Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By Comingsoon.net, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18648491

The Brothers Bloom - (2008)

I'll come right out and say it - when I got to the end of The Brothers Bloom I suddenly realised that I had very little idea of what was going on during the whole thing. I was kind of assuming it would all be explained at the end - it's one of those movies where a con is being perpetrated, and then things go wrong, and then it's revealed that things going wrong was part of the con all along! You know, like that Ocean's number-whatever movie where the heist going wrong was part of the heist. This happens over and over during The Brothers Bloom as we keep learning what's part of the con, what's really going wrong - and at what point we depart from the con, and get diverted into Russian gangster territory. Watching the extras after the film finished, I was presented with 40 minutes of deleted scenes. Go figure. One of the deletions was that end-of-movie explanation - but Rian Johnson thought, dramatically speaking, the thing should end at a certain moment of revelation. I mean, who cares what happened, or at least why what happened happened. What was real, or what wasn't.

A shame, this one - Rachel Weisz has never been as good as she is here, and Adrien Brody along with Rinko Kikuchi add some character and punch respectively. A pair of con-men, brothers Stephen (Mark Ruffalo) and Bloom (Brody) decide to pull off one last scam. Bloom is tired of playing roles that his brother creates for him - he wants a real life. The mark is Penelope Stamp - wealthy, but lonely, and in need of adventure. The brothers play the part of antiques smugglers, and bring in Maximillen "The Curator" Melvile (Robbie Coltrane - I knew someone once who took theatre/acting/something like that classes with him once) to...I don't know. Something about an old book - I don't even know if it's real, or what's real - I got confused guys. The con is only revealed to us bit by bit - and so many things go wrong, things that are both part of the con, and not, that it got too twisted. Bloom falls in love with Penelope - the end. Too confusing.

5/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37272630

American Pie - (1999)

This was made in the late 20th Century - I think everyone who was involved with American Pie might get cancelled if it was made today. I have to admit though - for this movie, Jason Biggs was perfect, and pretty funny. I might be part of a different clique, or something, but my schoolfriends and I never discussed who was a virgin, or was losing their virginity, during that period. I mean, it became obvious as relationships started, and unfortunate walk-ins exposed goings-on during shared accommodation during our university days. But we didn't talk about it. We talked about music, movies, drugs, books -- if one-on-one then relationships. Sex just seems private. Not to these guys though. They share the nitty-gritty - the minutiae with each other. The only person who knew I'd lost my virginity when I did was myself - not even the person I was with at the time knew it. The culture I see portrayed in American Pie seems a little troubled - and I suggest that if there's more education coming from school and parents, this weirdness surrounding sex might not be as problematic as it seems.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
And Then There Were None - 7.5/10
I hardly ever watch Mystery, but when I saw Walter Huston was in it, I gave it a shot, and after 10-15 minutes, I was captivated. A great "Who-dunnit" with an interesting .... I'll say no more. Just watch it, and try not to read a thing about it.

And Then There Were None - 7.5/10
I hardly ever watch Mystery, but when I saw Walter Huston was in it, I gave it a shot, and after 10-15 minutes, I was captivated. A great "Who-dunnit" with an interesting .... I'll say no more. Just watch it, and try not to read a thing about it.

Sounds/looks good, watchlisted! While watchlisting I saw they remade it already as a mini series starring Sam Neil; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581932/

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Plenty to entertain fantasy movie fans while giving longtime fans of the game a plethora of easter eggs to enjoy.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY
(1979, Woo)

"When it comes to friendship there are just too many moves. You just can't defend against them all."

Last Hurrah for Chivalry begins with a bloody confrontation between warring clans during the wedding of Lord Kao (Lau Kong). To seek revenge against the ruthless Pak Chung Tong (Lee Hoi-sang), Kao hires two killers: Tsing Yi (Damian Lau) and Chang San (Wai Pak). But with honor and loyalty on the line, can they all keep track of the many moves from each other?

