What was the last film to become one of your favourites?

Tools    

I saw two classics last year that became favorites: The Killing and High and Low. As for this decade, I've been enjoying it, but Mad God is the only one so far.

Brooklyn.
A sleeper.
Fantastic film IMHO.

Didn't think too much to Nolan's "Dunkirk" on the first time of viewing but re-watching it I think it's superb. It's definitely up among my favourites at this moment.
Yeah I felt the same. Was expecting more, but a good pic.

The Guilty (1947)
Never heard of The Guilty but I just looked it up and it has a real interesting premise...and I have it too. So now I'll have to watch it sometime.

The Misfits is a damn good film but a real hard watch. First you have the horses being rounded up in a cruel and harsh way. You also have the last movie of Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. It's rather ominous watching that film knowing they will both be gone in only a short time.

I just saw four really good films, all of which I borrowed through inter-library loan. I have yet to actually buy them, but at present they're on my shopping list. I have no idea where they're going to fit on my favorites list, but I'll work that out eventually.

I love All About Eve and Wise Blood is a very intersting film, uneven because it's several stories stitched together and Huston was working on a shoestring budget. But still very worthy of a watch.

That was such a well done & intelligently written film.

Didn't think too much to Nolan's "Dunkirk" on the first time of viewing but re-watching it I think it's superb. It's definitely up among my favourites at this moment.
I only seen it once and didn't think much of it either, except for one scene where the men are lying on the beach as a plane flies overhead and drops bombs on them...The scope of that scene with a depth of field that seems to go back a mile, was a thing of sheer cinematography beauty. That might be the best composition scene (from a visual standpoint) that I've ever watched.

Probably Paris, Texas, back in 2020.
I seen that for the first time only recently. I totally get how people could love it, I thought it was pretty great myself.

Brooklyn.
A sleeper.
Fantastic film IMHO.
There's a lot of people here who like Brooklyn, including me!

The Hanging Tree

I first watched it in late 2019 in the lead up to the MoFo Westerns Countdown. I wasn't expecting much because I'm not big on Westerns and I dislike most of the 1950s movies that I've seen, but I loved it. I've acquired it on bluray since then and have watched it several more times.

If I ever do another personal top 100 countdown, it will definitely be on there somewhere.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - This is one of my favorite MCU movies.

These were my favorite first-time watches for the 2010s countdown:
Christopher Robin (2018)
Midnight Sun (2018)
Blue Jay (2016)
Hearts Beat Loud (2018)

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile (2022) - I watched this for 2022 MoFo Film Awards thread, and I was thought it was a lot of fun.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
1. The Godfather
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. Shutter Island

Hi,
Avatar The way of water is my favorite movie.

I forgot the opening line.
Only counting the upper extremity (I've experienced so many new favourites lately)

Older movies :

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
The Travelling Players (1975)

Newer movie :

The Quiet Girl (2022)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I was left in awe after I watched The House that Jack Built. It is mean-spirited and cutthroat, and has a lot of commentary on the cruelty of man. I feel like it is the type of film I was always looking for with a serial killer film and somebody finally did it. Before that, I left the theater after seeing The Nice Guys and thinking it was a new favorite (very different types of films).

Only counting the upper extremity (I've experienced so many new favourites lately)

Older movies :

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
The Travelling Players (1975)

Newer movie :

The Quiet Girl (2022)
I really need to see The Travelling Players.

I've only seen one Angelopolous, Landscape in the Mist, which I was somewhat underwhelmed by. But I've been meaning to see more and this one seems to be the one most likely to get me on board his style.

The Travelling Players is a 10/10 for me and was also one of my nominations in a Hall of Fame thread. Its 3.5+ hour runtime will turn some people off, so it might be good to watch some of Angelopoulous' other films before getting to it (such as Landscape in the Mist), but if you think you're up for it, I would definitely recommend it.

As Good As It Gets