The Fabelmans
0%
0 votes
Tár
5.00%
1 votes
Triangle of Sadness
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five scripts up for Original Screenplay are...

The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Triangle of Sadness
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Either Banshees or Everything. Both are undeserving if you ask me.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I forgot the opening line.
Anything but The Fabelmans, not that I hate The Fabelmans, just that the other four are so much better. The Banishees of Inisherin might just about be the closest to being worthy.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Welcome to the human race...
Either Banshees or Everything. Both are undeserving if you ask me.
I'd rather ask what you think is deserving.

I'd rather ask what you think is deserving.
I was displeased with all the movies in this category. As a matter of fact, there wasn't a movie I had seen in 2022 that I feel deserves this award. It's probably the least exciting year in film in my lifetime.

I haven't seen Triangle of Sadness, but any of the other 4 would be deserving, in my opinion. I'm currently predicting The Banshees of Inisherin to win.

The Academy voters sometimes seem to use the screenplay categories as a way to acknowledge a film they like but that they aren't voting for Best Picture or Best Director. Spreading the wealth, a bit. As in recent screenplay winners Belfast, Get Out, Manchester by the Sea, Call Me By Your Name, BlacKkKlansman, and The Big Short. All of those were also written or co-written by their directors. But that isn't to say the screenplay awards are always used for an attaboy runner-ups, certainly, as recent Best Picture winners CODA, Parasite, Green Book, Spotlight, Birdman, and Moonlight all won writing Oscars for their directors. All of the nominees in this category are writer/directors and all five are nominated here and Best Director, and all five of their films are up for Best Picture. Which makes handicapping this category a little tough.

Ruben Östlund is extremely unlikely to win Best Director and not much better odds for his screenplay. It is good that he has broken the nomination barrier, but he’ll have to wait for a subsequent project to give him a shot at actually winning and comfort himself with the international prizes he has already won. While Östlund may have too dark and twisted a vision to ever win an Oscar, Todd Field seems almost destined to win one of these films. His first two movies, In the Bedroom and Little Children, garnered him Adapted Screenplay nominations and Tár lands him here. Doesn’t seem to be enough momentum behind the movie to get a win, but the actor/writer/director is three for three in quality output, as far as his Academy brothers and sisters are concerned.

The Banshees of Inisherin is Martin McDonagh’s third nomination in this category (In Bruges and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri). If the votes go elsewhere for Picture and Director this may be the voters’ best chance to reward him. If he doesn’t win this year I wouldn’t bet against it happening eventually. Four features in and he has six nominations plus his win for his live-action short Six Shooter.

Like Field and McDonagh, Tony Kushner is also enjoying his third nomination. The Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning author of Angels in America is on his fourth film with Steven Spielberg, following Munich, Lincoln, and West Side Story, having been nominated for the first two projects. Spielberg is an impossibly famous and successful filmmaker and he has been credited as a co-writer before including his early own projects Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Sugarland Express plus projects he produced such as Poltergeist and The Goonies as well as taking over and reworking Kubrick’s A.I. – Artificial Intelligence. While Spielberg has TWENTY-ONE nominations as a director and producer, this is his first as a writer. Of course being a version of his own life it is appropriate. The momentum for Best Picture and Best Director seems to be moving away from The Fabelmans so his admirers may choose to reward his most personal film yet in this category especially as his co-writer is an incredibly respected and honored playwright. It may make them the team to beat. Kenneth Branagh won this award just last year for his autobiographical Belfast.

The Daniels just won the Directors Guild of America Award for Everything Everywhere All at Once. That does make them heavy favorites to repeat as Best Director at the Oscars. IF that does come to pass that doesn't mean there can't be splits with Best Picture or here for Original Screenplay. But if you think this is one of those years where one movie might steamroll over a bunch of these categories it could well be the year for Daniels Kwan & Scheinert. And while their multiverse tale may not be unique to comic book aficionados, surely the overlapping realities and the fun they have with it may well strike the average Oscar voter as wildly original?

Again, the Writer's Guild of America (WGA) and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences have different eligibility rules which makes their nominees and winners vary quite wildly sometimes, but that being said the WGA Award for Best Original Screenplay did indeed go to The Daniels last night for Everything Everywhere All at Once. This has matched the Oscar winner only six of the last twelve years, but the EEAAO momentum is undeniable. The Fabelmans and Tár were the two other WGA Award nominees that made the Oscar cut, but while the WGA also liked The Menu and Nope their spots are taken by The Banshees of Inisherin and Triangle of Sadness at the Oscars.

Martin McDonagh or Spielberg may still hear one of their names called for this prize come Oscar night but it is looking like it may be a huge showing for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Either Triangle of Sadness, Banshees or Everything. I voted Banshees coz i liked it best!