Like pretty much every single Woo film I've seen (with the exception of Hard Target), the backbone of this film is in the interactions between Tsing Yi and Chang San. Once they finally pair together, their chemistry sizzles. The thing is that although they meet very early, the film does take a while to put them together for good. The journey is fun, but it does feel a bit "questy": find this sword here, beat this other swordsmen there.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/beau_is_afraid_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72488481

Beau is Afraid - (2023)

Ohhh-ho boy. Some people are going to come down hard on this, and not like it very much at all. I remember when Midsommar came out, and how excitedly I approached it, only to find it took me a few watches and time to really come around. Now Ari Aster is taking something of a gamble on a surrealist, dream-like amble through the subconscious - examining guilt, fear and all the other things our parents give us to make life more difficult than it had to be. Beau is Afraid doesn't live up to it's insane, nightmarish first third - and at 179 minutes chances are you'll suffer fatigue watching it without a break. I did. But all up, Aster's imagination writ large on the screen is still good enough to keep me as a fan. Joaquin Phoenix is a little one-note, and goes the full journey on "almost comedically terrified" the entire time. The world that Aster builds around him though, is where he comes closest to pulling off a triumph - it's more diabolical than a dystopia, and instead becomes an insane nightmare-land where corpses litter the streets, naked hobos undertake stabbing frenzies and deadly spiders are a real menace. We only spend the first third of the film there, before Phoenix's Beau moves on to a surrogate family for the second third, and finally comes to confront his demons - living and dead, and living. I liked it - I wasn't blown away - but I had that same uncertainty the first time I watched Midsommar, so my jury is still out.

7.5/10

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2397935

American Pie 2 - (2001)

While this is unusually good for a sequel, I only really like Jason Biggs, Eddie Kaye Thomas and Eugene Levy from the cast of these. But hell - those three, and their characters, seem to be having so much fun playing around with their characters that I can't help but give this a small bump-up.

5.5/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1001101

American Wedding - (2003)

Okay, definitely slipping now, and far too much of that annoying Stifler character - thank you guys, for going out of your way to make so much of this revolve around him. (I was being sarcastic.)

4/10

Recent watches:
Her Smell 2018
+
The Last Day Of August 2012

Trespass 2011
+
Topsy-Turvy 1999

Wyatt Earp 1994
+
Lynch/Oz 2022

Liberation: The Fire Bulge 1970
+
Glumov's Diary 1923

Force 10 From Navarone 1978

The Man Behind The Gun 1953

Liberation: Breakthrough 1970
+
The Blob: A Genius Without A Brain 2019

Liberation: Direction Of The Main Blow 1971
+
Come And See 1985

A Room With A View 1985

EVIL DEAD
(2013, Alvarez)

"He's not gonna let you leave, and he's not gonna stop till he has you. Until he has all of you!"

Unlike the Raimi entries, this remake leans more into horror than it does into comedy as there is little humor in the film. Instead, Alvarez maintains a constant sense of dread through the film where nothing feels quite right. Obviously part of that is because they are five people in a remote cabin in an Evil Dead film, but I think Alvarez direction does a great job of transmitting that uneasiness and discomfort.

The catalyst for them being in that cabin is to help Mia (Jane Levy) as she tries to overcome her addiction problems by going "cold turkey". Other than her estranged brother David (Shiloh Fernandez), you can sense that the rest of the cast is pretty much doomed, but they all do a solid job within the boundaries of their characters. The relationship issues between Mia and David, as well as their parents, is barely brushed upon but it works to make the backstory feel a bit more organic.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55801587

Chappaquiddick - (2017)

During the 20th Century Joe Kennedy stood as the father of one of America's most prominent families. He'd had four sons. Joe Jnr, the most senior, died in a virtual suicide mission during World War II. Jack Kennedy became a U.S. President, and was assassinated in an event people will still be talking about 500 years from now. Robert Kennedy became a U.S. Attorney General, and was assassinated himself. Ted Kennedy had the humiliation and disgrace of the Chappaquiddick controversy. He was involved in an automobile accident in which he drove his car into an inlet - it landed roof-down, and while Kennedy was able to free himself, the woman he was travelling with, Mary Jo Kopechne, was left stranded in the car, underwater. Nobody knows the exact, true story of what happened next, for incredibly, Ted Kennedy didn't report the incident for 9 hours. I've read speculation that Kopechne might have been able to survive for quite some time in an air pocket - and that prompt emergency rescue activation might have been able to save her.

Chappaquiddick portrays Edward Kennedy (played by Jason Clarke) as a popular, but somewhat spoiled and dense member of the Kennedy family. He has a great inner turmoil, since he has to live up to his three brothers, all great men of history - but he's just not that kind of person. His father, Joe (Bruce Dern) treats him with absolute contempt - even from his vantage point of being half-paralyzed after a stroke. Despite all of this, Ted embraces his father and treats his words of scorn as if they're words of praise. He blames all of his horrible actions on his many problem-solvers, and often ignores their sage advice. In the end he can't muster up the courage to quit the Senate and live his own life - but luckily for him he's wealthy and a member of a powerful family - despite this being a clear case of manslaughter, he gets the lowest possible jail sentence, and even this is suspended. He reads his televised speech, and the American public continue to love him, despite his flaws. I've always enjoyed the interesting character study that Chappaquiddick is, and this was my second time watching it.

