Ted Lasso

Tools    

Ted's farewell to his son was a lovely and low-key opening to season 3. Loved the soccer game made out of legos. Who is Ted's shrink sleeping with and is it even relevant? Noticed Brett Goldstein, Emmy winner last year for playing Roy, is now billed as executive producer. I see everyone is still feeling the sting of Nate's betrayal last season. How is he even still of the coaching staff? "People typing and being awkward and everything." I love that her friendship with Keeley has continued to soften Rebecca. The TLC reference was classic. Loved when Rupert had Nate's car towed. "it's a good rule of thumb to never ask a hippie to come in on his day off." Loved when Nate answered a question at the press conference with lyrics from The King & I. Have a feeling that Ted's sewer analogy went by most of the team, even if they wouldn't admit it. It's really time for Rebecca to start caring about this team more than sticking it to Rupert. As he always does, Ted nailed his press conference.

The opening of ep 2 clearly proved that a parting of the ways between Keeley and her new job is just a matter of time. This Crimm guy writing a book was a terrible idea even before w eknew everyone else was against it, but it could be an interesting storyline and I'm sure Ted only said yes because everyone else said no. "He goes through teams like you go through manicurists." Why would they discuss the acquisition of a new player in front of Crimm? Even if he is writing a book, that shouldn't allow him complete access to everything about the team. I don't know why, but Isaac's little exchange with Keeley about the shoes had me on the floor. If they're breaking up Keeley and Roy to put her back with Jamie , that's a big mistake. The Roy/Jamie encounter was excellent. "Beg to differ, Claudia Schiffer." That You Tube video was hysterical. LOVED Roy's warning to the team about Crimm and I totally agree with him. "I saw you...in Vanity Fair...fully clothed...and I cried...I'm so proud." Rebecca's mother is a waste of screentime. Crimm and Roy sharing an office? No good can come of that. Roy's balloon popping was brilliant. I guess Barbara icing out Shandy was supposed to make her more villainous, but I completely agreed with her. And I think, deep down, Keeley knew she was right. Not happy that Barbara caved. The actress playing Barbara reminds me of Melanie Lynskey. Loved Rebecca's outfit at the game...very smart. Very gracious of Roy to acknowledge the shout out from his old team, did not see that coming. Love Richmond's away uniforms, don't think we've ever seen those before. "It bounced off my face...but my face almost scored." My hope that Rebecca might start to care more about them than sticking it to her e-husband seems to have been dashed...for now. Rebecca's restroom speech to Zava was brilliant though Zava''s change of heart could have taken a little longer and what does Jamie have against Zava? Another beautiful monologue from Brett Goldstein at the end of the show. This episode was so entertaining and so much happened I was shocked to see is running time was only 46 minutes.

Trent Crimm, formerly of The Independent, is a good character and I am glad he has an expanded role this season. I don't find him to be at all untrustworthy. He is presented as a good journalist, and a fair one. The exception being his early days which coincided with Roy Kent's debut, thus Roy carrying around the article that haunted him for all of these years and Crimm's owning up to it as an example of a gotchya and provocative style that he abandoned long ago. I wouldn't even be surprised if Trent Crimm is brought in, formally or informally, as one of the Diamond Dogs. James Lance is terrific playing him, Crimm's perspective is good, and he will continue to prove ultimately to be an ally, not a villain.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK, was that Jamie in the opening scene of ep 3, and if so, all I can say is WTF? why would Ted allow Crimm to be present during that meeting? Even if he is writing a book on the team, this guy is being allowed way too much access to the team. "Don't sell yourself shot, if anything sell yourself tall and get you altered later." LOVED the staff's discussion of their favorite Julie Andrews performance. Glad to see that someone on the team is way about Zava...the way most of the team is worshiping this guy doesn't feel right. Not feeling Keeley's friend, Shandy yet...so far, she seems like a waste of screentime. What happened with Zava's contract made the entire company look like idiots. Loved Zava's kicks. Lost it when Zava asked the team to breathe with him. My first thought when Rebecca visited her psychic was that it was her shrink, which wouldn't have surprised me. Don't really understand why Rebecca sees a psychic. Why is her mother paying for Rebecca to see a psychic? Loved Rebecca's reaction to her prediction though. I guess something's going to happen between Shandy and Roy...Shandy is not even being subtle about her attraction to the man. "Nice to a put a face to the...hair.": Glad the team is finally getting that they're just going to be window dressing for Zava. Seemed kind of odd that they would bring Ted's ex back to the canvas after all this time...just to show us that she has moved on? Jason Sudeikis played the hell out of that scene though. Why do we care that one of the barflies that follows Richmond got a job? OK, Ted's ex is dating their former marriage counselor? That's funny, but it's the last thing that Ted needs right now. Not happy that it triggered the return of Dr Debbie Donwer. It's probably a ways off, but Zava is going to destroy this team as the rest of the team begins feeling shut out. OK, the guy in the opening scene wasn't Jamie and do any of his teammates know Coliin is gay? Loved Roy's distinction between "frowning" and "never smiling." The Roy/Jamie scene was excellent. Is Collin the reason Crimm has been given access to Richmond? Excellent episode.

