romance just before he goes off to fight in WWII. When he returns home, she's had a baby and when they remeet, they find they have nothing in common and decide that a divorce is the best route to go for them. Jean's dad (Charles Coburn) convinces the judge (Harry Davenport) to have the couple go back over the four days from the time they met to the time they parted to see if why they married is still something they believe in anymore. There's nothing terribly wrong with this flick, but it's a comedy-drama, and the comedy isn't too funny and the drama isn't too compelling. Even so, I give it points for originality.

Party Wire (Erlce C. Kenton, 1935)

This is a fun flick about how two people carry on a romance in a small town where everybody knows everything about everybody else because of a party line where people listen in on other people's gossip and then pass it around town. Jean Arthur plays the daughter of a small town's favorite citizen (Charley Grapewin) and Victor Jory plays a wealthy playboy who returns home and realizes how much he really cares for her now. That's about it, but the town gossips want to twist everything around because they want some of his money and always think the worst of people anyway. This down-home, little movie allows film buffs to see two icons from The Wizard of Oz, Auntie Em (Clara Blandick) and Uncle Henry (Grapewin) on opposite sides of a situation years earlier. (The duo were actually in four films together and Oz was the final one.)

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Anchors Aweigh (George Sidney, 1945)
+

Is it bad that I recognized this from Family Guy just from the sailor?