7/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Flick Minute., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32544949

American Reunion - (2012)

Thank goodness this is the end of the American Pie franchise for now - although I have to admit to some mixed feelings about the films. The likes of Eugene Levy and Jason Biggs made them not completely contemptable. It's also interesting to note that all of the objectionable stuff the series started with was corrected, and the series didn't feel as on the nose from the 2nd film onwards. Still, sequels dilute, and this 4th iteration doesn't manage to work up many hilarious episodes - so what we're left with is rather limp and ineffectual. There's more character depth, and it adds puzzling plot turns (for example Noah Levenstein's wife has died, adding an unnecessary note of sadness to his scenes - they used to be hilarious.) Credit to the filmmakers for fleshing out the characters - but when all is said and done, it drained this film of any fun it might have had.

4/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55801587

Chappaquiddick - (2017)

During the 20th Century Joe Kennedy stood as the father of one of America's most prominent families. He'd had four sons. Joe Jnr, the most senior, died in a virtual suicide mission during World War II. Jack Kennedy became a U.S. President, and was assassinated in an event people will still be talking about 500 years from now. Robert Kennedy became a U.S. Attorney General, and was assassinated himself. Ted Kennedy had the humiliation and disgrace of the Chappaquiddick controversy. He was involved in an automobile accident in which he drove his car into an inlet - it landed roof-down, and while Kennedy was able to free himself, the woman he was travelling with, Mary Jo Kopechne, was left stranded in the car, underwater. Nobody knows the exact, true story of what happened next, for incredibly, Ted Kennedy didn't report the incident for 9 hours. I've read speculation that Kopechne might have been able to survive for quite some time in an air pocket - and that prompt emergency rescue activation might have been able to save her.

Chappaquiddick portrays Edward Kennedy (played by Jason Clarke) as a popular, but somewhat spoiled and dense member of the Kennedy family. He has a great inner turmoil, since he has to live up to his three brothers, all great men of history - but he's just not that kind of person. His father, Joe (Bruce Dern) treats him with absolute contempt - even from his vantage point of being half-paralyzed after a stroke. Despite all of this, Ted embraces his father and treats his words of scorn as if they're words of praise. He blames all of his horrible actions on his many problem-solvers, and often ignores their sage advice. In the end he can't muster up the courage to quit the Senate and live his own life - but luckily for him he's wealthy and a member of a powerful family - despite this being a clear case of manslaughter, he gets the lowest possible jail sentence, and even this is suspended. He reads his televised speech, and the American public continue to love him, despite his flaws. I've always enjoyed the interesting character study that Chappaquiddick is, and this was my second time watching it.
Good movie. Jason Clarke always good.

Chappaquiddick - (2017)

Like you, I thought it was a fairly faithful representation of the known facts, and was an interesting film. At the time of the accident everyone knew that Kennedy was lying, but he had too many friends in high places. However that incident probably kept him from running for President.

Sounds/looks good, watchlisted! While watchlisting I saw they remade it already as a mini series starring Sam Neil; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581932/
So while trying to stay very vague here: the original novel by Agatha Christie is a very interestingly structured mystery. Different adaptations make some very radical changes to the characters and even the ending.

I absolutely adore the 1945 version, which is funny and moves along at a great clip.

The miniseries from a few years back is a radically different take on the material---much more faithful to the original story and very dark in tone--that I also enjoyed.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=44974518

X+Y - (2014)

Sometimes all I need from a drama is for it to defy worn out formulas, and that's exactly what X+Y did to satisfy me last night, taking a hard left turn and truly subverting my expectations and surprising me. This Morgan Matthews movie has a Mike Leigh feel about it - reintroducing Sally Hawkins with Eddie Marsan (from Happy-Go-Lucky), and throwing in Rafe Spall along with youngsters Asa Butterfield and Jo Yang - and it basically explores how being different and gifted isn't always the best of trade-offs. It's about a severely autistic Maths prodigy, Nathan Ellis (Butterfield) going to the International Mathematical Olympiad (it's a thing) - jetting off to Thailand despite his difficulty in social situations. Nathan wants human relationships to resemble good old trustworthy mathematics (even his eating habits are dictated by mathematical logistics) but people coalesce around the agreeable boy - he has his mother Julie (Hawkins - who he treats as coldly as a stranger), his long-suffering and eccentric teacher Martin (Spall - a weed smoking, M.S. suffering ex-prodigy whose own trip to the Maths Olympiad was a disaster) and young Chinese competitor Zhang Mei (Jo Yang) - a cute girl with whom Nathan becomes inseparable. Nathan was in a car accident with his father at a young age, and witnessed his death - it's tense to see him struggle, pushed to contribute by Olympiad organiser Richard (Eddie Marsan), but this isn't the kind of film where Nathan is relentlessly bullied. All of the gifted students struggle with expectations, and have to deal with failure - if you think you know where X+Y is headed when it introduces all of it's narrative elements, you might be surprised. I was, and found it a very enjoyable film.

7/10

By A24, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=60104242

Midsommar - (2019)

I jotted down my thoughts on Letterboxd after watching the director's cut of Midsommar - "I approached Midsommar expecting/hoping for Hereditary 2, and it was so different that I've spent a long time and several viewings trying to get a firm grasp on it. It's not easy - Ari Aster makes me so damned uncomfortable with Dani (Florence Pugh) having to deal with the grief of her family's suicide, and a relationship that is so toxic it gives off all kinds of poisonous vibrations. The fact that Dani and Christian (Jack Reynor) head to a Swedish death cult with a few of their a-hole American friends (bumping into just as disagreeable British tourists) doesn't help to ease the tension and discomfort.

I'm never in this film's groove - I'm always reacting to the dark negativity, even as we spend our time in the colour and marvel of the Swedish landscape. Friendly faces abound, but the rituals make us feel uneasy at first, and then the audience is screaming at these kids to run for their lives. I was asking for something dark, horrific and testing - and unfortunately I got what I asked for. Burn it all down. For a film about grief, the death of relationships, the ending of things so we can face a new beginning - it's a tough one. It's an ordeal. Grief is never, ever, pretty - and there are few films about it. I'll spend my life trying to come to grips with Midsommar - but it keeps calling to me, so I keep returning. I'm guessing that's a good thing? It's certainly not what I was expecting from Aster - and that is a good thing. If I'd got what I'd expected, it would have meant he was content to spin those wheels. Instead, he challenges."

8/10

By Movieposter.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12282039

Ever After - (1998)

I was less than kind to Ever After - it was okay, but there was some terribly trite moments that spoiled the overall good work of those making it. I wrote "A pop song during the end credits and lines like "I come here not as a prince, but as a man in love!" are enough for me to mark down this retelling of the classic Cinderella story. I was finding it hard to believe that Prince Charming would fall for Drew Barrymore in any event. Richard O'Brien appears in a small role - and I'm guessing with all sincerity that the production allowed him to wear all the marvelous gowns during the days he wasn't needed on set. Anjelica Huston was the key actress, and best thing about Ever After - a good idea pulled off with competency."

6/10

By Stephen King - Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=53533851

The Dark Tower - (2017)

Good lord, I wasn't expecting anything great - but this film is pure rubbish. Stephen King's Dark Tower was a work that spanned seven novels - some of them lengthy. Here we have the adaptation, coming in at 95 minutes and pretty much doing it's own thing. You can see that one of the producers overseeing the project wanted a Marvel film. Another producer wanted to try to stay true to the story. Another wanted to start a franchise. What we have is a derivative and consistently unenjoyable corporate product. Lip service to a mammoth and labored work of fiction in the most crass, commercial way possible. To all those responsible : Shame on you.

3/10

By Stephen King - Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=53533851

The Dark Tower - (2017)

Good lord, I wasn't expecting anything great - but this film is pure rubbish. Stephen King's Dark Tower was a work that spanned seven novels - some of them lengthy. Here we have the adaptation, coming in at 95 minutes and pretty much doing it's own thing. You can see that one of the producers overseeing the project wanted a Marvel film. Another producer wanted to try to stay true to the story. Another wanted to start a franchise. What we have is a derivative and consistently unenjoyable corporate product. Lip service to a mammoth and labored work of fiction in the most crass, commercial way possible. To all those responsible : Shame on you.

3/10

Elba's done more than his fare share of garbage. It's too bad that he's been wasted on so many duds.

Ever After - (1998)I was finding it hard to believe that Prince Charming would fall for Drew Barrymore in any event.
I could understand your viewpoint on the rest of the film, but this? You. Are. Mental.