Impressed that Brett Goldstein (Roy) wrote ep 4. Roy waking up Jamie was a very funny opening. Glad to see Ted got laid, he really needed it. Loved the references to No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits, two movies with practically identical plots released the same year. That outfit Keeley had on in her first scene was hideous. "You fellas need to calm down and just kiss." The spell that Zava is casting over the team continues to amuse, but something's got to give. Didn't really get that thing with the "Believe" sign. What was the point of blocking the players' faces on those little dating tapes? Loved Shandy's instant attraction to Jamie, that could definitely go somewhere. OK, what did Nate think messing with that sign and how did he get into the locker room even though he doesn't work there anymore? "Thank you for the help Trim...may young Robert Redford portray you in a film someday." Really trying to figure out where Nate's head is right now, he seems to be all over the place. Hate that, after everything that has happened, Rupert still seems to have so much control over Rebecca. Loved the slo-mo entrance of the team into the stadium. Didn't get the point of the Keeley and the tampon in the bathroom scene. That was an interesting moment when Rupert interrupted Nate's talk with Ted in the elevator, can't help but wonder what Nate was going to say if they hadn't been interrupted. If I haven't said before, I love Richmond's away uniforms. Why would Nate be on the same side of the field as the Richmond staff? Wouldn't he be across the field? Hannah Waddingham nailed that scene with Jason Sudeikus at halftime in the hallway. I guess somewhere along the way I missed the true significance of that believe sign. Understand the team's anger but taking on the field the way they did was stupid. Loved the reveal about Rupert that Rebecca witnessed and can't wait to see how she's going to use it against him and you know she will. That final face time scene with Ted and his ex (Andrea Anders) was lovely.

Why would Nate be on the same side of the field as the Richmond staff? Wouldn't he be across the field?
In (original flavor) football the benches are both on the same side of the pitch (or "field", if you will), so you periodically get this sort of thing:

That said, the show's overall portrayal of football is questionable at best. It's a workplace show that's tangentially about football.

There was a genuine tension to the opening scene of ep 5....everyone leaving the field trying to figure out how they lost. Tension to humor quickly as the staff discussed which way was north. The Scene with Rebecca running into her old boyfriend and his new fiancee seemed like so much filler, hopefully it will become important later. I'm glad to see the powers that be see that Shandy is in the wrong business and you just know they're going to leave it to Kelley to get rid of her. I'm getting bored with Zava and his pretentious ramblings already. LOVED Roy's plan on how to deal with bullies. Even though I could see it coming, why does that guy think the problem with Richmond is Ted? Ted is not the problem with Richmond, but I'm not sure what is. Another hideous outfit for Juno Temple...that lime green floor length skirt was the worst. Shandy's Jerry Maguire firing was funny, but went on a little longer than needed. A little surprised by the reveal that Rebecca wants a child, did not see that coming for some reason. Really starting to hate Barbara. "Gentle reminder to cancel her security badge." Didn't really care about Nate nd his date with supemodel Anatasia. The disappearance of Zava came off as kind of contrived; no athletic team in any sport should be that dependent on a single player anyway. The way Zava walked away from the team was unprofessional and childish. Ted did have a point that Zava didn't really want to be with Richmond. Jason Sudeikus nailed Ted's final lockerroom speech. Love the vulnerability Sudeikus brings to the character.

