1980s-1990s Underwater Sci-Fi film

Tools    

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Hi everyone. I'm needing some help finding a movie from the 80s-90s. My memory is very vague unfortunately. But I'm pretty sure it was set underwater on some kind of station. It involved some sort of alien which from memory looked a bit like a manta ray. The station crew think the alien is bad but i think it was actually good. The crew find some sort of organic pod and near the end of the film they find out its a human inside it from a previous expedition in some kind of suspended animation. The aliens want to protect the humans from some kind of disaster.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

There was a whole glut of underwater-based sci-fi monster movies in the late '80s and early '90s: The Abyss, Leviathan, DeepStar Six, The Rift/Endless Descent, and Lords of the Deep. I believe you want the latter...

Lords of the Deep
1989, Mary Ann Fisher

It was also given the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" treatment...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra