Gomorrah

Tools    

Finally! Decided to watch the entire thing again before I get into the final season.
So I rewatched the first 4 seasons in their entirety. So very good.

Now I will rewatch the movie Immortal and then start afresh with the final season 5 of Gomorrah.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about season 5, @Stirchley
Yup. Four more episodes to go.

Does nobody in Napoli use a smart phone is my first thought.

@honeykid first spoiler:

WARNING: spoilers below
So very disappointed that Grazia Levante was murdered right off. Forcing her to marry Little Monk was nuts, but an opportunity to infuse the final season with a great female lead was lost. I envisioned her transcending from a young woman who “always keeps her eyes down” to a strong female like my favorite Patrizia Santoro, also murdered. So annoying!

Yup. Four more episodes to go.

Does nobody in Napoli use a smart phone is my first thought.
Azzurra did in the final season, but not until near the end.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about season 5, @Stirchley
I want to hear yours too before I put this to bed.

If I’m honest I would say the final season was my least favorite. And maybe it was supposed to be this way as I’ve thought later. Everyone is dead including our two heroes. Everyone we knew all these years is gone & I have no clue who the new ones are. So maybe the show runners intended it to be this way. To me season 5 disintegrated & so did everyone’s life in Napoli.

Somewhat disappointing final season then, but what a show over the years. I absolutely loved it. Favorite character besides Ciro & Gennaro would be Patrizia. Beautiful woman who was killed though she did nothing wrong.

@Stirchley

WARNING: "Gomorrah" spoilers below
I'd agree with it being the least favourite of the 5. I was good for the first episode, but the reveal that Ciro was alive was a big blow. Loved the character, but they killed him and they didn't do it in a way which you can explain well later and see that you were tricked. I thought it was very poorly handled and it took me out of many of the remaining episodes until the last couple. Had I not loved the show so much, I might've even ended it there. It's a been a while since I saw it, so I'm a little hazy on what happened and when, but I liked Blue Blood being brought back and that whole storyline with Ciro really becoming The Immortal.

Gomorrah has always been as true as possible and that's why everyone has to die. Almost everyone in that life does before their time, be it outside or inside prison, the majority of the rest spend decades/end their days in prison, so I exoected them to die because for them not to would've meant bringing Ciro back even more pointless. They had to die together, whether that was Butch and Sundance style or at each others hands ala Hamlet and Laertes, it had to be that way.

I don't know that I have a favourite character beyond the main two. They all just serve a purpose which, for the most part, is their role. I'd agree that Patricia is someone we're supposed to identify with a little more than the rest. I don't agree that she did nothing wrong, though. She got involved and that sealed her fate. That's the moral of the story. However you get involved, born to it, crave it, forced into it, you're not innocent and you will suffer/pay the price.

If I hadn’t seen L’Immortale I would have thought it improbable that Ciro was still alive. Another greatly missed opportunity was not to create a romance between Vera (I think that was her name) & Ciro. Vera became a widow in the movie & she & Ciro obviously were attracted to each other. I hoped she would appear in season 5, but she didn’t.

So which one is Hamlet? Gennaro or Ciro?

I didn’t explain myself well regarding Patrizia. She had pints of blood on her hands, but I meant she did nothing wrong regarding her visit to the District Attorney or whatever he’s called in Italy. She didn’t rat out Gennaro as he thought she did & he made a huge mistake shooting & killing her.