Roy's handling of that reporter during the opening ep 6 was classic Roy. Glad they didn't forget about Roy training Jamie. How odd that that guy didn't jump in to help Rebecca. "I would like to single tulip,,,an entire field of tulips would be overwhelming." Isaac was really funny in that scene in the hotel lobby. Everything with Higgins and he equipment manager brought the show to a halt. :That's like hiding poop inside a smoothie of barf." Liking this possible new romantic interest for Rebecca...there's some chemistry going on there. "I can call a cab for you and your ag of wet clothes." Loved the name of the gay bar Collin entered. It was weird and a little convenient that Ted was so interested in going out with Rebecca now. Lost it when Jamie was trying to teach Roy how to ride a bank with "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" on the audio...awesome. Loved the reveal about Trim. Like the bonding between Roy and Jamie but don't have a clue where it's going. Am I the only one who thought it was odd that restaurant was showing a game that originally aired when Ted was a child? Didn't really understand Ted's little triangle fantasy. A pillow fight? Really? Everything Coach did in this episode was so weird.

It was nice to see Sam at the opening of ep 7, I was beginning to think the show had forgotten about him. Coach's speech about total football is strange. "Miss Jones, we have a problem...oh no we don't, force of habit." Ted inviting those fans to practice has trouble written all over it. Barbara is straight up evil. Until we met them, I didn't realize that I really don't care about Nate's family. Isaac and Rojas imitating each other was hilarious. Looks like Keeley's new girlfriend might be a little cray-cray. First episode in a LONG time where I've seen Roy crack a smile. The penis ropes had me on the floor. Keeley's ensemble at the outdoor cafe was ridiculous? Why are they dressing her so weird? I feel terrible for Sam, he doesn't deserve what's happening to him. Loved what his father was wearing though. Dad's advice to Sam was perfection. "Don't fight back...fight forward." Does Sam's father know he slept with Rebecca? It was hard to tell when they met. Ted referencing the Blue Collar Comedy Tour was funny as hell, not to mention the blank expressions it elicited from the team. Didn't really see it until this episode, but I'm impressed with the growth of Jamie since season 1. LOVED the team cleaning up Sam's restaurant, that was so sweet and unexpected. Hope we get to see more of Sam's father, I really like him.

The tense meeting between Ted, his ex, and her new boyfriend was a lot of fun. Loved that neither Jake nor Ted had change for Henry. Poor Ted...his heart sank when he learned Jake was taking his ex to Paris, superbly played by Jason Sudeikis. Not really feeling Keeley and her new girlfriend. Not feeling Nate and his new girlfriend either. The writers seem to be trying to redeem Nate from his new villain position established at the end of last season. Surprised how long it took for Keeley's past to catch up to her and why now? Not crazy that Trim has been welcomed so comfortably into the coaching inner circle...something I don't like about that guy. " Ted, I ran down the stairs for this and up some other stairs." Loved that Rupert chose not to attend Nate's meeting. Nate's attempt to duplicate the diamond Dogs was kind of lame. "Now I have to find out if I'm right before I flip out when I do." Interesting that Jack took it upon himself to write statement for Keeley. The team's discussion of privacy and the internet was interesting. Loved Isaac's sweatsuit. Very classy the way he took the high road with Collin. Loved Keeley's reply when Rebecca asked if she could do anything to help. "Just think how many women you are going to help to learn to masturbate properly." Roy was fantastic with Keeley until he asked who the video was for...great work by Brett Goldstein in that scene though. Is it just me, or is Ted's son, Henry a little old for bedtime stories? It's kind of hard to read exactly what Ted is feeling about Jake, and Jason has to take a lot of the credit for that with this wonderfully subtle underplay. Coach was so creepy in that scene with Ted and Henry. How does Henry know Nate? It's a little hard to believe that a kid Henry's age would be so knowledgeable about the Beatles. Loved the phone call between Ted and Rebecca. Didn't see the Jamie reveal coming.

:Just because they're dirty doesn't mean they don't deserve to have a friend." So is it the entire team icing out Collin or is it just Isaac? That was funny when Ted put the money in the biscuit box for Keeley. Loved Ted's country song "Heart Bent". Roy really seems to be trying to change, but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Looks like Rupert is going to try and steal Jade from Nate. Coach was a little much at the press conference, but why were they discussing rock guitarists? "Everyone of you knows my ass isn't hairy, yet none of you spoke up." Loved the Roy/Rebecca scene. Rupert is so creepy, can he be hit by a bus? Collin need to let Isaac be where he is. Isaac attacking that fan was all kinds of wrong. Loved Ted's story and the fact that Jamie didn't know who the Denver Broncos are. Loved that Isaac's absence made Sam the captain. Loved Nate's suit. That thing with Rupert and the girls was creepy and I'm glad that Nate got out of there. Brett Goldstein nailed Roy's press conference. That final scene between Collin and Isaac was awesome.

