Quote of the Day

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating."

"Love and business and family and religion and art and patriotism are nothing but shadows of words when a man's starving!"

- O. Henry

“Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.”

-Henry Miller

The central struggle of parenthood is to let our hopes for our children outweigh our fears. - Ellen Goodman

This is part of the essence of motherhood, watching your kid grow into her own person and not being able to do anything about it. Otherwise children would be nothing more than pets. - Heather Armstrong

The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well is that they have a common enemy. - Sam Levenson

I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor.
Do you know your next door neighbor?

The poor do not need our sympathy and our pity.
The poor need our love and compassion.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean,
I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

~ Mother Teresa

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

“Where there is love there is life.” -Gandhi

"If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk." -Quote Haven

"I like making films about characters I'd like to have dinner with."

"I wouldn't take the advice of a lot of so-called critics on how to shoot a close-up of a teapot."

"Always cast against the part and it won't be boring."

- David Lean

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon.

All from the great, Groucho Marx.

christmas quote a little late, but better late than never

We hear the beating of wings over Bethlehem
and a light that is not of the sun or of the stars
shines in the midnight sky.

Let the beauty of the story take away all narrowness,
all thought of formal creeds.
Let it be remembered as a story that has happened
again and again,
to men [and women] of many different races,
that has been expressed through many religions,
that has been called by many different names.

Time and space and language lay no limitations upon human brotherhood.

~New York Times, 25 December 1937

[On making coming attractions for Roger Corman films] "We did all kinds of things in trailers to help sell films. We had a famous exploding helicopter shot from one of those Filipino productions that we'd cut in every time a trailer was too dull because that was always exciting."

- Joe Dante (Gremlins)

God Ted do you remeber that Italian who was so good at fashion they had to kill him.

Father Dougal in "Father Ted"

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"The execs don't care what color you are. They care about how much money you make. Hollywood is not really black or white. It's green." -Will Smith

'I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.'
- to keep with honeykid's Groucho quotes.

'Put all your eggs in one basket and - WATCH THAT BASKET!'
- Mark Twain
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.

Woody Allen

"Cheer up. The worst is yet to come." -Mark Twain

" I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood (from Pink Cadillac)

I did not know then how much was ended. When I look back now from this high hill of my old age, I can still see the butchered women and children lying heaped and scattered all along the crooked gulch as plain as when I saw them with eyes young. And I can see that something else died there in the bloody mud, and was buried in the blizzard. A people's dream died there. It was a beautiful dream . . . . the nation's hoop is broken and scattered. There is no center any longer, and the sacred tree is dead.

~ Hehaka Sapa/Black Elk (remembering the 12/29/1890 massacre at Wounded Knee )

History is a vast early warning system. - Norman Cousins

History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. - Edward Gibbon

History is the sum total of things that could have been avoided. - Konrad Adenauer