Post-2010s list, what should the next countdown be?

Tools    

17. Films where a supporting character gets shot on the side while saving the day and nobody realizes it until he lifts his coat in the getaway car and mutters "I did good, right" before dying
I'd rather we do Films Where A Character Gets Shot But Then Opens Their Eyes and Looks Down and Opens Their Shirt to Reveal a Bulletproof Vest.

never mind neo noir that just restricts things to movies only made 1940 and 1959.
Not sure if I follow this. Neo noir doesn't refer to movies made between 1940 - 1959.

Not sue if I follow this. Neo noir doesn't refer to movies made between 1940 - 1959.
There's some conversation earlier in the thread about how that period is "true" noir, during the period where it was conceived/popularized, and everything else is something else (like "neo noir").

Basically it's the "everywhere else it's sparkling white wine" thing, but for movies.

There's some conversation earlier in the thread about how that period is "true" noir, during the period where it was conceived/popularized, and everything else is something else (like "neo noir").

Basically it's the "everywhere else it's sparkling white wine" thing, but for movies.

I'll have to read through those discussions as 1940 - 1959 would be referred to as film noir, while neo noir came after that.

Does @Holden Pike even want to host another countdown?

Second We have two voting ballots, one ballot is for noirs from the 1940s-1950s. The second ballot is for neo noirs from 1960 to current. IMDB movie page is used to qualify the movies, if the tag 'noir' or 'neo-noir' occurs anywhere on the movie page then that movie qualifies. People can send both ballots or just one of them.
This is just a variation on the simultaneous countdowns idea which I still think is more trouble than it’s worth and could dilute participation for both topics. If we end up allowing neo noir or just do crime, there is absolutely nothing stopping noir purists from collaborating on an unofficial Classic Noir countdown and putting it in as a custom list.

The trick is not minding
Does @Holden Pike even want to host another countdown?

This is just a variation on the simultaneous countdowns idea which I still think is more trouble than it’s worth and could dilute participation for both topics. If we end up allowing neo noir or just do crime, there is absolutely nothing stopping noir purists from collaborating on an unofficial Classic Noir countdown and putting it in as a custom list.
Both of these pints, yes. Let’s worry about a host AFTER we pick a genre, as I suspect A) ahost will present themselves once we’ve pick one and B) someone has already decided they would like to host but are waiting for the genre they prefer before doing so.
No need to put the cart before the horse.

As for the second, it seems like we’re unnecessarily making noir, and by extension neo noir, more complicated then it needs to be. I agree with we don’t need to separate the two, nor do we need to do any separate lists/ballots. However, Again, let’s pick a genre first and then decide the logistics before the countdown commences.

At this rate, we can make a countdown of all the possible countdowns we can make. Here's my ballot...

8. Films with a dog
16. Christmas films
20. Disappointing films
25. Best Charles Laughton films
Hey, I like the sound of these four

9. Biopics
19. Biopics
Not sure about these two though, they sound just a little too similar to me - maybe #19 could be switched to a Films without a dog countdown just for balance?

Not sure if I follow this. Neo noir doesn't refer to movies made between 1940 - 1959.
I thought that's what it meant when I looked it up on Wiki, I rechecked it and I was wrong it said, Neo-noir is a revival of film noir, a genre that had originally flourished during the post-World War II era in the United States—roughly from 1940 to 1960.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Since Noir is proving surprisingly complicated, how about we all just agree to do Musicals?

(Eligibility simple: do characters burst into song? Yes - it's a musical. No - it's not a musical.)

The trick is not minding
Since Noir is proving surprisingly complicated, how about we all just agree to do Musicals?

(Eligibility simple: do characters burst into song? Yes - it's a musical. No - it's not a musical.)
Would this include movies about musicians that are normally considered biopics? This question was raised earlier, but yeah, I agree it would be far less difficult to navigate for a countdown.
So far, I’m sticking to Noir/Neo Noir, Musicals and War and I think that pretty much covers it for now.

Would this include movies about musicians that are normally considered biopics? This question was raised earlier, but yeah, I agree it would be far less difficult to navigate for a countdown.
So far, I’m sticking to Noir/Neo Noir, Musicals and War and I think that pretty much covers it for now.
If we are talking about movies like Bohemian Rhapsody sure because there's music in it. The movies that I say that shouldn't count are those one off songs in movies. If you count those you'll get people going well this person in this movie sang this song.

If The Wedding Singer doesn't count, I'll riot.

It only counts if Adam Sandler is in it of course

Here's my last out of the box pitch for a creative solution to a noir countdown.
It's a great idea that I more or less already proposed. But hey you got my vote. Probably. Maybe.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Noir isn't problematic if we use the noir tags on IMDB like we did for the Sci Fi and Horror countdowns. If anything I'd say musicals would be more problematic. See the below posts:

If we are talking about movies like Bohemian Rhapsody sure because there's music in it. The movies that I say that shouldn't count are those one off songs in movies. If you count those you'll get people going well this person in this movie sang this song.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
In general I'm against expanding/diluting any genre just because it will get more people to vote. "I'll only turn in a ballot for X if it also includes Y and Z." I'd rather have a smaller list that is actually about the genre. We didn't expand 2000s movies to include 1990s movies just because some people didn't like them, so why add crime movies to noir or biopics to musicals?

It's an opportunity to explore the genre, people don't have to have their 25 ready to go from the outset. And partial ballots are always welcome. I managed to turn in a ballot of 25 Westerns without including other movies where people wear cowboy hats!