What was that thing with Dani Rojas in the opening scene? Love that Rebecca has Rupert on her phone as "The Devil," Nate leaving his job felt like there was a lot of stuff payed offscreen that should have played on...what happened? "That's a complicated compliment." Another outrageous ensemble from Keeley...that green suit was the worst. "Keep your head up. Be a goldfish." The chemistry between Rebecca and Sam is still there...definitely. "Any day that annoys Roy, holiday for me!" Loved Jamie's gift to Roy. Sam's handling of Edwin was classy, but did I miss something/ Why does this guy hate Sam so much? Loved that Leslie thinks the kids in Willie Wonka died. The reactions to Roy's tie dye were a bit much. This thing of Keeley acting like she's the only person in the history of time to lose her job is tiresome and a waste of screentime. Didn't get the thing of Rebecca and the mirror either. So glad that Rebecca didn't fall for Edwin's pitch. Didn't really get the Nate on the violin thing, but I would bet my next paycheck that Nick Mohommed wasn't really playing. The actor playing Nate's father was excellent. The aftermath of the food fight or whatever it was would have been better if the entire thing had played out...just showing everyone covered in food made no sense. Brett Goldstein was fantastic in that scene with Keeley. "would you mind loosening your grip, I need to get the slip so you can reimburse me." That dress Rebecca had on in the last scene with Ted was breathtaking. Odd, but watchable episode...hope we're going to find out exactly what happened with Nate and Rupert.

Ted's mother? For some reason, the last character I thought we'd be meeting on this show. Why does the team want Nate back now? What was up with Jamie at that press conference? "This one popped out and immediately asked the doctor if he needed anything." "No...shouting is Roy's love language." I'm glad at least Coach doesn't want Nate to come back to Richmond. Barbara was looking at Roy like he was a hot fudge sundae. "That is not my cup of tea. And you know I love my tea." Are we ever going to learn exactly what's going on with Nate? Did Keeley actually use the word "precipice" ? Loved the team tearing up over You've Got Mail and the glimmer of hope provided for fans of Sam and Rebecca. Loved that Jamie had posters of both Roy and Keeley in his bedroom? Really liked the actress who played Jamie's mother. Rebecca's story about Freddie Mercury was the best. Loved the opposing team coach...he looked like a Bond villain. That was sad what happened with Jamie at the game. That was the closest thing we've ever gotten to backstory regarding Coach. Jason Sudeikis and Becky Ann Baker were wonderful in that final scene with Ted and his mom.

I know plenty of fans had problems with the third season of "Ted Lasso" but I enjoyed it and got all of the requisite laughs and tears from it that I expected. It seems the main complaint is that everything was rushed or tied up too conveniently, but I went with it and enjoyed it all.

OK, really don't get what the opening of ep 12 was all about. Coach in a thong? Did we really need to see that? I'm a little troubled that Nate has been welcomed back to the team with no questions or recriminations at all. It seems like a bunch of stuff between ep 11 and this one was played offscreen. When did Ted's leaving his job come about? ":So Long Farewell" was beautifully staged and performed. This whole episode seems to be making a 360 degree revolve back to season 1. The actress playing Rebecca's mother looks just like the actress playing the siblings' mom on Succession. Like that Crimm is being brought down to earth by learning that his book is not the gold he thinks it is. The obligatory scene of Rebecca trying to talk Ted out of leaving was beautifully written and executed. Loved that Keeley kicked both Roy and Jamie out of her apartment. "I was trying to come in soft like a human cottonball." "I'm like Michael Flatley at 11:59 PM on St Patrick's Day...I'm tapped out." Loved the team weeping before the final game. What was the point of the shot of Ted's downer therapist during the game when we haven't seen her for over a season? "Loved meeting the men you were and getting front row seats to the men you've become." Don't really understand why they would tear down that sign but keep the pieces. Crossed fingers? Even Roy? Seriously? LOVE that Roy was made new manager of the team. Really sad to see this show wrapping up, I could easily seen three or four more seasons. Jason Sudeikis and company...thank you, for three seasons of rich and glorious entertainment.